Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I always find it really strange when people say their favorite Guns N Roses guitarist is NOT Slash.  Like, him and Izzy wrote 90% of the guitar parts in a standard GNR set.  Iconic riffs and solo's.

CD barely has a single riff on the entire album.

Its just weird to me how anyone could like a guitar player that hasn't really written much of their own stuff and is just covering someone else's work.

Its like preferring a cover band to the actual band.

I'm not saying this in a shitty way, but I've never understood what's so hard for others to understand. 

Slash was in GNR, did some great work with them, then left. 

Another guy (Finck) came along, played Slashs stuff as well or better (IMO, in some cases) then added a ton of his own personality and style to the band. Then he ended up playing my favorite GNR solo (TIL) on my favorite GNR album (CD). All of which is in addition to the kick ass work he did on the rest of that album. 

So, in short, it's very easy for me to prefer Robin to Slash. 

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What? I just saw a video on youtube, the first one you get when you type "robin finck guns n roses" on youtube. It's a pretty shitty solo spot first, then comes SCOM. And I have to say, the way R

Hands down the single worst guitarist to ever perform under the GNR name.   I'd take fucking Ashba over him any day.   Cause at least Ashba played the goddamn songs the way they were meant to be playe

Robin's solos on the Chinese Democracy material (Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher, etc) are unquestionably better than whatever Slash decides he's going to play in the moment.  For someone who i

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not saying this in a shitty way, but I've never understood what's so hard for others to understand. 

Slash was in GNR, did some great work with them, then left. 

Another guy (Finck) came along, played Slashs stuff as well or better (IMO, in some cases) then added a ton of his own personality and style to the band. Then he ended up playing my favorite GNR solo (TIL) on my favorite GNR album (CD). All of which is in addition to the kick ass work he did on the rest of that album. 

So, in short, it's very easy for me to prefer Robin to Slash. 

Out of curiosity, what's your favorite non-GN'R-Robin moment or song?

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not saying this in a shitty way, but I've never understood what's so hard for others to understand. 

Slash was in GNR, did some great work with them, then left. 

Another guy (Finck) came along, played Slashs stuff as well or better (IMO, in some cases) then added a ton of his own personality and style to the band. Then he ended up playing my favorite GNR solo (TIL) on my favorite GNR album (CD). All of which is in addition to the kick ass work he did on the rest of that album. 

So, in short, it's very easy for me to prefer Robin to Slash. 

I love his solos on Hardschool, Perhaps, and Zodiac (I assume both are his, I could be wrong though as these tracks are largely uncredited)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-06-11 at 6:45 AM, estrangedtwat said:

Hands down the single worst guitarist to ever perform under the GNR name.   I'd take fucking Ashba over him any day.   Cause at least Ashba played the goddamn songs the way they were meant to be played.

 

Robin's take on the AFD stuff is excruciating.   He sounds like a little kid that found his dad's guitar and just started fucking around with it.

 

I saw him with NIN and he was great, but for fuck's sake, was he godawful in Guns N Roses.

Yeah I really wonder about some of the people that praise him...I've been playing guitar for 20 years and he is a terrible player for GNR.

For hack n slash overblown image NIN stuff he fits but songs like head like a hole doesn't require much skills.

 

Edited by sackxl
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Slash butchers this I love worse than any song in history. The band are playing one song and slash is playing something completely different. The album solo is fantastic, so much passion, the Ashba solo was good. The slash version shows exactly where he is in this version of guns - there for a payday and no more.

The difference is Slash is (and CAN) improvising to what he feels on the night ...he is hit and miss sometimes but he completely smokes Finck.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Some of the awkward bends are intentional. Finck learned traditional guitar when he was young. Then he threw the book out and began experimenting with different sounds whole developing his own sound. Like those before him ie: Les Paul, Hendrix eve etc. 
 

The awkward bends and especially  he sporadically jumps up and down the fret board finding gorgeous notes is quite unique and fresh sounding. That and his raunchy grudge tone. All the reasons why he got the gnr gig in the first place.

Just like you guys as a Slash fan  I thought he was terrible in 2001-2002 but he really grew on me in a big way. 
 

Buckethead too. Most thought this guy is like a robot. You need to play with emotion, from the heart and your with soul If you are replacing Slash.

Well it turned out Bucket was just as soulful and otherworldly 

Nah even Ashby’s first time playing it was superior than Slash’s

If you think this slop is intentional :lol:

 

Bonus "pop shot" face from Fortus too 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Let me be more precise, what's your favorite thing Robin has done outside of GN'R? Do you like Nine Inch Nails at all? 😂 I do love Estranged though

I totally misread your original question, my bad. I like nin but don't love them. Robin's work in GNR is really the thing I'm most familiar with that he's done. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Free Bird said:

 

 

These are all opinions and there's nothing right or wrong with them since it's all about taste. Robin, with exception of the Better solo, doesn't get me. I love guitar and the GNR songs, but his attempts are cringeworthy to me. His TIL solo is not bad but it sounds forced.

When I first heard Slash play the TIL solo it was like... Wow... the king is back! You thought his solo was just noodling? To me these were exact the right notes to play. That wasn't noodling. He made his guitar cry once again with awesome bendings and nice runs. 

I admit this was at the beginning of the tour in 2016, later on he started noodling more and more and he didn't play it consistently good.

I'd love to hear Slash do Streets of Dreams.....I actually think Robin did a decent job on that one …..when you think of the time frame these guys had to work on CD compared to Slash and co bashing out the UYI.....its almost laughable.

I never gave two shits about TIL until I heard it live and Slash just lay it down....hes does have some off nights but he is playing off the cuff …..something probably only Bumble/Bucket and Fortus had the ability to do solidly 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I totally misread your original question, my bad. I like nin but don't love them. Robin's work in GNR is really the thing I'm most familiar with that he's done. 

No worries at all! I do like his playing, and some Nine Inch Nails, just wish the GN'R experience wasn't so tumultuous. I think the weird mix of industrial, with hard/ballad rock was cool. Better is a perfect example, and TIL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I totally misread your original question, my bad. I like nin but don't love them. Robin's work in GNR is really the thing I'm most familiar with that he's done. 

Robin Finck & Wordclock - TCAS - SoundCloud
Listen to Robin Finck & Wordclock - TCAS by Laced Records on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/laced-records/robin-finck-worldclock-tcas

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I always find it really strange when people say their favorite Guns N Roses guitarist is NOT Slash.  Like, him and Izzy wrote 90% of the guitar parts in a standard GNR set.  Iconic riffs and solo's.

CD barely has a single riff on the entire album.

Its just weird to me how anyone could like a guitar player that hasn't really written much of their own stuff and is just covering someone else's work.

Its like preferring a cover band to the actual band.

YOU may find it strange, but  if I'm listening to GnR I tend to find myself listening to C.D. (or locker leaks)... People have different tastes, music speaks to everyone in an individual way. AFD, has always been my least favorite GNR album, more of an Illusions and C.D. listener. The C.D. era in particular is interesting because of the compositions by Finck and to some extent Bucket... Great stuff, unique stuff. In a world where Axl would have been able (or capable) to get more records released I'm sure Robin would have eventually been appreciated by larger (or new) segment of the fan base. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not saying this in a shitty way, but I've never understood what's so hard for others to understand. 

Slash was in GNR, did some great work with them, then left. 

Another guy (Finck) came along, played Slashs stuff as well or better (IMO, in some cases) then added a ton of his own personality and style to the band. Then he ended up playing my favorite GNR solo (TIL) on my favorite GNR album (CD). All of which is in addition to the kick ass work he did on the rest of that album. 

So, in short, it's very easy for me to prefer Robin to Slash. 

I'm not saying this in a shitty way either, but I think the only way to like Finck more than Slash as GNR's lead guitarist is when CD is your favorit album. An album most casuals don't know and a lot people of the fanbase do not consider it to be a GNR album at all.

It's simply different... it has his moments like Fincks Better solo or BH's guitar work on Sorry but other than that it misses the classic rock style, the old school hard rock GNR were playing. Of course someone can like it more and like Finck more. But for most of those who waited for the original sound of GNR CD was a disappointment. 

I personally don't agree with the claim that CD is the natural development of GNR.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sackxl said:

I'd love to hear Slash do Streets of Dreams.....I actually think Robin did a decent job on that one …..when you think of the time frame these guys had to work on CD compared to Slash and co bashing out the UYI.....its almost laughable.

I never gave two shits about TIL until I heard it live and Slash just lay it down....hes does have some off nights but he is playing off the cuff …..something probably only Bumble/Bucket and Fortus had the ability to do solidly 

I totally agree with your second part of the post. It's how I felt and feel about it.

Street of Dreams is a song I just don't like, similar with Catcher I don't care who plays guitar because the song itself isn't my cup of tea. But that's just me. It's a melodic song so people like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

FYI: anyone who posted a GnR vid on the first page of this thread got flagged by you know who and are now taken down from YouTube. I would suggest not posting video links on here.

As long as those videos are just Robin Finck playing GNR songs... :P

Just joking, sensitive topic.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They will be up again. God, these video takedowns are like the rotten cherry on top of the shitcake that is GnR fandom. 

Street of dreams, that solo is a good example of Robin's creative approach. I like it alot. I really don't think today's Slash would bother to come up with something equal or better, so maybe it better remains unplayed live.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

They will be up again. God, these video takedowns are like the rotten cherry on top of the shitcake that is GnR fandom. 

Street of dreams, that solo is a good example of Robin's creative approach. I like it alot. I really don't think today's Slash would bother to come up with something equal or better, so maybe it better remains unplayed live.

I heard several better solos on the last Slash record tbh :shrugs:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing that I feel about Nu Guns is that a lot of the members didn’t really give a toss about the band. 
 

For all the love that Buckethead receives, I don’t think he has ever mentioned the band again. Seems like he hated his time in Guns and has never looked back. 

I don’t follow Robin too closely but I don’t think Guns was exactly the highlight of his career either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I'm not saying this in a shitty way either, but I think the only way to like Finck more than Slash as GNR's lead guitarist is when CD is your favorit album. An album most casuals don't know and a lot people of the fanbase do not consider it to be a GNR album at all.

It's simply different... it has his moments like Fincks Better solo or BH's guitar work on Sorry but other than that it misses the classic rock style, the old school hard rock GNR were playing. Of course someone can like it more and like Finck more. But for most of those who waited for the original sound of GNR CD was a disappointment. 

I personally don't agree with the claim that CD is the natural development of GNR.

 

plus 

 

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

They will be up again. God, these video takedowns are like the rotten cherry on top of the shitcake that is GnR fandom. 

Street of dreams, that solo is a good example of Robin's creative approach. I like it alot. I really don't think today's Slash would bother to come up with something equal or better, so maybe it better remains unplayed live.

you had any idea how long  they were in the studio?  having 2 or 3 good solos is laughable(plus his career as a guitar  player is nothing  to write about)People like to give him more credit than is due.

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Another thing that I feel about Nu Guns is that a lot of the members didn’t really give a toss about the band. 
 

For all the love that Buckethead receives, I don’t think he has ever mentioned the band again. Seems like he hated his time in Guns and has never looked back. 

I don’t follow Robin too closely but I don’t think Guns was exactly the highlight of his career either.

the guy doesn't  have a highlight in his career. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I'm not saying this in a shitty way either, but I think the only way to like Finck more than Slash as GNR's lead guitarist is when CD is your favorit album. An album most casuals don't know and a lot people of the fanbase do not consider it to be a GNR album at all.

It's simply different... it has his moments like Fincks Better solo or BH's guitar work on Sorry but other than that it misses the classic rock style, the old school hard rock GNR were playing. Of course someone can like it more and like Finck more. But for most of those who waited for the original sound of GNR CD was a disappointment. 

I personally don't agree with the claim that CD is the natural development of GNR.

 

And that's the thing; I wasn't waiting for the original GN'R sound. I'd already seen and heard the original GN'R sound, so I was more than happy to move past it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Another thing that I feel about Nu Guns is that a lot of the members didn’t really give a toss about the band. 
 

For all the love that Buckethead receives, I don’t think he has ever mentioned the band again. Seems like he hated his time in Guns and has never looked back. 

I don’t follow Robin too closely but I don’t think Guns was exactly the highlight of his career either.

I think the idea they didn't care is really inaccurate. I think they actually maybe cared too much. 

The Appetite For Democracy DVD contains interviews with them all and their enthusiasm for the band and pushing it forward really shines through in those. It's almost sad looking back how much they seemed to want to develop the band and how it never happened. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...