Evader’s mix of The General discussion *No links*

4 hours ago, evader said:

He's suggesting the guy is what Americans call a "sucker" - that he's easily duped. If JimiRose wasn't flat-out trolling, I take what he said as a compliment.

Yes. That's what was done. But it wasn't only from Rockband isolated vocals. Some of those 15 layers were from snippets of vocals isolated from AFD or UYI tracks.

That's actually BH and Finck. Finck stuff is from Rockband. The BH stuff is isolated from a few songs in his monsterous collection. Cant remember where I got the solo, but I barely changed a note from the original.

I'm sure many would disagree, though I was trying pretty hard at the time for my own personal amusement.

Good guesses. Seriously. My suspicion is that you'd change your tune if you heard the "isolated" vocals. Then again, I don't know. They're kinda awesome in a Frankenstein sense.

I promise you it is neither a genuine leak, nor is it the first half of the song. The cellphone clip was almost certainly from the latter-half of the song, and I just added/duplicated the outro chorus (soft part) after the screaming section because it made sense from the clip.

Question for mindray11 - had anyone even suggested this was The General before you heard my ludicrous take on it? When I got it, nobody had a clue WTF it was.

Lol I assure you I am not trolling - I just cannot believe a take of this quality was made based on a phone recording. Granted I haven't actually heard the phone recording (if anyone has it, please feel free to send). What programme did you use to take the rock band vocals and retune them into this song? Are you actually playing any of the instruments or is it completely 'frankenstein' as you say in how it has been put together? Lastly, if this is all your own work, would you legally be able to put it on YouTube as it is an interpretation and would not be a copyright issue?

4 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Lol I assure you I am not trolling - I just cannot believe a take of this quality was made based on a phone recording. Granted I haven't actually heard the phone recording (if anyone has it, please feel free to send). What programme did you use to take the rock band vocals and retune them into this song? Are you actually playing any of the instruments or is it completely 'frankenstein' as you say in how it has been put together? Lastly, if this is all your own work, would you legally be able to put it on YouTube as it is an interpretation and would not be a copyright issue?

Programs used for note manipulation - Adobe Audition and Melodyne (Celemony). Super old versions.

I can't play any instruments. I just enjoy putting puzzles together. This thing was basically a one million piece puzzle.

Every snippet and sliver - even those that have been heavily modified - was created initially by professional musicians. I'm no copyright expert, but I'm pretty sure uploading it anywhere would be a "no-no".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I recall MSL having that clip for a couple of years before he realised it was The General.

We have got to hear this song in full in glorious quality before we shake off this mortal coil 😆

Starting to think MSL didn't actually have any of those CD 2 tracks, only the CD 2 track list from Axl's laptop.

52 minutes ago, evader said:

Programs used for note manipulation - Adobe Audition and Melodyne (Celemony). Super old versions.

What does Axl say right before his screaming in the song you assembled? He speaks softly and quietly, whatever he said, I felt it fit really well in the song. Curious where you sourced that bit too.

In the "raw" party recording, I am not even sure if Axl saying anything at all, it sounds more like "Ooooooooooooo" but with some melody. He seems to do that on a lot of CD era songs. I like it though. 

I didn't realize you crafted the Axl screaming bit in your version of The General, damn, that's impressive. I'd be curious to hear it isolated. I had assumed you extracted and cleaned it up from the party clip.

37 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Starting to think MSL didn't actually have any of those CD 2 tracks, only the CD 2 track list from Axl's laptop.

Correct.

1 hour ago, evader said:

I can't play any instruments. I just enjoy putting puzzles together. This thing was basically a one million piece puzzle.

Every snippet and sliver - even those that have been heavily modified - was created initially by professional musicians. I'm no copyright expert, but I'm pretty sure uploading it anywhere would be a "no-no".

I think you should have applied for chris pitmans old job

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

What does Axl say right before his screaming in the song you assembled?

"I've got hopes and dreams, and I must feel bolder."

Sweersa, I don't know of anyone else that can hear that in the cellphone clip other than myself, so maybe I just hallucinated it being in there. But I swear, I can hear Axl's speaking voice right there. And actually, I think there's a second voice during the "I must feel bolder" part, and that voice is either a young woman or child. It is so faint I almost didn't include any of it.

Can't remember how I made that little bit. Interviews with Axl, I'm sure - isolating vowels and filling in the "ssss" sounds. The trick for this type of thing is recording your own voice saying or singing it, pulling it up in a software program like Melodyne where you can see the exact way the notes move, and then replacing all of it with Axl clips, shaped very close to the same way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, evader said:

"I've got hopes and dreams, and I must feel bolder."

Sweersa, I don't know of anyone else that can hear that in the cellphone clip other than myself, so maybe I just hallucinated it being in there. But I swear, I can hear Axl's speaking voice right there. And actually, I think there's a second voice during the "I must feel bolder" part, and that voice is either a young woman or child. It is so faint I almost didn't include any of it.

Can't remember how I made that little bit. Interviews with Axl, I'm sure - isolating vowels and filling in the "ssss" sounds. The trick for this type of thing is recording your own voice saying or singing it, pulling it up in a software program like Melodyne where you can see the exact way the notes move, and then replacing all of it with Axl clips, shaped very close to the same way.

Wild and dedicated. Cool shit.

• 9 months later...
17 minutes ago, something.always said:

Yeah, I'm bringing this back to life. I just read on reddit that The General wasn't even a real song but was made from snippets of other GNR songs, copied and pasted together. This was definitely a real song, right?

It was used as the song before the band came on stage many times, the song is legit. Evaders version is pretty amazing, hopefully we get to hear a studio version one day...

19 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Wow. First I've ever seen this. How long has this been floating around?

Like, 7 or 8 years, I think? We only know since the Village leaks (2019) that it's 99% legit, because of Perhaps.

Edit: 99% legit :lol:

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Like, 7 or 8 years, I think? We only know since the Village leaks (2019) that it's 100% legit, because of Perhaps.

I remember MSL mentioning some of these song titles in that painful video he made, but don't remember seeing the potential tracklisting for CD2 like this.  Is this 2008 photo from MSL's email cache new?

10 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

list.jpg

Seems fake, amongst other things it is hard to imagine "Jackie Chan" being the title circa 2008 when the Village CD's have it recorded in 2000 and titled "Hardschool".

Also the Jackie Chan movie they were supposedly writing a song for (I believe) was released in 1996.

41 minutes ago, hally187 said:

Seems fake, amongst other things it is hard to imagine "Jackie Chan" being the title circa 2008 when the Village CD's have it recorded in 2000 and titled "Hardschool".

Also the Jackie Chan movie they were supposedly writing a song for (I believe) was released in 1996.

The song being called JChan instead of HardSkool seems a bit suspect, however Axl himself said it was called Jackie Chan.

The list includes Tonto, Nothing, Perhaps and Going Down - long before Going Down was leaked or Tonto/Perhaps/Nothing showed up on the Village Leaks.

It also lists '4 Heavens' and we now know Knocking on Heavens Door was re-recorded.

It also tells us there were alternate versions of Better and This I Love, which came true and were later leaked by the same guy who had this document.

What we don't know is what state of completion Cuban Skies, Monstrosity, Tonto or Thyme are in.

Edited by Pele

48 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Weird how Hard School is still called Jackie Chan there in 2008

39 minutes ago, hally187 said:

Axl called it Jackie Chan in the 2008 forum chats. He said it was the working title. Who knows, maybe he intended to write new lyrics to it, but never did? Or maybe he was used to referring to it by the old working title.

• Like 3