RAR 2006 - When the stars aligned

45 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Its better it did not happen then because we wouldn't have Vr or CD

Personally I would happily give both VR and CD up for an 2006-era album by the big three. Izzy was around back then so they could've gotten him in the mix and they might have got Sourm or Adler in there as well. It was a giant missed opportunity that they didn't do it. 

• Like 2

It is funny how in retrospect 2006 was one of the stronger years for Axl but at the time, however it took 2011-now to realize it.  I remember during that actual era of GNR, Axl was still getting a lot of "he sounds weird now" comments, and I think that a lot of it was probably just that he mixed his clean voice into things then still, and we didn't know then just how much "Mickey" would take over lol

This gig is one of Axl's strongest - Nightrain for example I would say vocally rivals even the strongest of his 90s renditions of it.  

• Like 1

2006 to me feels like the last time it was watching Axl be Axl. He looked great, the band sounded great, and he was mixing the rasp with the incredible screams from '02. And it seemed like Chinese was actually imminent. He was also more outgoing and accessible publicly it seemed - actually doing something like the Trunk interview, the occasional public appearance, etc.

Not to disparage 2010, because his energy, and obviously, vocals were still there - but in 2006 he still had such a cool rockstar aura around him.

Getting some good 2006 footage put up on Youtube would be godly, especially the Gibson Amphitheatre shows like already mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Really shows that Brain was GNR's best overall drummer.  He has both the groove and the technical prowess needed for the GNR sound.  Not saying Steven or Matt weren't right for their time, but just in general, Brain can play any era of GNR and it sounds good.  Wish he was still our drummer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Madagascar also.

They played it. I was there. Pitman fucked up the intro and they had to do it over twice. It’s kept off the audio and video. It was a really good version once they kept going.

This was one of my first festivals ever internationally and I bunked off college to go.

Great show, Axl was nailing it hard (as opposed to Lisbon a week before, which wasn’t as cool), and he was generally killing it in 2006, as we know. There was some Axl camera mix-up at the beginning of Jungle, Ron’s guitar was sometimes missing in the mix (I think during Nightrain), and Axl screwed up Patience twice – once lyrically at the beginning, once melodically at the end. However, it was a great show nonetheless. And the initial Jungle scream! Even the audio itself (a 14-year old TV shot) is better than that Utah 2019 clip they've given us now. 

Edited by jamillos

3 hours ago, Gunner927 said:

2006 to me feels like the last time it was watching Axl be Axl. He looked great, the band sounded great, and he was mixing the rasp with the incredible screams from '02. And it seemed like Chinese was actually imminent. He was also more outgoing and accessible publicly it seemed - actually doing something like the Trunk interview, the occasional public appearance, etc.

Not to disparage 2010, because his energy, and obviously, vocals were still there - but in 2006 he still had such a cool rockstar aura around him.

Getting some good 2006 footage put up on Youtube would be godly, especially the Gibson Amphitheatre shows like already mentioned.

I saw Guns N' Roses in Madrid in 2006 and 2010. 2006 Was not as good as later, he was tired, less energy than 2010. Less rasp too, for me Madrid 2010 was better in everything (even Ashba played good without mistakes). A lot of people when 2006 show finished talked shit about it, but when 2010 finished everybody was "wowww","unbelievable", etc.

Edit: Rock am ring was a great show, one of the best Guns N' Roses shows, and the Gibson too. But if I could choose I prefer to get one the european 2010 shows.

Edited by axljungle

Probably a no-go but I think the broadcast was handled by Rockapalast who have actually released gigs on DVD etc for years now based on shows they have shown on TV. They must have all the footage somewhere.

Can they release it seeing as they have shown it on TV? Can they add in the chopped bits? Actually, has there ever been any audio of the chopped bits released?

Great show. Fortunate to see them at their next show Hammersmith, London.

Incredible time. Axl pouring of sweat , high energy and oozing class. Still remember him standing at the edge of the stage 3 feet away as he was leaning over talking to his photographer and you could see the different colours breaded into his dreads. 

Everything was much more notorious back then, we didn't know if he would turn up, and there was no social media or anything to keep tabs on them so the mystery was definitely there.

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, AxlIsGod. said:

After looking back over the recent proshot footage (including remixes @SMG), I decided to have a bit of a proshot browse of older shows and man...

How fucking good was the RAR06 show? Like; performance, sound, video, mixing etc. all spot on. I feel like we forever lament RIR's shitty mixing or Axl's off days but boy the stars did align for Rock am Ring 06. Even the set felt nice and lean, with no bloat or songs they just go through the motions on.

To this day it's the only GNR proshot where I feel the whole show is just spot on and one I'd share and show mates to try and explain why i love live GNR so much. I've known this for years but man, going back now gives me a different perspective.

What are your ult proshots?

Amazing recording!

Watched some of it a couple weeks ago, thought then sound quality is the best I've heard them, rhythm guitar is solid which always seems to lack with Slash, is that Robin?

Give me robin then over slash now any day

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

That’s a OVERRATED show for 2006 stardand levels

if you compare shows like download, nova rock, Greece and many others from that same leg, they are even better.

Maybe but the thread is about the culmination of everything, including the proshot (almost) full show, the mixing and sound etc. I think compared to RIR06 and Inland Invasion, RAR is a cut above for performance and equally importantly, mixing and sound quality.

It’s an incredible show and if I remember correctly, they were originally scheduled to broadcast it live but something got in the way?

2006 is without doubt the best Axl Rose has EVER sounded live. Better than the 86-93 pomp and better than anything since. He looked fit, had that swagger and he could hit and hold the notes.

Other notables are Download 2006 (best Paradise City I can remember) and there’s a fucking scintillating Nightrain from that show but the Pro shot mixers screwed up and cut Bumble out of the mix - however the rhythm guitars are so powerful and the energy is insane. 

I’ve always wanted that 2006 Axl and Izzy mixed with a reunion of Slash and Duff and/or Steven & Matt. 

For me they also sounded tons better with Brain. The tempo always seemed that touch faster. For reference- have a look at how incredible Guns sound when they did It’s So Easy with the Foo Fighters- that drummer is incredible and it transformed the song into the most electric rendition I’ve ever seen. 

But hey I get that it’s all just opinions- nothing personal against Franks playing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WhazUp said:

It is funny how in retrospect 2006 was one of the stronger years for Axl but at the time, however it took 2011-now to realize it.  I remember during that actual era of GNR, Axl was still getting a lot of "he sounds weird now" comments, and I think that a lot of it was probably just that he mixed his clean voice into things then still, and we didn't know then just how much "Mickey" would take over lol

I'd kind of put it down to certain people just complaining for the sake of complaining. How times have changed.

8 minutes ago, UseYourDelusion said:

2006 is without doubt the best Axl Rose has EVER sounded live. Better than the 86-93 pomp and better than anything since. He looked fit, had that swagger and he could hit and hold the notes.

I love 2006 but I think 2010 just eeks it for for me personally. 

But 2006 had some of the brightest spots of Axl's whole career.

In similar news Reddit is trying to push for a release of sailing from 2006.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GunsNRoses/comments/gphobz/fernando_please_we_want_the_2006_live_cover/

9 hours ago, lumenx said:

Thread asking nando for sailing HQ audio if anyone's interested

Saw this too.

Assuming they have that recorded that should definitely be on the list for later releases.

Though it's clear that currently they're focusing on NITL releases but Fernando has said "never say never" in regarding older stuff.