Science / scientific method thread

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is pomposity a prerequisite? Have you got to have a preliminary entrance exam before getting accepted on a sciencey course, establishing a heightened level of smugness and arrogance? The reason I ask is not just because of Soul - well, actually it partially is - but Brian Cox's pontificating on twatter. He blocked me incidentally; it might have had something to do with me calling him a ''muppet headed mancunian star gazing remainer twat from a crap '90s band'' or something or other?

No, they just seem smug to you because of your inferiority complex. You never were good at science and thus you despise science and scientists. It's okay, you are good with dates and stuff. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me coming into this thread:

A choir boy as seen up close by Father O’Reilly?   Sorry, sorry, sorry. Couldn’t help myself. I think I need to have myself checked.  

Some astrophysics claim that there is a constant production of the molecule phosphine on Venus. This is interesting because phosphine is usually a byproduct of biological degradation. In other words,

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, they just seem smug to you because of your inferiority complex. You never were good at science and thus you despise science and scientists. It's okay, you are good with dates and stuff. 

In actual fact I wasn't that bad at Physics. Think I got a B. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Watching videos that claim scientists just use formula? And that makes you better in physics? 

I said, a little better than befa-wa

Edited by action
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, SoulMonster said:

Some astrophysics claim that there is a constant production of the molecule phosphine on Venus. This is interesting because phosphine is usually a byproduct of biological degradation. In other words, life on Venus? 

This is the most interesting story in a long time. I wonder what will come from it

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

This is the most interesting story in a long time. I wonder what will come from it

It would be fantastic if there were microbial life there, but most likely it is just a new way that phospine can be created which wasn't obvious to the scientists. 

I see some Norwegian newspaper use headlines "Evidence for life on Venus", but that is not entirely true. Would be cool, though :) 

• Like 1

light is really fascinating. it is the only known thing that travels at the speed of light. At that speed, time seemingly "stops" relative to something else. Einstein said that time slows down or speeds up depending on how fast you move relative to something else.

approaching the speed of light, a person in a spaceship would age much slower than the person left behind.

So this means, time goes slower for the remainer, relative to the time experienced by the person in the spaceship.

Light, traveling at the speed of light, is this spaceship. So for the light particle time goes faster, than for us who observe the light particle moving.

Surely, this difference of "times" must have some influence on how we observe light? Could the influence be, that we observe light as a wave, or as a particle? Could this be the cause for the wave / particle duality of light, that scientists seem to be struggling with?

we can "capture" this light particle, making it's speed, and therefore it's time relativity, drop to zero. If it hits a detector, it stops moving. So the way we view the light particle changes with it.

So when light moves at the speed of light, we view it as a wave form.

When we observe it, (when we made the light particle drop its speed to zero), we view it as a particle.

So the true nature of light is a particle. But when it moves at the speed of light, it "appears" to be a waveform, to us.