When did the Slash + Duff hate start?

2 hours ago, DTV88 said:

And he deserved to be compensated. He was one of the main writers of the music that made them all famous. :shrugs:

I think it was just a safe excuse! he was never on GNR for the money! He thought the reunion would never work, he thought Axl woulb hell before the 10th show and surprise! The "equal loot" was just a saving face excuse. If not, why did he rehearsed for the Nashville concert, to play together with Adler and bailed out at the last minute? He just doesn't want to commit.

Also, he sold his share to the big 3, so why should he derserved to be compensated, for something that he already sold before?

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

The irony of that is that Izzy wanted the money!  And openly admitted he wanted equal loot.  

I am not knocking you.                                                       I never understood that irony. Izzy,Matty,Steve, TheB3, like us,  all like money and have to pay the light bill .So Izzy should have taken the deal that was offered by the Almighty 3, degrade himself, and be ,not broke, but essentially, being playing on a 3 and a half years world tour earning nothing because what he would have earned would have gone to IRS, lol.  I read in MickWalls book, Izzy, rumor is they could have paid him $50,000 a show or was it a week. I like to think after projected estimates of profits and debts, there was no way to pay him what he wanted, deserved actually. I personally don't have "hate" for The B3, negativness of NITL tour, and  actually admire them. Money. Yeah. It is not a bad word. NITL, as some posted is really UYIs tour. People bought what they were selling like $568 million, lol,or so. Same of the silly merchandise.                                                                                                                  I think TheB3 missed a big money maker on NITL tour. Sold out shows, special shows , but bigger setlists.Some VR songs, hidden gems GnR songs, plus all the hits. Big expensive , flat ,one price tickets. Standing floor tickets only. Yep. Good ,safe pr for fans in bring in Steve, Matt, Izzy. No Frank and the rest. No Dizzy either. No issues with insurance because Steve could have been insured for health and Izzy for not disappearing.                                                                                                     American tour leg. 2 months. House of Blues GnR Reunion Tour.. Throw in a dvd from it. Throw in even a pay for view for one of them.     

Edited by Amaya

2 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Who gives a fuck, this band blows.

It is a nostalgic  act. Just being honest.Lets be honest.I saw one show and that was, is good enough. Austin. For me personally,  It was entertainment, a good night out of the house, reminiscing  , lol. 

• Like 1

Its not hate i think. I see a lot of frustration about how things are made in terms of management, new music (i dont really wanted now, some of u do) or how the band conect (Axl mainly doesnt exists) or comunicate with his fans.

For me now is keeping listening the best of GnR (1987 to 1993) everyday.... hoping in some time the motherfuckers make a good material of that. 

This cash grab (term i learned here) is they pension check and they deserved for all they made in HIS PAST!! They were robbed by record labels in this prime time of their lives.

And.... internet is full of "special" beings who covered by "freedom of expresion" make the hate part of the normality. And the forum allows it, since ever. 

@Legendador.    I agree with your post except this one that many of us here  repeat of Izzy not in it for money or to be big. The rumors of Izzy never caring about, wanting to be in  with VR traveling in a van, playing clubs in Guns, never wanting for Guns to get  big so big, etc is simply not true. Izzy is loving and living life to the fullest as a  58 yr.  old man ,a multimillionarie over the 30 years  like the rest of them, EVEN Steven, and Izzy, like all of them can account for every milion down to the penny. :P. In the 1980s, Izzy like all of them, destitute.  From living in sqaulor,literally  shyting in a box, sleeping in TowerRecords parking lot, hungry, drug selling Izzy, Hel1 House shed,  then even during  and AFTER  AFD to now, ,.. the best medical care, best food, best of everything etc. Izzy in Ojai, CA. Axl in just Malibu. Slash lived in ehhhh, Beverly Hills predivorce. Even Steven lives someplace secure, untouchable ,lol.  I admire that even when AFD hit and they had issues, all 5 of them, they lucked out with good people around their finances. They lucked out in that they had time and the inclination to try to start figuring out, you are not destitute anymore. As they each cleaned up and matured and 1990s rolled, the 5 figured it out. To their credit, none of them, even Steven, got broke, filing lawsuits of mismanagement, etc. Damm, even Billy Joel lost tens of millions in bad business accounting swindled , but Guns  can count every million down to the dollar. WTF happened? 1990, never would thought who would lose money? Guns guys or BillyJoel. 

When Niven was still the manager Slash confided in him that he only put up with Axls shit (at the time) for the check. And Duff was never punk.

I think people are just upset, ultimately, that NITL bs has made it impossible for fans to continue to use their illusions about who these people have always been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legendador said:

Yeah, he can play "better" than Steven, Frank, Brain, but he lacks charisma. He forces it too much. All macho and stuff, but sounds fake.

Is Matt really superior in skill/ability to Brain? I assumed Brain and Josh were the best (technically) in GN'R, much like Bumblefoot and Buckethead (my fav) are widely regarded as the best guitar players from a technical ability standpoint.

The best drummer I have heard live was Neil Peart of Rush. 

1 hour ago, ckgent said:

It just being an addition to nu-gnr is bullshit. If you go back to 91 onwards it was 3 of what is now considered the classic line up. It is yet again 3 of what was the classic line up. 

The band regardless of the line up have never been that productive over time in terms of output. Even if you go back to the start they kept songs for later releases. It took 5 years between AFD - Illusions. Lies was makeshift at best. Illusions featured stuff written before AFD. 

We can moan and hate all we like, but all I care about is that the 3 that ran it at its peak are together again and touring as successfully as they can. If we get new music, great. If not, fuck it, I'm seeing them when I can. 

I think hatred towards any member past or present is stupid, as they keep it all going. 

Seems silly given the members themselves have all moved on and it's all water under the bridge for each of them as individuals. 

Even past members no longer involved have moved on and seem content in life.. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JY2016 said:

Reading this thread gives me the feeling that I am in the minority, but I still think it’s awesome that they are back in GNR. Before the reunion, I always said to friends that I have seen every band that I wanted to see in my life multiple times except GNR with Slash and Duff, but that that would never happen. How grateful I was when the reunion was announced. As they did not go to Europe in 2016, I crossed the Atlantic to see two shows in Chicago that year. Every time they go to Europe I try to see as many shows as possible and I enjoy it every time as much is I can. The NuGNR era does not do anything for me, although I visited three shows back then (more like a “it’s better than nothing”). CD does not do much for me, as Slash and Duff are not on the record. I like hearing them playing some of these tunes live though (CD, Better).

I enjoy it while I can and while they are around. It’s the soundtrack of my life. The glass is half full!

Ur not in a minority :)

The band reformed and they have every right to tour and bleed the tour dry for money, because that is what it's about. Once it dries up, you move on. For every person that posts here, there's a bunch of people that don't post and don't care and buy tickets, and that is what it's about

I get the forum views, forever will, because a lot of us have been here forever, but it is what it is. 

• Like 2

I disliked slash during the nugnr years, purely because he blamed Axl for everything. Then refused to discuss it.

Yet I continued to get every album he put out. I was conflicted when Slash and Duff rejoined. I liked nugnr a hell of a lot. Was sad to see Stinson be cast aside, it's a shame BBF, BH, Finck all gave up on the band. 

I'm personally glad to still have Fortus still in the band. 

I've had so many discussions with random people who feel the need to tell me they hate axl and try to tell me the bands history. Especially when I wear tshirts with nugnr artwork on them. 

43 minutes ago, loke212 said:

You mean that story where Slash explained to Niven how poor his father is ("doesn't have a pot to piss in" or something) and how he was gonna do whatever was necessary to keep the money train going? Or is there yet another one?

But yeah, Slash has always been... highly motivated by money, let's put it that way. Most likely because the financial struggles (and the resulting tensions) in the family he grew up in left a lasting impression on him.

And I agree, some people seemed to have very idealized ideas of these people. Despite the fact that most of the stuff that's "come to light now" has been know or obvious since forever, if you cared to pay attention.

Thats the story. I used "doesnt have a pot t piss in" for a brief google search actually, lol, that I would have included link. 

Slash also came of age at a time when the idea of the accumulation of wealth had been given a fancy new sheen via Raegan and Thatcher. Im sure his childhood experiences and observations on the industry left the biggest mark though, I agree.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mysteron said:

Ur not in a minority :)

The band reformed and they have every right to tour and bleed the tour dry for money, because that is what it's about. Once it dries up, you move on. For every person that posts here, there's a bunch of people that don't post and don't care and buy tickets, and that is what it's about

I get the forum views, forever will, because a lot of us have been here forever, but it is what it is. 

Well  said. May I add, you buy a ticket and go or not. Your choice. Majority of ticket audiences dont know, dont care about deep cuts of GnR catalog.With your ticket  purchase, you got your moneys worth which was a good, live performance of the hits for  2.5 hours plus opening act. 

People don’t have lives and spend too much time reading rumours and bullshit. That’s all. Slash and Duff are back in a band they started and playing music they wrote, how hard is it to understand why they wouldn’t want to do that? 

The Izzy thing bummed me out but as others have said no way would he have hung around anyway. He pulled out of the New York Dolls gig when he found out they wanted to tour and not just do a few reunion shows.

42 minutes ago, Drexl said:

Besides all this crazy good music, I've always loved those 4 guys' personalities. Flawed, but so passionate, so free, and also intelligent. Even when I read an intreview with Slash and Duff shortly after the St. Louis riot, when we all know they were wasted all the time, it struck me how wise and rational their words were. Anyway, a musician's personality is always noticeable in his music. If Slash had a different personality, he would be a totally different guitarist. His "I don't give a fuck" attitute and his undeniable sensitivity makes his guitar-playing so soulful and effortless. And I could go on with Axl's, Duff's and Izzy's personalities, but I think it's pointless to write an essay on here, because those who want to know and understand them will do it. Those who hate, will always hate. It must be so fucking great being so judgemental.

Yeah, the guys in GNR always struck me as a bit more intelligent than most of their colleagues in other bands (especially back then in the rock and metal scene) as well :lol: Might even be a main factor in what helped them make it as big and great as they got. Too bad it didn't prevent the clusterfuck of the last decades though :facepalm:

And I agree about their personalities, people here seem to have really one-sided, black and white views of these guys. There are a lot of accusations floating around and I don't even necessarily disagree with all of these (I've thought or called them some of these things myself), but for every...

- two-faced, liar, backstabbing, snake-in-the-grass, fake, money-hungry, greedy, passive, cowardly, soulless, noodler

- spineless, manipulative, passive, fake woke, greedy, most useless member of the band

- control freak, lazy, greedy, fat, fake woke, crazy, reclusive, whiny, can't sing/write songs anymore

- unreliable, flakey, greedy, can't play guitar/write songs anymore

... I see, I can think of at least as many (or rather more) good things that I like about all of them. Which is why I could never really hate any of them (at least if we're talking about AFD era guys). Frankly, if I thought all of them were irredeemably awful, I would have stopped caring about this band long ago and never looked back.

• Like 3

I read a bunch of posts here, but not all. From the start of this reunion I never thought it was about the music or repairing a very fractured relationship. It was always more about the money, and I was ok with that.  I’ve always wanted to see Axl and Slash onstage together, and I got that chance multiple times.  That’s a win for me, even though the lack of diverse setlists surely pissed me off. I had tickets to see them July 18 at MetLife. I was looking forward to it, but not counting the day’s like in 2016.  I’m thankful that I can afford to go to these shows and get tickets wherever I want. I know some don’t have that luxury and have to weigh whether or not it’s worth dropping a lot of money to hear the same fucking setlist AGAIN. 

So I’ll keep attending these shows Even though my wife rolls her eyes at how much tickets cost.  She knows how much I love the band and she knows this is basically my only vice along with whiskey/scotch and steak.  This won’t last forever and as much as I really really REALLY want new music and/or a changed setlist I’ll take what I can get.... which is exactly what team GNR is counting on anyways :shrugs:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thunderram said:

Welcome to the myGNR forums, my friend!

I know, it's easy to assume that most members would actually really love the band, and the individual members of the band, that this website is dedicated to. But, alas, it rarely goes that way.

Unfortunately this place is divided into a myriad of factions:

• Those that love the band and ALL variations of it.
  • Those that only love the original AFD 5 lineup
  • Those that only love the original AFD 5 lineup + Gilby + Matt +Dizzy + Teddy + Tracy + Roberta
  • Those that only love the first Chinese Democracy lineup
  • Those that only love the first Chinese Democracy lineup + all those that rotated through pre-reunion
  • Those that only love the first Chinese Democracy lineup + all those that rotated through pre-reunion + the current lineup
  • Those who mostly, or only, love AXL
  • Those who mostly, or only, love SLASH
  • Those who mostly, or only, love IZZY
  • Those who mostly, or only, love DUFF
  • Those who mostly, or only, love STEVEN
  • Those who mostly, or only, love the various members of AXL's CD project
  • Those who mostly HATE the band but only come here because they've made friends.
  • Those who wholeheartedly HATE the band but only come here because they've made friends.

I'm sure there are more.

Sometimes I really wish these forums were divided into pre-1996ish GN'R and after sub-forums. It might make things a bit easier. But I digress.

Anyway, better get used to the vitriol. Roughly 80% of the threads and comments contained within tend to be of the complaining type.

Such as:

• <insert name here> isn't in the current band, but should be.
  • I want new music!
  • The entire band plays <insert song title here> wrong.
  • <insert name here> plays <insert song title here> wrong.
  • The setlist should include <insert song title here>.
  • The setlist should NOT include <insert song title here>.
  • <insert name here> is a better <insert band position name here> than <insert name here>.
  • Stop touring!!!
  • I HATE team brasil !!!
  • GN'R merchandise sucks and is overpriced.
  • Where's my new music???
  • Stop removing YouTube content !!!
  • Release ALL archived content.

I'm sure there are more.

Anyway, have fun and try not to get dis-spirited!

Hilarious!

Well, for Duff, people started resenting his woke commentary and trying to minimize the dubious aspects of the band’s past. Rather than just stating, “It was a different time and I don’t condone it today.”

The “hate” overall for this band is that it’s become a nostalgia act. There’s great shows and endless tours. Never new music though. And after four years, continued silence. I’m all for mystery. But I think I’ve seen this movie too. It’s old now. People are disappointed that Slash and Duff just fell in line with the silence and pretend they like to keep GNR mysterious. But they talk endlessly about their own solo projects so obviously the silence is due to one person, and one person only. And that’s AXL. I have a hard time thinking Duff and Slash are happy not recording and releasing dick all. 

I get it. At first they signed on for a few shows. Coachella. Mexico. They wanted to take a see-how-it-goes approach. They enjoyed themselves. It was functional. So they added tours. Cool. Makes sense. But I assumed by 2018 there’d be new music. Then they started hitting the same towns again. And now finally, supposedly, they were all ready to tour new music if not for covid. Yeah, fuckin’ right.

Release some motherfucking new music. Take a fucking band photo. Or don’t, I guess. It just sucks my favorite band ever is content to live off their past.

Edited by GnR Chris

4TUS has repeatedly said that Axl has never been for the money and if he was Slash and Duff  would have been back along time ago and I belive him

It's amazing people think they know what goes inside peoples heads. Axl is not "greedy" and he saved AC/DC's ass and that permanently changed my mind. That motherfucker  took a huge gamble and it could have been a disaster but what he did was legendary and I am forever grateful.

Izzy, Matt and Adler are way over their heads. Adler is a disaster  waiting to happen, Izzy is to unreliable  and Matts a douche. Their spots have been taken for almost 2 decades and Axl wasn't going to cast aside 4tus et all for those three.

That would be purely for the money and nostalgia.

A UYI and AFD5 reunion is what I consider a money grabbing nostalgia act.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1