Chinese Democracy Vinyl

10 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

@RussTCB what in your opinon is the best sounding GNR vinyl?

They're all about equal outside of Chinese IMO. That's what makes it such a bummer for me since CD is my favorite. The UYI records, AFD, Lies and even Live Era sound fantastic. Then CD is just awful (at least the US pressing) 

42 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

They're all about equal outside of Chinese IMO. That's what makes it such a bummer for me since CD is my favorite. The UYI records, AFD, Lies and even Live Era sound fantastic. Then CD is just awful (at least the US pressing) 

Don’t forget Spaghetti!!!

I managed to get a great conditioned copy recently and plan on spinning it tomorrow.

Actually - do you own either of the Roots Of Hollywood Rose LPs and if so...which is better. The newer cleopatra one seems to have 2 more tracks.

Edited by DTJ80
Added a question

22 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Don’t forget Spaghetti!!!

I managed to get a great conditioned copy recently and plan on spinning it tomorrow.

Actually - do you own either of the Roots Of Hollywood Rose LPs and if so...which is better. The newer cleopatra one seems to have 2 more tracks.

Oh yeah, I have Spaghetti too of course. I'm not a big fan of the album so I don't play it much. It sounds great when I do though. 

51 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh yeah, I have Spaghetti too of course. I'm not a big fan of the album so I don't play it much. It sounds great when I do though. 

I got a near mint copy for £45 ($56) on eBay - couldn’t believe my luck! I wish it was the orange vinyl but oh well. It’s a joke it’s not in regular print.

Do you have either of the Hollywood Rose vinyls? They are pretty cheap TBF but was curious as to what you thought (if you have them)?

Edited by DTJ80

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I got a near mint copy for £45 ($56) on eBay - couldn’t believe my luck! I wish it was the orange vinyl but oh well. It’s a joke it’s not in regular print.

Do you have either of the Hollywood Rose vinyls? They are pretty cheap TBF but was curious as to what you thought (if you have them)?

Nah, I haven't picked those up. 

16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'd buy that album just for Hair of the Dog.

I bought it for that and because I'm a completionist. That's the only two reasons haha

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Nah, I haven't picked those up. 

I bought it for that and because I'm a completionist. That's the only two reasons haha

Cool - I’ll probably just get the Cleopatra one anyway.

I like Spaghetti! There’s only a few duffers on it IMO - they should play more from it as opposed to stuff like Seeker and BHS.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I suppose @troccoli would most likely know. It’s just a cover I know - but it’s crap, really crap. Just another slap for CD - I totally get why Axl would be pissed at that decision being taken from him.

Regarding the EU pressings, I’ve been looking and anywhere that says it’s a EU pressing has the FBI logo or is usually being posted from US......I have found one picture from a Japanese site without the FBI warning.

It will take time I reckon to get an EU one via Amazon/eBay - once the lockdown is eased I will be checking out my locals to see what they have too.

I am always searching for red hand vinyl or grenade vinyl but have never neither, nor have I heard of anyone finding one.

1 hour ago, troccoli said:

I am always searching for red hand vinyl or grenade vinyl but have never neither, nor have I heard of anyone finding one.

Nightmare. Cheers for the reply. Do you know if they even exist?

A reissued, repressed Grenade cover vinyl.....take my money!!!!! Surely Axl would sign off on that! 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, troccoli said:

I found someone listing one of the cover B or C and I contacted them around the time the album came out, they had the UPC that matched what I was looking for. They described the cover as A though, with the bike we all know so it was a dead end. I don't think it ever made production. 

5 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

A reissued, repressed Grenade cover vinyl.....take my money!!!!! Surely Axl would sign off on that! 😂

After he re-records parts of, and remixes the songs of course!

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I found someone listing one of the cover B or C and I contacted them around the time the album came out, they had the UPC that matched what I was looking for. They described the cover as A though, with the bike we all know so it was a dead end. I don't think it ever made production. 

Someone very lucky will have no doubt have a test example - there must have been a couple of them created for ‘examples’? Knowing our luck, thousands were probably printed but once the decided to go with the bike, they will have recycled them or something.....😭

And don’t give him any extra encouragement to muck about with CD! 😂

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 11:20 PM, doakes said:

There were plenty of poor pressings that came out at launch. The one I got had issues. 

The album itself is really dynamic and well mixed, which got some high praise in the time of Death Magnetic loudness. I've mainly listened on CD and there are so many layers, you can hear something new everytime you listen.

Mine had issues, too. Skipped like crazy. 

On 5.6.2020 at 9:29 AM, DTJ80 said:

According to Discogs it doesn’t exist. Besides I never heard it does. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

According to Discogs it doesn’t exist. Besides I never heard it does. 

Yeah, I didn’t think it would in an official capacity but wasn’t sure. I wondered if examples/test prints had been done at least as part of the creation process?

11 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah, I didn’t think it would in an official capacity but wasn’t sure. I wondered if examples/test prints had been done at least as part of the creation process?

No, even test pressings are listed on discogs. This especially goes for major bands like GNR. Hence, I am sure it doesn’t exist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zigzagbigbag said:

No, even test pressings are listed on discogs. This especially goes for major bands like GNR. Hence, I am sure it doesn’t exist. 

Fair enough mate - seems odd they were taking pre-orders for them! Oh well - here’s hoping we get them on the CD anniversary release........😂

I‘ve just double checked my CD vinyl version I bought in Germany in 2008 right on the date of its release. It has no FBI logo and clearly states „Made in the EU“ right above the barcode. Since it is still sealed I unfortunately cannot tell anything regarding the pressing quality. 

Regarding the Hollywood Rose Lps. I got this German pressing by ZYX music, released in 2007:

https://www.discogs.com/Hollywood-Rose-The-Roots-Of-Guns-N-Roses/release/2014661

To be honest, I don’t think I have ever listened to it. I just bought it as an collectors item. All Hollywood Rose compilations on vinyl are dirt cheap, at least in Germany. 

If you really want to know about pressing quality or which versions are the best ones of a specific well known record, I highly recommend the Steve Hoffmann forum.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

Just use the search function and you will find anything you need. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/80485764/?q=guns+roses&o=relevance&c[node]=2

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I‘ve just double checked my CD vinyl version I bought in Germany in 2008 right on the date of its release. It has no FBI logo and clearly states „Made in the EU“ right above the barcode. Since it is still sealed I unfortunately cannot tell anything regarding the pressing quality. 

Regarding the Hollywood Rose Lps. I got this German pressing by ZYX music, released in 2007:

https://www.discogs.com/Hollywood-Rose-The-Roots-Of-Guns-N-Roses/release/2014661

To be honest, I don’t think I have ever listened to it. I just bought it as an collectors item. All Hollywood Rose compilations on vinyl are dirt cheap, at least in Germany. 

If you really want to know about pressing quality or which versions are the best ones of a specific well known record, I highly recommend the Steve Hoffmann forum.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

Just use the search function and you will find anything you need. 

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/80485764/?q=guns+roses&o=relevance&c[node]=2

Cheers mate. I saw that ZYX one and prefer the cover to the cleopatra one however it has less tracks which put men off. The more I think about it - do I care if I have the extra tracks (some additional remixes)....probably not! Will see what chat there is regarding quality. 👍

• Like 1

I may end up just grabbing one off of Discogs and hoping for the best. If I do grab one, I'll just pay extra and get it from overseas. Then it's just a matter of if the pressing is actually superior to the US pressing. From eveyrhting I've heard, it should be. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, zigzagbigbag said:

I own/have seen lots of test pressing not listed there.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great resource, just not complete. 

On 6/5/2020 at 12:29 AM, DTJ80 said:

I hear you there!

On 6/5/2020 at 5:37 AM, Sweersa said:

I think I did once as well and had the same experience.  I was really excited at first though!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, troccoli said:

I own/have seen lots of test pressing not listed there.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great resource, just not complete. 

Indeed, Discogs by far isn’t complete. Totally agree. I‘ve been collecting records for 30 years now and still got lots of stuff which isn’t listed. But this goes for small indie/punk bands or obscure releases. In terms of huge major label releases my experience is that Discogs is petty complete.

Besides, don’t you think that any existing alternative covers for CD on vinyl would be listed after 12 years of its release? I mean, in 2008 we immediately have been aware of the alternative compact disc-versions. Furthermore, those vinyl records would not be typical boring test pressings but proper alternative packaged versions of an major album release which lots of people are interested in. They would be something else like - lets say - a test pressing of a Live and let die 7“ single from the Netherlands with white labels and a generic paper sleeve which might be missing in Discogs. 

Anyway, I highly doubt that alternative CD versions do exist on vinyl. Otherwise, we would know. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 2

Just listened to my US copy....and ditto - crap sounding on the inner tracks. Proper rubbish....can’t listen to Prostitute?! 🤬

Will need to scour the record shops for an EU press.

Random thought - with all the bootlegs kicking about, im amazed no-one has ever mocked up a Red Hand/Grenade version of the cover. If I saw one, I’d be tempted even if unofficial!