Why is everything so top secret with Guns?

Rose likes to run the band like a sort of dysfunctional Area 51. This is presumably the way he likes proceedings; it has been that way since he power grabbed in the mid '90s. Fernando is a wanker but it isn't really his fault really (the dire merchandising is) regarding the lack of material and good fan relations. These two aspects were woeful before ''Team Brazil'' took over. The denominator here is Rose.

Makes no sense to me why Rose would want to run the band like this, but then nothing about Guns does make much sense. It is a band that operate according to utter illogicality. 

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rose likes to run the band like a sort of dysfunctional Area 51. This is presumably the way he likes proceedings; it has been that way since he power grabbed in the mid '90s. Fernando is a wanker but it isn't really his fault really (the dire merchandising is) regarding the lack of material and good fan relations. These two aspects were woeful before ''Team Brazil'' took over. The denominator here is Rose.

Makes no sense to me why Rose would want to run the band like this, but then nothing about Guns does make much sense. It is a band that operate according to utter illogicality. 

Why would he not do it that way? For him it works. They are raking in the millions. Everything else don't matter to him. Everything else would mean more effort and stuff he has to deal with.

My personal opinion, after being a fan since 1992, is that Axl is an extremely insecure person.  The guy wrote songs about Stefanie Seymour years after they were done.  He had everyone in the press saying he was an asshole/ manic depressive/ ego centric prick since the 90's.  If you were emotionally unstable and then had that to deal with, do you think you would be all there mentally?  Then you have the pressure of AFD.... your best record is your first full record and now you have to live up to that.... and your main songwriting partner (Izzy) wants nothing to do with you or the band anymore.

Slash leaves, the press says you are nothing without Slash, and then you come out with a statement that you are working on a new album with a new band only to have that scrutinized.  Then the record company and managers that you hired are all telling you that you need to get back with Slash, which deep down probably makes you feel worse about yourself bc noone believe that you can do it on your own.  Many statements you make in many interviews gets spun to something you didn't exactly say.  Your former band members trash you in the media.  The vision you had for your band is gone.  And now you have the pressure of rebuilding back to what GNR was, but you don't know how to do that.

So the easiest thing to do is withdraw.  No more promises, no more insight to your personal or professional world, just nothing.  Perhaps there is a little bit of an element of revenge with the silence?  The problem with the "revenge" is that it is taken out on everyone, true fans included.

And honestly if I were Axl I probably wouldn't have held up any better.  But at the same time, rather than take it out on everyone (i.e. the silence), I'd hopefully realize there is still a large tribe of people who care about GNR and about me that I have an obligation to be good to.  Lets face it, shutting the fans out only hurts the artist in the end.  We have many other bands/ forms of entertainment we can engage with.

If Axl wasn't a rock star, what the hell else would he be?  My guess is he'd be an inmate somewhere, ruling a prison yard.  So he does owe the fans more than what he gives (I'm not talking about sharing personal stuff, just music). 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Why would he not do it that way? For him it works. They are raking in the millions. Everything else don't matter to him. Everything else would mean more effort and stuff he has to deal with.

The fact that Rose is the only one, out of all the acts, who operate in this manner should tell you something. Take the archive thing; there is no logic in not delving into your live archives, releasing some fan friendly albums: A/ happier fan base B/ money for the band - a ''win-win''. Take the communication: there seems no logic in having no communication whatsoever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

One album since 1993.  Thats 27 years.  At what point are people going to twig that is safe to assume that there's fuck all going on? :lol:  Then again, there's people out there waiting for Christs return too so what can ya say.

I suspect the lack of new music created and released by this particular incarnation (A/S/D) might have something to do with the fact that this incarnation didn't exist between 1996 to 2015 (and we may even say as early as 1994, as we know it was already over). So this "27 yrs" logic isn't exactly bulletproof. 

Edited by jamillos

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The fact that Rose is the only one, out of all the acts, who operate in this manner should tell you something. Take the archive thing; there is no logic in not delving into your live archives, releasing some fan friendly albums: A/ happier fan base B/ money for the band - a ''win-win''. Take the communication: there seems no logic in having no communication whatsoever. 

But why spare the effort when they make millions with doing none of that?? Whenever he wants, he goes on tour, does his thing and gets millions. Case closed. Everything you suggest is extra work and decisions someone has to do and make. And clearly, Axl doesn't care about any of that. And there you have your answer: He doesn't care about anything but concerts.

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I suspect the lack of new music created and released by this particular incarnation (A/S/D) might have something to do with the fact that this incarnation didn't exist between 1996 to 2015 (and we may even say as early as 1994, as we know it was already over). So this "27 yrs" logic isn't exactly bulletproof. 

OH...so thats the source of this optimism, Slash and Duff back in the fold.  Oh right.  Well, 5 years and counting ;)  

47 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In the sense of a creative entity you could argue that there is no band.  Yeah, I get that they're 'in the studio' but the thats an entire process that is supposed to end in released product.  Without that its kinda like a bloke getting a bunch of ingridients together and calling himself a chef whilst omitting the 'stick the shit together, cook it' part.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

If Axl wasn't a rock star, what the hell else would he be?  My guess is he'd be an inmate somewhere, ruling a prison yard.  So he does owe the fans more than what he gives (I'm not talking about sharing personal stuff, just music). 

I guess many of these artist types would be there or similar, if they wouldn't have found a profession that pays well, despite their shortcomings and lets them get away with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

OH...so thats the source of this optimism, Slash and Duff back in the fold.  Oh right.  Well, 5 years and counting ;)  

Not exactly optimism, and I'm not speaking for anyone else btw. It's just that even the biggest sceptic can't possibly think the band wouldn't have released a single new album had they stayed together during these 25 years. But they hadn't, and so they didn't. 

My point is, that logic of yours isn't exactly fair, come on. 

Edited by jamillos

41 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

But why spare the effort when they make millions with doing none of that?? Whenever he wants, he goes on tour, does his thing and gets millions. Case closed. Everything you suggest is extra work and decisions someone has to do and make. And clearly, Axl doesn't care about any of that. And there you have your answer: He doesn't care about anything but concerts.

Well then that is why he is a ''brand'' and should no longer be considered as a creative act. It is what it is, and it certainly is his decision to make, but we shouldn't be expected to defend it.

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

You would think axl would have known that when he pressured duff and slash to sign the GNR name to Axl back in 96.

Edited by Sydney Fan

27 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Not exactly optimism, and I'm not speaking for anyone else btw. It's just that even the biggest sceptic can't possibly think the band wouldn't have released a single new album had they stayed together during these 25 years. But they hadn't, and so they didn't. 

My point is, that logic of yours isn't exactly fair, come on. 

Its all academic really cuz we’re debating over a big fat zero.  

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Totally agree with this. 

It's always baffled me a bit why he's SO keen to tour. Surely touring is a bit of a pain in the arse, especially for older musicians? I understand that's where the money is, but it's odd that that seems to be all he wants to do, ever. 

It's not even like he seems to use the opportunity to see the world- he's never seen outside of the gigs, so I'm guessing is doing very little on the sightseeing/entertainment front. I'm not sure how much fun it can be for him constantly travelling from hotel to hotel really. Must be pretty tiring. But then if money is the only goal, you'd do it I suppose. 

• Like 1

I dont get why people keep saying there is nothing on the works just because nothing gets released. People said the same back in 2001 and then we had like two albums worth with the Village leaks. We don't know why nothing ever gets released, but we know for a fact that he could have released most of the Chinese Democracy in 2001 or 2002. 

I don't think Axl is just insecure (albeit he his indeed), though. I believe he thinks too high of himself as an artist and holds his own work in the highest standards. At the same time, he seems to think the fans shouldn't take his work so seriously. So he doesn't care about giving updates because he just expects the fans to just patiently wait for whatever and whenever. 

That's why he just doesn't care about the fans now with the pandemic. He could just record a video with an acoustic guitar or the piano. He could not release any new song now, but at least give a sneak peak. He could at least send a message to the fans. 

• Like 1

GnR's business has been the subject of a hell of a lot of litigation over the years.

That definitely applied to the original band era, and the Chinese Democracy era. And although I am not aware of any lawsuits stemming from this reunion era - who knows what legal issues could be bubbling away in the background? 

We can be certain, though, that this band has paid for a lot of lawyer's sports cars.

It's possible that the lawyers' watchful gaze might be stopping people from talking about things they have seen or heard. 

I understand that some people who were involved in Chinese Democracy signed Non Disclosure Agreements. Roy Thomas Baker, for example. 

I know that the OP is talking more about official announcements than gossip or bsckstage stories. I do wonder though whether experience has made the GnR camp more reluctant to open its collective mouth. 

Edited by Sausagebrain

Duff has stated in past interviews prior to NITL that the band had run out of juice creatively by about 94. Axl tried to reignite that with different members to mixed results. People still continue to have high expectations though.

I’m a big Pearl Jam fan too and the fan message boards complain about their albums being subpar to previous work for years now. Pick your poison I guess....