WTF Finck Solo

I liked a lot of Robin's interpretations of the solos, especially the Sweet Child one. He gives it his own flavour while keeping true to the principle melodies. Reminds me of Bruce Kulick doing Ace's solos in KISS - he did his own thing but kept the key harmonic content.

Much better than DJ Ashba who, despite attempting to play the material more faithfully than Robin, usually ended up simplifying the solos to be able to play them and thus came across as more of an amateur. Bumblefoot typically saved the day.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, El Guapo said:

What?

I just saw a video on youtube, the first one you get when you type "robin finck guns n roses" on youtube. It's a pretty shitty solo spot first, then comes SCOM. And I have to say, the way Robin plays that main solo is insane. Passion, feel , the bends, it sounds wild and awesome. It sounds better than Slash. Fucking hell.

it's horrible !!!! really better than Slash ???? you break my ears !!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

He grew into the role, imo. The first few years he was horrible. 

That must be the case because when I was still following Gn'R early on he was terrible. I saw them live almost 20 years ago and I still remember his awful solos.. I stopped following the band for almost 15 years after that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That must be the case because when I was still following Gn'R early on he was terrible. I saw them live almost 20 years ago and I still remember his awful solos.. I stopped following the band for almost 15 years after that. 

Yeah, well, in the beginning I hated everything about Finck as well. It's a fine line for sure.

The worst thing in guitar playing are bad bends, it's just wrong and sounds like shit, always.

Slash is an absolute master of this technique and used it alot, November Rain solos, etc.

Finck fucked up so bad it was almost an insult. But when he's on he's one hell of an exciting player, imo.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Is there anyone else who would  want to hear what Slash would sound like on Shacklers Revenge?

Yes but just out of pure curiosity. I feel like Slash would just sort of shred with no structure or anything. It'd be pretty damn cool if he could do it justice though!

10 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Yes but just out of pure curiosity. I feel like Slash would just sort of shred with no structure or anything. It'd be pretty damn cool if he could do it justice though!

I wish he could play Bucket's stuff better, but I can't fault him as they are both pretty different in style.

I'm sorry but to me that's just Finck butchering a classic solo as always. Better than Slash? The only solo Finck has ever played better than Slash is the Better solo. Imo Slash even surpassed him on TIL. To me the best Slash improvisation on TIL is easily better than Finck's studio take. Not a fan of his. But I have to admit his Better solo is gold.

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I'm sorry but to me that's just Finck butchering a classic solo as always. Better than Slash? The only solo Finck has ever played better than Slash is the Better solo. Imo Slash even surpassed him on TIL. To me the best Slash improvisation on TIL is easily better than Finck's studio take. Not a fan of his. But I have to admit his Better solo is gold.

Did you hear Finck's SCOM solo on the Big Daddy version? I thought that was excellent, even though partial.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Did you hear Finck's SCOM solo on the Big Daddy version? I thought that was excellent, even though partial.

Do you know he played just the second half of the solo? I think his part is awful but that's just my opnion. If you like it, cool.

16 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Do you know he played just the second half of the solo? I think his part is awful but that's just my opnion. If you like it, cool.

Yes. I liked Axl's singing on it too, perhaps that what I was thinking more than the solo.

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Slash butchers this I love worse than any song in history. The band are playing one song and slash is playing something completely different. The album solo is fantastic, so much passion, the Ashba solo was good. The slash version shows exactly where he is in this version of guns - there for a payday and no more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Slash has somehow managed to play the worst versions of the TIL solo (aside from maybe the first time they played it with Ashba). Even the 'good' versions of Slash's TIL solo aren't as good as Robin's IMO.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:18 AM, El Guapo said:

Yeah, well, in the beginning I hated everything about Finck as well. It's a fine line for sure.

The worst thing in guitar playing are bad bends, it's just wrong and sounds like shit, always.

Slash is an absolute master of this technique and used it alot, November Rain solos, etc.

Finck fucked up so bad it was almost an insult. But when he's on he's one hell of an exciting player, imo.

Some of the awkward bends are intentional. Finck learned traditional guitar when he was young. Then he threw the book out and began experimenting with different sounds whole developing his own sound. Like those before him ie: Les Paul, Hendrix eve etc. 

The awkward bends and especially  he sporadically jumps up and down the fret board finding gorgeous notes is quite unique and fresh sounding. That and his raunchy grudge tone. All the reasons why he got the gnr gig in the first place.

Just like you guys as a Slash fan  I thought he was terrible in 2001-2002 but he really grew on me in a big way. 

Buckethead too. Most thought this guy is like a robot. You need to play with emotion, from the heart and your with soul If you are replacing Slash.

Well it turned out Bucket was just as soulful and otherworldly 

On 6/11/2020 at 5:07 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash has somehow managed to play the worst versions of the TIL solo (aside from maybe the first time they played it with Ashba).

Nah even Ashby’s first time playing it was superior to Slash’s

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wish he could play Bucket's stuff better, but I can't fault him as they are both pretty different in style.

He actually played a decent version of Bucket’s TWAT solo. It seems Slash has no respect for Robin. He was the one who directly replaced Slash after all. On the other hand Slash praises Buckethead’s virtuosity. I’m convinced he purposely butchers Robins solo and doesn’t give them the time of day. In Slash’s mind Robin butchered his iconic solos so now he’s returning the favor by butchering Robin’s.

Same as with the Sweet Child of Mine intro. Slash hated the song, thought it was cheesy and probably hated the fact that it was Axl’s song and not a collaborative effort like most of Appetite was. So he came up with a goofy/circus-y bit in jest not being serious at all and the rest is history. One of if not the most iconic guitar intros ever

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The thing with Robin was, he wasn't the worst guitar player in Guns, but he was probably the most inconsistent.

Sometimes, he sounded really good. But when he was bad, he sounded really fucking bad.

His playing on the album (and Village demos) is great though.

I think as the years went by with all the criticism And pressure from gnr fans to do the classic songs justice he caved and did did the right thing. Even though Axl probably had no issue with it and likely encouraged him to give it his own take as Axl wanted to erase Slash from gnr’s history at the time

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash has somehow managed to play the worst versions of the TIL solo (aside from maybe the first time they played it with Ashba). Even the 'good' versions of Slash's TIL solo aren't as good as Robin's IMO.

6 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Slash butchers this I love worse than any song in history. The band are playing one song and slash is playing something completely different. The album solo is fantastic, so much passion, the Ashba solo was good. The slash version shows exactly where he is in this version of guns - there for a payday and no more.

6 hours ago, UcudBmine said:

Slash doesn't really do the CD songs justice. Not that he has to imho, the songs aren't his.

But I can't hate Robin's TIL solo, that was a different Robin to me. His solo was the only good thing about that song.

These are all opinions and there's nothing right or wrong with them since it's all about taste. Robin, with exception of the Better solo, doesn't get me. I love guitar and the GNR songs, but his attempts are cringeworthy to me. His TIL solo is not bad but it sounds forced.

When I first heard Slash play the TIL solo it was like... Wow... the king is back! You thought his solo was just noodling? To me these were exact the right notes to play. That wasn't noodling. He made his guitar cry once again with awesome bendings and nice runs. 

I admit this was at the beginning of the tour in 2016, later on he started noodling more and more and he didn't play it consistently good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Is there anyone else who would  want to hear what Slash would sound like on Shacklers Revenge?

Yeah. That is the one CD song I'm kinda missing. It grew on me in concert. I love the chorus.

Edited by PatrickS77

I always find it really strange when people say their favorite Guns N Roses guitarist is NOT Slash.  Like, him and Izzy wrote 90% of the guitar parts in a standard GNR set.  Iconic riffs and solo's.

CD barely has a single riff on the entire album.

Its just weird to me how anyone could like a guitar player that hasn't really written much of their own stuff and is just covering someone else's work.

Its like preferring a cover band to the actual band.

• Like 2