New[ish] Velvet Revolver Song

Whigged

Turns out author and singer Nick Fowler was one of the people who tried out for Velvet Revolver after Scott's exit. He's just released a song he did for the band in 2008 called "Long Way Down to Gehenna" to all streaming services and YouTube. It's fairly generic musically, probably one of only a couple sent out to potential vocalists. What he did with it is not too bad overall IMO. In related news, Fowler has since had the realization that he is Jesus Christ reincarnated. 

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I can’t remember who, but someone else who auditioned for the band used this same riff on one of their songs as well.

Not sure what you mean. This is VR playing on the track. They sent the same music out to all the vocalists being considered. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whigged said:

Not sure what you mean. This is VR playing on the track. They sent the same music out to all the vocalists being considered. 

Yes, I know. I’m just saying I know at least one or two other musicians who have since released their “audition tapes” to YouTube.

• 4 weeks later...

I recall an interview with Sebastian Bach where he said he recorded three songs with Velvet Revolver in the early days, when they were still searching for a singer. Apparently it sounded too much like "Skid Roses" 

Would be interesting to hear those tracks! Probably similar to existing songs, but with Bach on lead vocals of course. 

Had Bach been selected, I wonder what that would have done with his friendship with Axl Rose. Probably wouldn't have been good, back then.

It will take probably never happen but it would be cool as hell to release a VR box set featuring all the unreleased Scott stuff & demos from all the other notable singers they recorded with (Bach, Josh Todd, Frank Perez, Corey Taylor) at the very least it would be cool to put out a record of just the unreleased Scott stuff, we know there’s quite a few recordings they did that never got released and the rest could be filled out with live stuff.

but since none of that will ever be released I’m begging somebody, anybody to leak the instrumental demos they sent out to singers during the 2 audition periods. As much as I like the songs I don’t wanna hear random people with no connection to VR singing them lol. Worst part is that all these songs are probably sitting somewhere with Scott vocals on them too.

Edited by The Matinator

On 7/2/2020 at 12:52 PM, The Matinator said:

It will take probably never happen but it would be cool as hell to release a VR box set featuring all the unreleased Scott stuff & demos from all the other notable singers they recorded with (Bach, Josh Todd, Frank Perez, Corey Taylor) at the very least it would be cool to put out a record of just the unreleased Scott stuff, we know there’s quite a few recordings they did that never got released and the rest could be filled out with live stuff.

but since none of that will ever be released I’m begging somebody, anybody to leak the instrumental demos they sent out to singers during the 2 audition periods. As much as I like the songs I don’t wanna hear random people with no connection to VR singing them lol. Worst part is that all these songs are probably sitting somewhere with Scott vocals on them too.

That would be really cool, and I think it would sell well also.

I'm with you on the second part, would really love to hear the instrumental demos without vocals. Anyone got them? I wonder if any of these guys who had auditioned and put up their renditions online have the instrumental ones.

• 2 weeks later...