Third Robert Johnson pic found

Len Cnut

10 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Thats insane an 80+ year old picture can resurface. Very cool

I had an 114 year old picture resurface, of my great-great granddad.

the only owner of this picture would have died a little time later, if I had not done the effort to call around here and there.

robert johnson is a great example of how history research can be very rewarding and intriguing

• Like 2

5 hours ago, action said:

I had an 114 year old picture resurface, of my great-great granddad.

the only owner of this picture would have died a little time later, if I had not done the effort to call around here and there.

robert johnson is a great example of how history research can be very rewarding and intriguing

That is amazing!

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I wouldn't get all too excited, they often come up with these motherfuckers that turn out to be dud or at least disputed.  This looks pretty mccoy though.

It comes from his step sister so that makes it more credible Id think

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All blues is highly derivative really, they all took from each other, there ain't a blues song out there of the old stuff that you can't find a precedent for.  The Zimmerman story if oft told, his daughter if I'm not mistaken.  He owes as much to Son House and Charley Patton too.  Intellectual property weren't something anyone gave a shit about in them days, it weren't really a concept until their was money in music. 

The blues is like memories or Chinese whispers - ultimately it is music from the religious recitals from the cotton fields.  There isn't that same emphasis on composition and ownership as you see with say Tin Pan Alley, Motown and The Beatles and so forth. It wasn't as if there was any money - serious money - to be made in the blues; the Stones found Muddy Waters painting and decorating the Chess studios when they visited in 1964. 

But this isn't just confined to the blues really. Even today we re-discover music by obscure Italian composers that chronologically preceded Handel (Händel); it transpires that Handel, who spent a lot of time in Italy learning his craft, ripped-off a lot of music and sold it to the dopey Brits as opera/oratorios haha. No recorded music and publishing was not so regimented and prolific as now in those days so you could get away with it. 

PS

In NO WAY is this a defence of the abomination called Led Zeppelin. I thought that I better point that out before somebody obtained the wrong idea.

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 minutes ago, Ratbrain said:

Yes bro, old time cut n paste in many instances. Also see Robert Lockwood for info on Robert Johnsons "Lost songs" 

In the post Buddy Holly/The Beatles world this shit became important, originality and authorship...but I'm not sure that it should be.  This sort of music was never considered high art before that and, as such, not subject to such scrutiny, it was just music that people played to have a good time. 

Look, as someone of muslim background I'd love nothing more than to somehow associate myself with the blues in some heavily convoluted way but I can't see it man.  Firstly, is there any evidence of those old time slaves writing arabic?  Secondly, muslims really revere things like the call to prayer, the last thing on earth they'd be doing is making music out of it, it isn't really singing so much as a call or recitation, though I suppose you could argue their early blues singing was a type of call too. 

But also, why make a song to the call to prayer melody, why not just do the call to prayer? :lol:  And also, the idea that they carried on Islamic traditions despite slave masters imposing Christianity on them sounds like bullshit too.  I mean if that were true how would an organisation like The Nation of Islam be able to spread a distorted version of Islam like it did in the 1930s without being found out immediately?  One of the chief things that Malcolm X said in response to the Saudi prince or king I forget which, when they pulled him up on their anger over the NOI distorting their religion is that, in some part, it was due to their not propagating their religion properly, despite how huge it was (and still is) there was very little proper knowledge about it in the America of that day, particularly around the black community. 

There are examples of certain slave groups that maintained their old African culture, though it certainly wasn't Islamic.  They called em Geechees or something. 

1 minute ago, Ratbrain said:

Listen to the two 2.55 to 6.11

I'll get to the islamic influence on flamenco after this.

I know the Islamic call to prayer fella, I can recite it.  There is a resemblence in meter there but thats about all.  But like I say, I might be wrong, maybe you're right.