The history of GN'R as told by GN'R (A4D)

Excellent new additions.

I'm surprised to read that the band didn't make much money from the Use Your Illusion tour cycle.  Between fines and lavish spending while also putting an investment in the production value - would cut into the profits.

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, I have been revising the history section at Appetite for Discussion and thought I should give you a heads up about this. If this is new to you here's some background: I am currently

We have a sticky thread with @zombux 's tables (with a link to his thread here) in the songs section: https://www.a-4-d.com/f8-gn-r-song-archive I'd like to add that, besides the about 2,500

Hi guys, After a summer vacation I am back working on this again. Here's the index to all the chapters so far: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4924-02-global-index#19869 And here's the latest en

Loved the part where Slash said he and Sebastian had to stay in separate hotels on the road because of their partying. He said he couldn't smoke pot like Sebastian, it spaced him out too hard. Sounds weird coming from a guy who snorted half of Colombia and injected heroin.😄

Edited by lame ass security
  • 1 month later...

Another chapter is out. It deals with the period from December 1994 to October 1996: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits

A longer period than usual and to some extent a period clouded in mystery. The band was working but the lineup wasn't entirely clear and Axl did no interviews in this period. Slash, on the other hand, did  interviews and would occasionally badmouth Axl and Axl's music. After a failed attempt at finding a compromise in Zakk Wylde to replace Gilby, Slash left to tour with Snakepit and him and Axl stopped talking. In addition to their argument over who to replace Gilby, Paul's role in the band, Axl's increasing dictatorial style, the direction of the music, the press learnt that there were animosity between the two men due to Axl having obtained ownership over the band's name. Izzy returned to Los Angeles to play with Duff and reconnected with Axl, but eventually did not return to the band. With more time on his hands, Duff joined the Neurotic Outsiders together with Matt and continued to reverse years of decay by exercising and eating healthy. In late 1996 the band finally got together again to work on new music and a record slated for release in early 1997, but these sessions only lasted for a few weeks before the relationship between Axl and Slash took yet another turn for the worse. On October 30, in a statement sent to MTV, Axl announced that Slash was out of the band.

• Like 3

This, along with the Chinese Whispers and GNRontour (plus some info from htgth regarding NuGNR tours), are the best collections of information about GNR out there. This one + CW in particular. :book: :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, jamillos said:

This, along with the Chinese Whispers and GNRontour (plus some info from htgth regarding NuGNR tours), are the best collections of information about GNR out there. This one + CW in particular. :book: :thumbsup:

Thank you. It will also just get better and better as I keep adding quotes from more recent interviews and sources (currently come to August 2002) and as I work more on language, fix mistakes, and include all internal links.

It will become the most comprehensive source to GN'R history, the ultimate reference - simply because it is based on the by far largest collection of sources. And on that note I cannot thank @Blackstarenough for the amazing work she has done by helping to uncover new articles and interviews, and for discussing and providing invaluable help on interpreting sources and discussing the various topics. Also a huuuge thank to everyone who has sent us scans of articles and interviews or just helped by pointing out mistakes. This work is for the entire GN'R fan community and with kind contributions and help I like to think it is also from the GN'R fan community.

• Like 3

A new chapter added: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5024-20-november-1996-august-1997-robin-replaces-slash-but-matt-and-duff-quits

This chapter covers the period from November 1996 to August 1997. Slash had just left the band and this probably made it easier for Axl who now didn't have to compromise as much when it came to the music and how it was produced. Not long after Robin Finck joined the band. The band started filling DATs with song ideas, sketches, loops and riffs. The band would also look for a producer, and in this period Mike Clink, Moby, and Rick Rubin were mentioned in the press and to various degrees were involved with the process of making the next Guns N' Roses record. Eventually Matt had had enough and was out, and not long after Duff left, too. What had started as one key member leaving had now escalated to the dissolution of Guns N' Roses with only Axl and Dizzy remaining from the Use Your Illusion lineup. The band was missing vital members, but had lockers of DATs with unfinished music.

A small note: I am currently going through articles from December 2002, so I am only about 5 years ahead of the chapters. This means that some of the most recent topics will be somewhat sparse in content. I continuously add to topics already published before as I come across relevant quotes. Blackstar also included a new interview from 1987 today, which results in a bunch of new quotes added throughout the section. It will only get more and more detailed.

• Like 1

Next chapter: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5025-21-september-1997-november-1999-josh-and-tommy-joins-robin-leaves-live-era-is-released

This chapter covers September 1997 to November 1999. Matt and Duff had recently left and the band was in disarray. Fortunately Josh and Tommy were recruited in 1998 and it seems like the band were able to progress the work of new music. Axl was still keeping himself out of the public eye (except for an incident at Phoenix airport). In 1999 rumours started spreading that the band was close to releasing a new record and new music was indeed heard, first a new version of 'Sweet Child O' Mine' in the Big Daddy movie and then 'Oh My God' on the End of Days soundtrack. At the end of the year the band would also release Live Era '87-'93 and to coincide with all this Axl came back into the public to do some interviews.

Great Work, @SoulMonster and @Blackstar! Thank you so much!

I know it’s off topic but I just scrolled through your Song Archive and learnd that Down on the Farm allegedly has been performed 11 times 😳 This is new to me. I always thought it was only played once at Farm Aid. However, I am only into classic GNR and a bit NITL GNR. 

My guess is that the other performances are by New GNR between 2000 and 2015, correct?

• Thanks 2
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Great Work, @SoulMonster and @Blackstar! Thank you so much!

I know it’s off topic but I just scrolled through your Song Archive and learnd that Down on the Farm allegedly has been performed 11 times 😳 This is new to me. I always thought it was only played once at Farm Aid. However, I am only into classic GNR and a bit NITL GNR. 

My guess is that the other performances are by New GNR between 2000 and 2015, correct?

Thanks!

Down on the Farm was performed 10 times in 2006, so yes, correct.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Another chapter added, this one covering the period November 1999 to January 2001: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5186-22-november-1999-january-2001-lineup-turmoil-but-a-triumphal-return#20664

I am now getting into a period that is somewhat obscured due to a lack of contemporary sources describing the inner workings of the band. Some light will be shed on this period when I get to more recent articles and interviews (I am currently working my through 2004), but for now some of the chapters will appear sparse. It will all be filled out in due time.

This was a period where band members came and went, more specifically Buckethead, Brain and Chris joined and Robin re-joined, while Josh left the band. These changes likely caused issues for the work on new music, with extra work needed to accommodate new musicians who were to put their stamp on the music (like Brain replacing Josh's drums). The press would also start to whisper about planned tours to follow the release of Chinese Democracy. And eventually the new version of Guns N' Roses would indeed return for January 2001 shows at the House of Blues in Las Vegas and Rock in Rio in Brazil. These shows would be the first Guns N' Roses shows since 1993 and would be with a very different lineup, with some new songs, and with a world that was quite different from when the band left, or started. Despite this, the shows received praise and good reviews and things looked bright.

Great work cheers

Do you guys have a transcription of a release that came out called Appetite For Conversation? I had a cassette of it years ago, it was an interviewer talking to Slash and Duff, pretty bad audio but funny conversation during the AfD tour I think. ?

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Great work cheers

Do you guys have a transcription of a release that came out called Appetite For Conversation? I had a cassette of it years ago, it was an interviewer talking to Slash and Duff, pretty bad audio but funny conversation during the AfD tour I think. ?

https://www.a-4-d.com/t558-1987-06-dd-vinyl-interview-appetite-for-conversation-slash-duff?highlight=1987

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Nice one, not heard this since mid 90s!

Here is a list of all the articles and interviews we have in our database from 1985 to March 2004 (of course we have interviews post March 2004, too, which will be progressively added in the list as @SoulMonster works on the history):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t2861-interview-and-article-index

So, for anyone looking for an interview from that period (text, audio or video) there is very high chance that you'll find it in our database - plus many more articles that you've probably never read. :) 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Nice one, not heard this since mid 90s!

@Blackstar and I have purchased what we could find of interview CDs and vinyls. I even bought myself a vinyl to mp3 machine so I could convert the vinyl interviews to digital format, which makes it easier to transcribe.

• Like 1