The history of GN'R as told by GN'R (A4D)

On 2/6/2021 at 8:20 AM, SoulMonster said:

Here's the index to the story so far: (1) 02. GLOBAL INDEX (a-4-d.com)

Some background info:

- To write the story so far I have read through more than 2000 articles comprising a database of more than 2,5 million words. That's a word file of 5302 pages written in font size 9.

- Throughout this abundance of material, Slash has on 57 different occasions made the disclaimer "all things considered" to make sure we understand he takes a holistic approach when considering stuff. No one else has said that.

- Steven has on different occasions graciously offered that Axl, Matt and Jizzy Pearl can kiss his ass. No one else has made that offer.

- Tracii for some reason doesn't disappear from the story but keeps inserting himself in various ways, lastly by suggesting he could replace Buckethead.

- Steven is entirely uninhibited and would in many ways been better off if the stroke had made him perfectly mute.

I have to ask, can you estimate the man hours you’ve placed into thing?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, I have been revising the history section at Appetite for Discussion and thought I should give you a heads up about this. If this is new to you here's some background: I am currently

We have a sticky thread with @zombux 's tables (with a link to his thread here) in the songs section: https://www.a-4-d.com/f8-gn-r-song-archive I'd like to add that, besides the about 2,500

Another section added: 25. AUGUST 2004-MAY 2006: FINALIZING CHINESE DEMOCRACY; LAWSUITS; RETURN TO NYC (a-4-d.com) This deals with the period from August 2004 until May 2006. People got to hear m

On 2/11/2021 at 6:17 PM, Sisyphus said:

Great work. I was browsing through a few paragraphs and I came across a ridiculously ironic quote from Axl I completely forgot about. In a 1999 interview he said he had watched Slash "throw it all away" by playing with "everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson" thus losing the "love and respect of the world." That's not what happened though whereas in the case of Axl ... :shrugs:

I've never encountered anyone who doesn't like the work Slash did with Michael Jackson. It's some of his best work imo. Frankly, I think Axl was jealous.

1 hour ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I've never encountered anyone who doesn't like the work Slash did with Michael Jackson. It's some of his best work imo. Frankly, I think Axl was jealous.

Slash playing with just about anybody in the 90’s made GNR cool because they weren’t stuck up rockers. Made me think Slash was a more open minded musician. 

Steve Riley: "Me, Mick, Kelly  & Phil  always wondered why the guys in GUNS N ROSES  wouldn’t give Tracii the fucking time of day.  They wouldn’t even say hi to him!  I’d been in rooms where GNR was there with Slash and the guys - they wouldn’t even look at Tracii!  I always wondered, “What the fuck?  How could it be that bad?”  Now I know.  He’s burnt bridges so bad that people in a band that supposedly has his name in it- 

If you go back to this fucking behind the scenes thing or whatever they had on VH1 for GUNS N ROSES  - Me & Phil  were on tour, we were waiting ‘cause we had heard Tracii did a four hour interview over at CBGB’s.  And we were waiting that year for it to come out, and we saw it on the bus & were watching it.  The first 15 minutes were gonna have to contain Trace , ‘cause it’s the beginning - Nothing!  Zero!  They didn’t even mention this guy’s name, and I found out why.  When Duff  and Slash  & those guys saw Tracii’s piece, they said, “We don’t need this fucking guy!  He has nothing to do with fucking GUNS N ROSES!”  So now here’s the supposed “GUNS” from GUNS N ROSES  that’s not even mentioned in their fucking history, bio or nothing!  He’s not even mentioned – he’s nothing.  Unless somebody – a journalist- says that it started back then.  But as far as the band’s concerned, he has nothing to do with their history at all, and I always wondered “What the fuck?“

https://justhereforwasp.tumblr.com/post/133176262594/dancingundercover-rockaholicllama-the

• GNFNR 1
7 hours ago, Sosso said:

Steve Riley: "Me, Mick, Kelly  & Phil  always wondered why the guys in GUNS N ROSES  wouldn’t give Tracii the fucking time of day.  They wouldn’t even say hi to him!  I’d been in rooms where GNR was there with Slash and the guys - they wouldn’t even look at Tracii!  I always wondered, “What the fuck?  How could it be that bad?”  Now I know.  He’s burnt bridges so bad that people in a band that supposedly has his name in it- 

If you go back to this fucking behind the scenes thing or whatever they had on VH1 for GUNS N ROSES  - Me & Phil  were on tour, we were waiting ‘cause we had heard Tracii did a four hour interview over at CBGB’s.  And we were waiting that year for it to come out, and we saw it on the bus & were watching it.  The first 15 minutes were gonna have to contain Trace , ‘cause it’s the beginning - Nothing!  Zero!  They didn’t even mention this guy’s name, and I found out why.  When Duff  and Slash  & those guys saw Tracii’s piece, they said, “We don’t need this fucking guy!  He has nothing to do with fucking GUNS N ROSES!”  So now here’s the supposed “GUNS” from GUNS N ROSES  that’s not even mentioned in their fucking history, bio or nothing!  He’s not even mentioned – he’s nothing.  Unless somebody – a journalist- says that it started back then.  But as far as the band’s concerned, he has nothing to do with their history at all, and I always wondered “What the fuck?“

https://justhereforwasp.tumblr.com/post/133176262594/dancingundercover-rockaholicllama-the

In my opinion Tracii Guns is completely irrelevant in the Guns N' Roses story. His status of "original" Gunner really detracts Slash's role and it's just unfair. LA Guns is a third rate rock band so Tracii is using his virtually non-existent GN'R connection as his claim to fame.  

14 hours ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I don't know if I'd call it some of his best work but being a big Michael Jackson fan myself I thought it was pretty cool. Jackson's Dangerous was very guitar driven and I sure as hell don't understand why working with the king of pop would be a disservice.

Come to think of it Axl's rise to the top and subsequent fall from grace has a lot of similarities with Jackson's albeit on a much much smaller scale. Jackson's popularity was just insane, unparalleled with the exception of The Beatles.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

I don't know if I'd call it some of his best work but being a big Michael Jackson fan myself I thought it was pretty cool. Jackson's Dangerous was very guitar driven and I sure as hell don't understand why working with the king of pop would be a disservice.

Come to think of it Axl's rise to the top and subsequent fall from grace has a lot of similarities with Jackson's albeit on a much much smaller scale. Jackson's popularity was just insanse, unparalleled with the exception of The Beatles.

I know Slash did a ton of work for other artists and some brilliant shit with Gn'R and even his own solo output. But I consider his work on Give In To Me as some of his best. It's subjective, of course, but it was of such a high quality and inspired plus I think it clicked with MJ's performance as well.

both solos were incredible imho. Tone, note choices, and just how dynamic the second solo is. I watched a Slash interview that was done by Ronnie Wood and Slash said Give In To Me was the best of the bunch from his sessions with MJ. It was obvious from his tone of voice that he was proud of the track.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, Sosso said:

Tracii talked about this WH1 documentary:

uten_109.png

Look, I reference mygnrforum in the excerpt above!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rovim said:

I know Slash did a ton of work for other artists and some brilliant shit with Gn'R and even his own solo output. But I consider his work on Give In To Me as some of his best. It's subjective, of course, but it was of such a high quality and inspired plus I think it clicked with MJ's performance as well.

both solos were incredible imho. Tone, note choices, and just how dynamic the second solo is. I watched a Slash interview that was done by Ronnie Wood and Slash said Give In To Me was the best of the bunch from his sessions with MJ. It was obvious from his tone of voice that he was proud of the track.

I love " Give in to me"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow the work you are putting into this is just extrodinary!  Such an interesting read especially as the board is pretty void of posts at the moment.  Thankyou for your hard work it is extremely appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1