Shackler's Revenge solo - original version?

Hi,

I've been listening to one of the many "leak compilations", and the ultimate one that was available for a short while, with everything.

Part of it are some of the multi-tracks from one of those "plastic toy button hero" games.

There's a vocal track in there... with some guitar parts. During the BBF solo (which IMHO is the most nonsensical guitar solo ever recorded and isolated is so painful to listen to [disclaimer: big fan of BBF, but man he butchered that song])

During the rhythm in the vocals (it's called "Shackler's vocals") track, you hear the rhythm track and underneath it is a very, and I can't stress this enough, VERY quiet solo which to me very obviously is not the BBF solo that's on the album version, and the style in it reminds me very much of Bucket rather than BBF... they both have a distinct tapping style, but Bucket's is definitely more "original". I swear it sounds nothing like the version we know... it actually seems to make some sense and is good, which is why I think it's Bucket and not BBF.

The tapping there is to me DEFINITELY Bucket... you can hear the sweeping tap thing where the note played with the left hand is 14 frets from the other note that's tapped with the right hand that only he does around the 2:47 mark. Around 2:29 is also something that sounds more Bucket than BBF.

If you align the 2 tracks in terms of time, you'll notice what you hear faintly behind the rhythm tracks in the Solo'd vocals doesn't align with the BBF solo from the guitar track at all.

Could it be... that the original Shackler's is just buried in the mix with something like -30 dB levels there?

Or am I just hearing things and giving myself hope after ages of dreaming about finally hearing this song with some lead parts that actually work.

I'm listening on very good headphones and high-end equipment. Did not hear it on my crappy old headphones. You need something that's able to... I dunno, I'm not an audiophile at all, something that can project the stereo sound very well. Not a snob, I'm sure you can hear it on anything if you focus. Just seems very clear, it's the first time I'm listening on new headphones.

Note: Have to listen to it VERY loudly to be able to hear it. I'm at max possible volume on my player.

Edit 2: Man am I excited about hearing anything new by this band... I got up from sleep just when it hit me that it could be the original solo after listening to it all day. Really am desperate for more of that era. :lol:

Edit 3: It actually goes on for longer than the original solo in the released version. Like it was continuous with the outro, which would make sense.

Edited by bassplayer1993

Yes, this was discussed when the multi-tracks leak came up. It's very interesting and makes you wonder about the original solo.

Now that we got the original Buckethead version of what would become Shackler's Revenge on the Village Sessions leak, it's even more interesting!

• Like 1

What you can barely hear sounds so damn good... like it was actually made for the song and not just to show "look I can do teh fast tapz and haz fretlezz fekk the song am star".

Sorry, did not know this was discussed. It made me so happy to hear it, but at the same time very sad that we'll never know what the song was supposed to sound like.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I can't believe they wasted time copy/pasting and pro-tooling the shit out of this song when they could've released stuff like Soul Monster, Oklahoma, Zodiac, State of Grace, Hardschool, etc.

It was a great live song in 2010-2011 though.

How do you know its copy/pasted?

It sounds more organic the state of grace imo

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

(I'll consider this thread a continuation of the one @BreakDown2014 kindly found, which I didn't while searching for it. Probably better than resurrecting something so old.)

Well don't forget what you're hearing on the village sessions is most likely a "first idea" from Bucket, and basically meta-matic re-made. It's odd - Bucket is such a creative person, why would he bring a track he already recorded with someone years ago?

The album version has been re-done, re-chopped and re-recorded probably hundreds of times from the village sessions, which could very well be the first time it was recorded, considering the date on the C.D.

Since Bucket is playing the Rhythm parts, it must've been already re-made when he was still in the band.

I wonder if that solo is bleed-through from a rhythm tracking session? Would seem incredibly odd and something Axl would never let happen... but why would he hide the original solo in the mix. And why would the lead part be done after the rhythm part.

Bumbles solo is supposed to be crazy in the beginning, the 2nd half is a bit more "traditional". 

It's a wacky song that needs a crazy solo, I think it's perfect and one of the standout solos on that album. 

It's not for everyone though, just like the album itself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Bumbles solo is supposed to be crazy in the beginning, the 2nd half is a bit more "traditional". 

It's a wacky song that needs a crazy solo, I think it's perfect and one of the standout solos on that album. 

It's not for everyone though, just like the album itself.

Agree, just not for everyone. While it's impressive and creative, to me it kills the song because it's what the song builds up to and then turns into incoherent noise.

For someone else like you it's perfect. Cool thing about music.

I just hear it as the best proof that Bumble was not well prepared and given enough time to think over what to do on the album.

I wish we could hear the "hidden" solo as it sounds very good.

1 hour ago, NeonKinight said:

is there a way to isolate this "hidden" solo? 
@evader / @imsorry

It's buried under the rhythm guitar, and very quiet, so if isolated it would be partial and very distorted if the volume was raised :wacko:

1 hour ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Agree, just not for everyone. While it's impressive and creative, to me it kills the song because it's what the song builds up to and then turns into incoherent noise.

For someone else like you it's perfect. Cool thing about music.

I just hear it as the best proof that Bumble was not well prepared and given enough time to think over what to do on the album.

I wish we could hear the "hidden" solo as it sounds very good.

It's buried under the rhythm guitar, and very quiet, so if isolated it would be partial and very distorted if the volume was raised :wacko:

You don't need to be prepared before you go in the studio. Lots of great recorded moments have happened when people listened to a track for the first time and just went for it. Theres room for both, but considering Axl and Caram produced all the solos on the record, it's safe to say this was exactly what they wanted. 

What I like about it is that it's completely off the wall, a real statement solo to anybody expecting your typical gnr solos. There was going to be left turns, I remember having to repeat the solo a few times when I first heard it. The fretless doing sliding harmonics etc. It was like nothing I'd heard before, but still managed to be wild but with such high level control that it kept it on track.

• Like 3

I tried to isolate the solo as best I could years ago. All I got were bits between bits that were way too loud that masked most of it, but if gave you a general idea of it. I have no idea where it is now, but all I did was basically amplify the sound to hear it, then cut the SUPER HUGE waveforms out so I could listen to it without blowing speakers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcmurray said:

I tried isolating it again after being reminded by this thread but it's just impossible unfortunately.

The best I could do is isolate only the bits that didn't have a crazy loud background vocals/instrumental over it. The result ended up being a very short, chopped thing that barely resembles a solo, but you can hear some decent bits.

Edited by Sweersa