Evader’s mix of The General discussion *No links*

19 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Wow. First I've ever seen this. How long has this been floating around?

Like, 7 or 8 years, I think? We only know since the Village leaks (2019) that it's 99% legit, because of Perhaps.

Edit: 99% legit :lol:

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Like, 7 or 8 years, I think? We only know since the Village leaks (2019) that it's 100% legit, because of Perhaps.

I remember MSL mentioning some of these song titles in that painful video he made, but don't remember seeing the potential tracklisting for CD2 like this.  Is this 2008 photo from MSL's email cache new?

10 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

list.jpg

Seems fake, amongst other things it is hard to imagine "Jackie Chan" being the title circa 2008 when the Village CD's have it recorded in 2000 and titled "Hardschool".

Also the Jackie Chan movie they were supposedly writing a song for (I believe) was released in 1996.

41 minutes ago, hally187 said:

Seems fake, amongst other things it is hard to imagine "Jackie Chan" being the title circa 2008 when the Village CD's have it recorded in 2000 and titled "Hardschool".

Also the Jackie Chan movie they were supposedly writing a song for (I believe) was released in 1996.

The song being called JChan instead of HardSkool seems a bit suspect, however Axl himself said it was called Jackie Chan.

The list includes Tonto, Nothing, Perhaps and Going Down - long before Going Down was leaked or Tonto/Perhaps/Nothing showed up on the Village Leaks.

It also lists '4 Heavens' and we now know Knocking on Heavens Door was re-recorded.

It also tells us there were alternate versions of Better and This I Love, which came true and were later leaked by the same guy who had this document.

What we don't know is what state of completion Cuban Skies, Monstrosity, Tonto or Thyme are in.

Edited by Pele

48 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Weird how Hard School is still called Jackie Chan there in 2008

39 minutes ago, hally187 said:

Axl called it Jackie Chan in the 2008 forum chats. He said it was the working title. Who knows, maybe he intended to write new lyrics to it, but never did? Or maybe he was used to referring to it by the old working title.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl called it Jackie Chan in the 2008 forum chats. He said it was the working title. Who knows, maybe he intended to write new lyrics to it, but never did? Or maybe he was used to referring to it by the old working title.

I think there is a slight possibility he got mixed up - maybe thought a different song had leaked.

Only a theory.

I just don't see how/why HardSkool would become Jackie Chan in 2008.  It makes sense as a working title in 96, but was called HardSchool in 99/00. 

Either:

• He changed the name back to Jackie Chan (or simply preferred it's old working title and went back and forth) 
  • He re-wrote the song and it had different lyrics (then reverted back to HardSkool as per setlist and backing vox in rehearsals)
  • He got confused about which snippet had leaked and thought the 'Checkmate' we were referring to was a different song

I wonder which version of Better would be on that album. DJs? Better Gone? Or the current "slashed-up" live version.

Same as Cather? Was there a remix for that one?

Edited by Coma16

I hope Hardschool gets released before @Gambit83 interviews Matt, so that he can ask him about it, since mentions the Jackie Chan song in his autobiography (I hope this part hasn't been edited out in the official version of the book). Matt seems to have a good memory about these things; when the CD title track was released, he had commented that it wasn't among the songs they'd worked on when he was still in the band.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

I wonder which version of Better would be on that album. DJs? Better Gone? Or the current "slashed-up" live version.

I don't think we heard a remix for Catcher but Brain said he did a few more.

7 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

It couldn't be Ashba's, since he was hired in 2009 and the list is allegedly from January 2008.

3 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

I think it was Dizzy who said Catcher and Rhiad(?) weren't gonna be on the album, it may have been Tommy, I don't really remember, it was from an interview in 2006 I think. In January 2008 it seems Axl still wanted to put Catcher on the second album. But since the leaks dictated the tracklist, it was released on the first album...

I assume Better, CD, Prostitute and TIL were remixes, meant as bonus tracks.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I hope Hardschool gets released before @Gambit83 interviews Matt, so that he can ask him about it, since mentions the Jackie Chan song in his autobiography (I hope this part hasn't been edited out in the official version of the book). Matt seems to have a good memory about these things; when the CD title track was released, he had commented that it wasn't among the songs they'd worked on when he was still in the band.

Yeah that would be interesting.  I'd like to know if that song originated from the 96 sessions or if it's all a misunderstanding.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think it was Dizzy who said Catcher and Rhiad(?) weren't gonna be on the album, it may have been Tommy, I don't really remember, it was from an interview in 2006 I think. In January 2008 it seems Axl still wanted to put Catcher on the second album. But since the leaks dictated the tracklist, it was released on the first album...

I assume Better, CD, Prostitute and TIL were remixes, meant as bonus tracks.

Yeah, my guess was they were considered 'back up' songs (or Album 2 songs), however Axl didn't finish up enough of the others so they were 'promoted' to the album.

Or Catcher leaked so they decided to use it.

Was it Sean Beaven the producer who said they just didn't have enough 'hits' yet.

I'd say anyone looking at the project would have wanted ChiDem, Blues, Maddy, TWAT, Better, maybe IRS etc - but would have wanted additional work done on the instrumentals (and State of Grace) so they didn't have to include Rhiad, Atlas, Catcher, OMG, Silkworms etc.

That was probably the intention for quite some time, until it became apparent he wasn't going to finish any more and they had to piece together what they had (and convince him to revisit This I Love).

Edited by Pele

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah, my guess was they were considered 'back up' songs (or Album 2 songs), however Axl didn't finish up enough of the others so they were 'promoted' to the album.

Or Catcher leaked so they decided to use it.

According to Axl, the tracklist on the album was "the songs that could get through the label's red tape" which basically means the label said "these are the songs that leaked, so these are the songs we're recouping money on". :shrugs:

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

According to Axl, the tracklist on the album was "the songs that could get through the label's red tape" which basically means the label said "these are the songs that leaked, so these are the songs we're recouping money on". :shrugs:

Also included all songs they played live, except Silkworms, so there's that too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yeah.  I also think there wasn't much else to pull from.  They couldn't use State of Grace unfortunately (unless he rerecorded).  

I'm not sure why HardSkool and Perhaps didn't make the cut.  Maybe the vocals weren't recorded properly.

I think the 3 album thing was the vision on 2001 when he had some good songs completed and tons of instrumentals ready to be completed.

I think that vision had long dried up by 2008, so I didn't really buy the theory that they held back songs for the next record.

Just now, Pele said:

Yeah.  I also think there wasn't much else to pull from.  They couldn't use State of Grace unfortunately (unless he rerecorded).  

I'm not sure why HardSkool and Perhaps didn't make the cut.  Maybe the vocals weren't recorded properly.

I think the 3 album thing was the vision on 2001 when he had some good songs completed and tons of instrumentals ready to be completed.

I think that vision had long dried up by 2008, so I didn't really buy the theory that they held back songs for the next record.

He said they had 36 songs in 2006, 24 of which were basically done. That's 2 complete albums and another album still being worked on.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He said they had 36 songs in 2006, 24 of which were basically done. That's 2 complete albums and another album still being worked on.

I know, but I don't believe they did.

I think they included completed instrumentals that he had ideas for.

I think there was a spell or excitement and creativity in the very late 90s, where we essentially got Chinese Democracy.

I think there was another spurt of enthusiasm late 2006 when he was sounding good and in great shape, and he recorded Better vocals, Sorry vocals, Shacklers, Scraped, The General, TIL v2 and backing vox for Going Down. 

I think that's where it ended.  I'm hoping he also recorded Monstrosity, Zodiac, Thyme, Berlin, Tonto and Cuban Skies here, but I believe the chances of that are slim to none.  There is a chance he's written lyrics and recorded something for these - but I very much doubt they are full, usable songs with finished vocal.

Edited by Pele