New Melissa Reese Article

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That's kinda the point. The only time you really notice her, she sounds good (backing vocals). But you can hear what she adds if you listen to the Apollo soundboard, Mr Brownstone is a good example of how she 'thickens the sound'.

Hmmm ill see if i can track the song down and have a listen. The only thing i notice is her dancing onstage like the strippers the band had in the old days.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

I know Wikipedia had her birth year slashed for a while which caused great debate and confusion, but it was based on a article that talked about her age but didn't specify at which point in the year. This would seem to confirm that 1990 is correct!

Who needs new pro-shot videos when information like this is coming out!

French and italian wikipedia had her birthday listed as 1st March 1985 in Seattle for years. I'm pretty sure the lied about her age now, considering it was gone from the english wiki all the time, maybe she even removed it herself

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

The times when you know more about band’s inner life from interviews (the first one from Mel was in autumn 2018) of a keyboardist and background vocalist rather than the lead persons. Guns’ has finally achieved the privacy of touring. For better or for worse...  

Edited by nikothebellic

22 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

She says they are like big brothers. Axl did this

During a 2018 show at Aloha Stadium in Hawaii, she felt a tug on her hair midway through a song. She looks back and sees Axl Rose standing there with a big chunk of blue hair in one hand and a large pair of scissors in the other. “I’m like, ‘What the fuck is going on?'” she says. “I stopped playing and started screaming. He runs away and I don’t know if he’s taken off a huge chunk or what.”

It turns out the hair wasn’t hers — it was all a practical joke that Axl spent weeks meticulously plotting out. He even had a tour assistant bring him different wigs with all sorts of shades of blue so he could find the perfect match for her hair. “They went through all the possibilities of what might happen,” says Reese. “Someone even said she might grab the scissors and stab you. But he was so pleased with himself and it was pretty fucking rad.”

I know this is kind of funny but at the risk of sounding like a po-face if he really spent weeks plotting this out then someone has too much time on their hands. Like, is this why we get toy trucks and laundry bags instead of albums? 

I know practical jokes can be funny but at the same time it's also a bit weird.

• GNFNR 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, SOH said:

By 2030 Frank will have one called "Orange Frog", Slash will have one called "Purple Frog", Duff will have one called "Blue Frog", Fortus will have one called "Yellow Frog", and the rest of us will still not have a new album.

You must assemble all the Infinity Frogs (TM UZISUICIDAL) in order to snap the new GNR album into existence.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Sounds like the adds additional drum sounds here. @soon What do you think? 

I see what you’re getting at with her left hands motions. Hmm, I’m not sure I hear it, though.

But I do hear some processed sounding rhythm section elements, so I can really get where you’re coning from. I’ll get to that below.

First though, I actually hear a very synthy synth part for sure. I believe I can hear that part and that it corresponds with her left hands movements. But she is playing with both hands so there still could be drums coming from one hand?

This clip is great for highlighting her synth playing, even if it turns out that she’s not on drums too!

I'd love if you could help me hear and see more of what you are? What do you hear her playing? You might be on to something?

More thoughts:

Spoiler

MELS SYNTH??

I believe that her left hand is playing a synth pad type tone but with ‘room’ to finesse it and add accents. It’s got some old school modulation on it. Also some swell and a slow decay which lets her kinda fall in behind the beat, behind the chord changes which makes it less noticeable as a distinct part. It’s also makes her physical performance look very rhythmic. The part I hear is almost bouncy in a slow motion and subtle kinda way. 

I think she’s playing an inversion of the chords which leaves a complimentary note to slash’s leads as her highest note in the chord?(which we don’t hear slash in this clip, but we know the song well enough to know his part there). 

Anyways, there’s her other hand too though. That’s, personally, where I’d be more inclined to wonder about if she’s contributing to the percussion at all - because it really does have some digital vibes to the sound in this clip. 

We can’t really see her right hand. It’s on the top key/module on the right side of her rig. If one knows how she’s set up, we could figure that out easier. I kinda think she is using a toggle or a finger pad to add the bend we hear on her synth about half way into this clip?

Do you hear that synth?? I think she also cranks the modulation and echo after an accent we see coordinate with her left hand. So that could be all that’s up. Or I’m completely wrong is even more likely! Lol

RHYTHM SECTION??

What I hear on the rhythm section, which sounds mechanical to my ears, seems to be that they have Franks kick and the low end of Duffs bass “shelved” together. That is, sharing the same ‘space’ in the physical speakers - like on home stereos, with the tweeter and subwoofer. The speakers and/or stereos are designed to send the bass frequencies to the sub woofers and the high end to the tweeters. In concerts this is taken to a entire other level.

Often - and I’m confident here, in this case - the engineer can use a “key” device to “lock” the bass and kick together. What this does is align the full impact of each instrument. So like if Duff is a millisecond ahead of the kick, the kick will unlock duffs bass and only let it come through the locked/paired channel in the mix as one, unison sound. This leads to a techno/club type sound. Like, you can tell somethings up, just like with auto tuned vocals, for instance. If I’m not mistaken they have largely replaced the sub bass parts with this lock and key technique?

[Duff also has his high end shelved separately from Frank but we don’t hear duffs high end in this clip. (Duffs high end is processed to be looser - almost sloppy sounding but in a good way. His highs really only shine through the mix above certain notes)]

But that’s just my rant about a short clip, lol. Curious to hear more of your thoughts?

Edited by soon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

Sounds like the adds additional drum sounds here. @soon What do you think? 

So, not only is she playing guitar parts on her keyboards, she’s also playing the drums. Shit, why don’t they just get rid of Frank, Slash and Fortus, as clearly there’s no need for them on stage with her doing it on the keyboard... :facepalm::lol: