First 3 cds you ever bought?

megaguns1982

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah.  You get so caught up though, in these eulogizing documentaries and books and stuff that you (or I rather) sometimes find yourself repeating this shit like its a fact, or arguing the merits of one era over the other and bringing up these generalisations when, broadly speaking, its all a load of sociological bollocks.  What is important though, is the work, whether it be your Are You Experienceds or your Nevermind the Bollockses, thats where the substance lies I think.

Iggy Pop made a point in his Stooges documentary that like...a lot of it stinks, that 60s flower power stuff, it was just a bunch of false bandwagon jumping bollocks, I can't remember the exact quote but he conveys it in quite a good way, whilst referencing The Marrakech Express as the particular load of bollocks that he found most objectionable.  

'In the 50s they figured out how to suck the life out of rock n roll, on the one hand lets replace Elvis with Fabian and at the same time we'll run out Perry Como on em.  This was happening again (in the mid 60s)  Rock n roll at the time was being co-opted by a political industrial complex of corrupt performers and evil manager owners who were going to create whatever they thought was the best product for them whether you want it or not, we're gonna shove this down your little throats, they rejected their own country and their own people, its cultural treason.  There was more of the American Idol, more of the corny talent show suggested to the American audience at that time than people like to admit...I mean somebody needs to say some of the biggest peace/love acts of the California 5 years of love were created in meetings and the stuff smells.  I say it still smells'.

I think he's talking in part about certain aspects of the British Invasion there as well as the flower power stuff.  He's makes a solid point too, America had some great rock n roll bands in the 60s that they kind of...shunned, sold out, The Standells, Count Five, The Stooges, The Barbarians, The Doors...and most of em they kinda swept under the carpet because they wanted like, Hermans Hermits.  I mean you've got to wonder if Morrison wasn't such a sexy motherfucker, whether a band like that might've suffered the same fate as the aforementioned.  I like to think the work was strong enough so as to get itself at least a strong cult following.  Lets face it, the industry turned on The Doors pretty quick too.  Cultural treason as Iggy says.  I agree with him, the industry kinda sold their own people out.

Great analysis there my man. I can guarantee you that if Jim Morrison had looked like Van Morrison The Doors might've been a one hit wonder. And I absolutely love The Doors. Come to think of it, what if any of the icons didn't look great? I mean can you imagine if Elvis looked like Christopher Cross or somebody. Roy Orbison is an outlier because he was other worldly. Or if The Beatles looked like a bunch of GG Allins.😄 Stuff to ponder. 

Edited by lame ass security

3 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Great analysis there my man. I can guarantee you that if Jim Morrison had looked like Van Morrison The Doors might've been a one hit wonder. And I absolutely love The Doors. Come to think of it, what if any of the icons didn't look great? I mean can you imagine if Elvis looked like Christopher Cross or somebody. Roy Orbison is an outlier because he was other worldly. Or if The Beatles looked like a bunch of GG Allins.😄 Stuff to ponder. 

And some people’ll tell ya that image and style are meaningless :lol:  If you think about it they carried on the trend with American punk, there is no reason why The Ramones shouldn’t’ve been huge in America.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

It was 1993 I was 10.
Here’s the 4 songs that had a huge impact up to that point. So I got these 4 cds:

GNR Lies 1989 - Patience >>> Only song I knew and liked. Became an instant hardcore Gnr fan 5yrs later at 15 when I heard the other songs and saw Slash walk out of the church. Low hung Cigarette and guitar, playing that magical solo.

Phil Collins Serious Hits... Live! 1990 - Groovy Kind of Love

Richard Marx Richard Marx(Self-Titled)1987 - Endless Summer Nights

Steve Winwood Roll With it 1988 - Don't You Know What the Night Can Do?

Edited by Top-Hatted One

OK, so in my early days, CDs were gifts. I could name a couple of albums which were purchased for me:

A double compilation CD of dance party hits `98, featuring Vengaboys etc. 

Britney's Baby One More Time. 

And S Club 7's debut. 

I turned 11 in 2000, so this wasn't all last week. 

My memory gets hazy regarding ones I purchased myself, as it was a long time ago. However I do remember being given £20 for a week's lunch money and spending most of it on the Monday morning at Woolworth's on Red, White & Crüe. :lol:

• Haha 1