When did the Slash + Duff hate start?

Is it just me that is noticing a large amount of Slash and Duff hate spilling out into almost every topic on this forum?  Rewind back to 2016 for a minute.  Slash and Duff returning allowed Guns N Roses to return to stadiums.  Lots of people were saying that Slash was a beast and the star of the show.  Axl was doing a fairly top notch job as well back then.  

As Axl started to struggle vocally, Slash stepped up even more and carried the shows at times.

It didn't take long for the forum to turn though did it?  Now apparently he is just there to collect a pay check, has no passion, just noodles.  Lots of negative comments on his guitar playing.

Duff probably gets it even worse.  There is often a real hatred towards him on here for no real reason at all as far as I can tell.  People mocking him over the punk thing and so on.

I'll be the first to admit that Slash's style is a little different these days.  He obviously plays a bit faster at times.  I think its blown completely out of proportion on here though.  Almost every solo sticks close to the original structure.  (Apart from maybe TIL) 

Is it just me that is noticing this?

When and why do you think this started?  

• Like 4

As someone who joined after the reunion, I noticed that a lot of Axl's fans outright hate Slash or downplay his skills. But there are other members who are not so biased but just aren't that into his style of playing nowadays. 

I don't think many have super strong opinions about Duff. I saw criticism against both from the beginning with regards to just cashing in so I wouldn't say that any of this is new tbh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

A lot of fans where hoping that Slash and Duff would bring changes to the way GnR operates. As time went by we all had to realise that they just replaced their replacements. 

It seems like they don't really care about anything except the money. The reunion feels heartless and soulless. 

This also, especially now that we know how things went down regarding Izzy and Matt.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

A lot of fans where hoping that Slash and Duff would bring changes to the way GnR operates. As time went by we all had to realise that they just replaced their replacements. 

It seems like they don't really care about anything except the money. The reunion feels heartless and soulless. 

I think the heartless and soulness thing is mainly because the band never talk really.  They never do band interviews.  Axl barely ever speaks about Guns.  He barely even speaks onstage apart from maybe the odd joke.  And clearly individuals are encouraged not to give anything away to the media when they are talking.

If they really didn't care at all though, they'd be out there playing a 90 minute greatest hits set.  

• Like 3

My personal opinion of slash and duff has dived in the last 2 years as I gradually realised that this is just new gnr plus slash and duff.   A total cash grab of a tour with no intention of releasing new music. 
they’ve become yes men. 
keep your mouth shut and earn millions....

I guess I can’t blame them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Creed said:

The hate started when Izzy made his reunion loot statement. 

The slash hate began in the early 2002s, where people here on mygnt said that Slash is actually a very sloppy player and overrated, while Buckethead is technically superior to him, bla bla bla

The irony of that is that Izzy wanted the money!  And openly admitted he wanted equal loot.  

28 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

My personal opinion of slash and duff has dived in the last 2 years as I gradually realised that this is just new gnr plus slash and duff.   A total cash grab of a tour with no intention of releasing new music. 
they’ve become yes men. 
keep your mouth shut and earn millions....

I guess I can’t blame them.

I'm not going to come on a Guns forum and defend the band in terms of new music.  1 album in almost 30 years is pathetic.  

However, it is confirmed that Slash recorded at Axl's house.  They've also confirmed in a few interviews that they have stuff.

I actually do think its possible they were gearing up to do something this year.  

But of course I do understand the frustration when we're into year 5 of the reunion and nothing has been released.

5 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

The irony of that is that Izzy wanted the money!  And openly admitted he wanted equal loot.  

And he deserved to be compensated. He was one of the main writers of the music that made them all famous. :shrugs:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

And he deserved to be compensated. He was one of the main writers of the music that made them all famous. :shrugs:

Though he's being payed for the royalties as usual. The commitment to play right and for a big tour is a different thing, and I truly understand the lack of confidence from Axl/Slash/Duff on him. 

I do think Izzy should come up to the stage at least for a couple of songs. But that would mean a not so fat paycheck.

I don't think many (if any) people on here hate Slash or Duff, but they've definitely brought some criticism on themselves.

Duff comes across as foolish when he tries to re-write certain aspects of the bands history, while also trying to maintain his 'Punk As Fuck' image (lol).

The biggest disappointment is that Slash just seems to be along for the ride, cashing paychecks while playing 30 year old hits. He didn't light a fire under Axl in the way that most fans were hoping he would. He basically just joined NuGNR, and it's yet another example of this bands wasted potential.

• Like 3

I think people gave too much credit for Matt Sorum's book, the guy is envious about all that and now has been badmouthing Duff and Slash, which is insane!

People think he's telling the truth, but compared to all the books writen by all GNR members, Sorum's book is the wrost, he comes out as ungratefull, douchy, egomaniac that wanted power and fame, childish, immature.

Yeah, he can play "better" than Steven, Frank, Brain, but he lacks charisma. He forces it too much. All macho and stuff, but sounds fake.

I'm team Steven as one of the best, most gracious, talented, charismatic, groovy hard rock drummers out there.

IMO if there wasn't for the drugs, Steven could achieve maybe Slash's status as one of the best of the best out there.

• Like 3

It just being an addition to nu-gnr is bullshit. If you go back to 91 onwards it was 3 of what is now considered the classic line up. It is yet again 3 of what was the classic line up. 

The band regardless of the line up have never been that productive over time in terms of output. Even if you go back to the start they kept songs for later releases. It took 5 years between AFD - Illusions. Lies was makeshift at best. Illusions featured stuff written before AFD. 

We can moan and hate all we like, but all I care about is that the 3 that ran it at its peak are together again and touring as successfully as they can. If we get new music, great. If not, fuck it, I'm seeing them when I can. 

I think hatred towards any member past or present is stupid, as they keep it all going. 

• Like 4

Also, and just to make a point here, Izzy would never ever ever agree to do a 4 year NITL tour.

He doesn't want to commit, he was never in GNR to just cash a check anyway, he actually though it would never work and that they would kill each other before the 10th show and know he may painfully regret it. But that ship has sailed.

Remember, Izzy wanted to play at max Arenas and with the audience as the size of Ramones' concerts.

I think the tour is too long, the setlist is pretty much the same, but then again this has been GNR since 2001. A copy of a copy of a copy.

That's way they feel Slash's heart is not there anymore, imagine doing the exactly same thing everyday for four years! Wouldn't you get bored! But imagine doing that for at least 5 figures each night? I'd just do it.

Edited by Legendador