When did the Slash + Duff hate start?

On 6/14/2020 at 1:43 PM, Alejandro GNR said:

Just listen the Rock in Rio proshot...I think that except NR, SCOM and Whichita, he fucks up all the other songs...extremely sloppy and noodling

I have to agree with the previous poster. I attended the MSG show with Pink back in 2017. The band sounded great. Not sure why you stated that Slash fucks up all the songs. 

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Hell, the shows I caught in 2016 Slash was far and away the shining star of the band.  His playing and stage presence was the MVP of this reunion as far as I am concerned!  I can forgive occasional shredding on songs for the overall awesomeness his guitar playing and presence brought back to the band

Maybe I wasnt clear about my feelings...

I think what happens live with Slash is similar to Axls case...its REALLY great and enjoyable live but when you see it filmed it somehow sounds very sloppy and rushed in Slashs case and weak in Axls case...

i think the frustration is , with what the band have delivered to what the band could deliver.

The touring should have stopped in late 2017 with the Ingelwood concert being the last one under NITL.

I understand why the band kept touring because they are making more  money now than during the illusions tour, sober and in a better headspace to enjoy a big tour like this. I guess they feel like they want to make up for all the money they lost during their younger years on the illusions tour. 

EP released and new tour to start beginning 2018. Slash has said he wants GNR to do the record,tour,record,tour cycle like normal bands. I thought that we would have some sort of GNR 'product' by now be it a ep, NITL dvd and new album.

It does look like theres no chemistry between axl and slash onstage and Slash looks like hes just going through the motions which makes me wonder, if the band regret not ending the tour sooner if money wasn't the deciding factor.

Add to this, no interviews by the band, even ones they could arrange with their own pick as to the interviewer would be. Hell even if fans submit questions and the band answer as part of the interview.

It just feels like NUguns with duff and slash. Makes you wonder why Slash left the band in the first place.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

It's just exhausting. I don't hate either one but I am very bored by the whole thing, I saw the tour on the first leg and it was fine but I'd surely not pay to see the same show again. The very popular opinion that Slash would've totally elevated the Chinese Democracy songs if he had played on them...not quite. If they were complete reimaginings and now came off like he wrote them in the first place? It'd be a fun experience to see live, as someone who religiously listened to the leaks and live bootlegs during the whole saga, but he hasn't done that, they're just his slightly modified versions of the songs. The rest of it? Snore. I am truly perplexed by why they were trying another stadium tour this summer without releasing any new muisc, and the real shame of it being cancelled is that they'll probably chalk the poor sales up to coronavirus even though that had nothing to do with it and try it again next summer.

• Like 1

Slash is creating from his heart but if you do not match it with true lyrics than he will produce mediocre song. With Myles they had few hits (Back to Kali, Anastasia, Starlight), but generally lack of genuine texts and Myles same voice tune do not connect. No chemistry.  VR were real deal but it was to little and to late and maybe some internal stuff. So now back to GnR, you can play our songs, you can even have 15 min solos on tour but no new music. Why? It is not up to Slash I think. He is capable to create new music regardless of quality but Axl is this perfectionist who is pulling all the strings. So he kind of just goes with the flow.

And Duff well you can't always be high and drunk punk. He is now supporting his wife, daughter, he sets his priority different and becomes more media exposed. He likes to create so that is why he had his own band and doesn't are about creating new music with GnR. Probably is in if it happens happens mode. And yes I think they will tour more to restore lost money.   

On 12.6.2020 at 8:55 AM, jacdaniel said:

Is it just me that is noticing a large amount of Slash and Duff hate spilling out into almost every topic on this forum?  Rewind back to 2016 for a minute.  Slash and Duff returning allowed Guns N Roses to return to stadiums.  Lots of people were saying that Slash was a beast and the star of the show.  Axl was doing a fairly top notch job as well back then.  

As Axl started to struggle vocally, Slash stepped up even more and carried the shows at times.

It didn't take long for the forum to turn though did it?  Now apparently he is just there to collect a pay check, has no passion, just noodles.  Lots of negative comments on his guitar playing.

Duff probably gets it even worse.  There is often a real hatred towards him on here for no real reason at all as far as I can tell.  People mocking him over the punk thing and so on

Not from me. Some take it too far.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:48 AM, Drexl said:

All I have to say is that this hatred is disgusting. How fucking mental one must be to hate arguably the most important member of his favorite band? When I was younger, I was on Slash's side in the GNR civil war, but not even for a single moment did I hate Axl. Besides all this crazy good music, I've always loved those 4 guys' personalities. Flawed, but so passionate, so free, and also intelligent. Even when I read an intreview with Slash and Duff shortly after the St. Louis riot, when we all know they were wasted all the time, it struck me how wise and rational their words were. Anyway, a musician's personality is always noticeable in his music. If Slash had a different personality, he would be a totally different guitarist. His "I don't give a fuck" attitute and his undeniable sensitivity makes his guitar-playing so soulful and effortless. And I could go on with Axl's, Duff's and Izzy's personalities, but I think it's pointless to write an essay on here, because those who want to know and understand them will do it. Those who hate, will always hate. It must be so fucking great being so judgemental.

Amen! Well said!

Also,

Plea to the MODS: For the love of all that's good and holy, please, BAN the cringeworthy term 'noodling' from this forum. Word filter it or something.

Not only is it overused ad nauseam, 90% of those that use it do so incorrectly. Even many of those that have picked up and played a guitar and have an understanding of music frequently misapply it to playing they don't like. LAME.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kranich said:

Lack of chemistry onstage is the biggest fuckin joke i have seen here in a long time. There are interactions and they look like they're havin fun. 

Yeah, I haven't really watched videos or live streams from the more recent shows, but from what I remember from 2016/2017, they seemed to be enjoying themselves and interacted/joked around quite a bit.

On 12/06/2020 at 7:55 AM, jacdaniel said:

Is it just me that is noticing a large amount of Slash and Duff hate spilling out into almost every topic on this forum?  Rewind back to 2016 for a minute.  Slash and Duff returning allowed Guns N Roses to return to stadiums.  Lots of people were saying that Slash was a beast and the star of the show.  Axl was doing a fairly top notch job as well back then.  

As Axl started to struggle vocally, Slash stepped up even more and carried the shows at times.

It didn't take long for the forum to turn though did it?  Now apparently he is just there to collect a pay check, has no passion, just noodles.  Lots of negative comments on his guitar playing.

Duff probably gets it even worse.  There is often a real hatred towards him on here for no real reason at all as far as I can tell.  People mocking him over the punk thing and so on.

I'll be the first to admit that Slash's style is a little different these days.  He obviously plays a bit faster at times.  I think its blown completely out of proportion on here though.  Almost every solo sticks close to the original structure.  (Apart from maybe TIL) 

Is it just me that is noticing this?

When and why do you think this started?  

I have noticed a shift. I guess it's all down to them tearing the arse off it with touring and offering nothing dramatic in the form of change.

Duff gets a rough go of it, and I honestly don't get the hostility. I like the guy, great player and always positive... and when it's up to him he's out playing and recording with everybody.

End of the day though, Axl is in charge. They have a louder voice than the old guys, but they are still not equal members. 

As for Slash... al he does is noodle, is 1000% accurate. He used to be a tasteful player but somewhere after his first solo album he just lost the run of himself, and has jumped into these long meandering solos... I'm a guitar and Slash nut! but I can't say I enjoy it. If I see a long 10 minute solo, I want to hear something outside the box and for me Slash is improvisational but he's not really finding those magic moments where he plays a melody and you remember it. Don't get me wrong I love when Slash takes off! but for me after minute 2, I've heard enough.

Obviously on top of that, there was a lot of hate for Slash from some of the more hardened Axl / CD fans... so maybe that's resurfacing?

I love Slash and Duff, it's great they are back! I do hate how they play the CD material, but besides that it's a good thing for GNR and the fanbase.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kranich said:

Lack of chemistry onstage is the biggest fuckin joke i have seen here in The a long time. There are interactions and they look like they're havin fun. 

There chemistry topic seems to be splitting into two categories.. I wouldn't even categorize whatever interaction between Slash and Axl on stage as chemistry. They seem to be up there having fun or whatever.. When I bring up chemistry it is in reference to the musicians playing instruments in the band and how well they play together. That is real.. The pace of the songs, Franks drumming style, the inorganic nature of whatever Melissa does and how it fits into hard rock, how well Slash and Fortus styles  mesh (or don't mesh) together, the greatly exaggerated but still present drop off in Slash's playing with this lineup compared to any other band he is in. I just don't think it all 100% clicks and you can often hear it on the performances. Taking vocals out of the mix, Slash's solo band sounds and feels more like Guns N' Roses than this lineup does (when playing Guns songs)

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

There chemistry topic seems to be splitting into two categories.. I wouldn't even categorize whatever interaction between Slash and Axl on stage as chemistry. They seem to be up there having fun or whatever.. When I bring up chemistry it is in reference to the musicians playing instruments in the band and how well they play together. That is real.. The pace of the songs, Franks drumming style, the inorganic nature of whatever Melissa does and how it fits into hard rock, how well Slash and Fortus styles  mesh (or don't mesh) together, the greatly exaggerated but still present drop off in Slash's playing with this lineup compared to any other band he is in. I just don't think it all 100% clicks and you can often hear it on the performances. Taking vocals out of the mix, Slash's solo band sounds and feels more like Guns N' Roses than this lineup does.

Except for the last sentence, I agree. It's not one single thing like Frank's drumming. The band chemistry is not really there. Doesn't really matter at this point though since everything about GnR is shitty and depressing these days. :D

• Like 1

After all the years, all the dark periods, all the "last chances" that came and went without a reunion, it's actually kind of stunning how fast people went from exited that the impossible happened and Slash/Duff rejoined GNR to complaining about the set-list and demanding they bring back Izzy and Adler regardless of any reason that might not be practical. 

Also, people seemed to believe that Slash and Duff would force Axl to do things he didn't want to do and "call it like it is" in public if he didn't and now they're just sell out employees because they act like mature professionals. 

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

There chemistry topic seems to be splitting into two categories.. I wouldn't even categorize whatever interaction between Slash and Axl on stage as chemistry. They seem to be up there having fun or whatever.. When I bring up chemistry it is in reference to the musicians playing instruments in the band and how well they play together. That is real.. The pace of the songs, Franks drumming style, the inorganic nature of whatever Melissa does and how it fits into hard rock, how well Slash and Fortus styles  mesh (or don't mesh) together, the greatly exaggerated but still present drop off in Slash's playing with this lineup compared to any other band he is in. I just don't think it all 100% clicks and you can often hear it on the performances. Taking vocals out of the mix, Slash's solo band sounds and feels more like Guns N' Roses than this lineup does.

I agree, SMKC sounds more GNR than GNR circa 2016-2020 do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just to clarify, I was just referring to their performances of Guns N' Roses songs live.. Not their original material

I think that argument could  be used for each of the line ups, including the is and 90s they have all butchered songs here or there or just didn't gel together 100% at times. I will admit, that this particular group has had more of that than the others but still they are on food standing. 

I think we would all love if they played it closer to the record on certain songs, RQ I'm looking at you😄

My show in Wellington , New Zealand February 2017 I was fully expecting Slash to be MVP.

I was pretty disappointed to be honest - the show was fantastic don't get me wrong, but it was Axl and Duff of the big 3 who really brought it as far as I'm concerned. Fortus was also fantastic.

It was bucketing with rain and the stage was slippery i'm guessing and subsequently he remained pretty rooted to the spot but soloing at times was sloppy and meandering. One could draw the conclusion that he phoned it in. Don't get me wrong - it was Slash, he looked cool and it was cool. But the Slash i'd grown up listening to and the performance level I was expecting from the Illusions tour it was far short of.

Edited by jimmythegent

12 hours ago, thunderram said:

Amen! Well said!

Also,

Plea to the MODS: For the love of all that's good and holy, please, BAN the cringeworthy term 'noodling' from this forum. Word filter it or something.

Not only is it overused ad nauseam, 90% of those that use it do so incorrectly. Even many of those that have picked up and played a guitar and have an understanding of music frequently misapply it to playing they don't like. LAME.

Yup, give it the ole no Stairway To Heaven guitar store treatment.