When did the Slash + Duff hate start?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of fans where hoping that Slash and Duff would bring changes to the way GnR operates. As time went by we all had to realise that they just replaced their replacements.  It seems like they d

Reading this thread gives me the feeling that I am in the minority, but I still think it’s awesome that they are back in GNR. Before the reunion, I always said to friends that I have seen every band t

I think the bigger problem is and lately has turned into: “whats the point anymore?”  you mention 2016 compared to now. In 2016, we never would have thought this would have happened the way it di

Personally I didn't want Duff and Slash back in the band. For two reasons: I believed it would be a pure nostalgia trip and not result in new music being released (and I am all about new music and naught about nostalgia), and because it felt a bit sad to see Tommy and Bumblefoot/Dj go after they had been professional over time and invested much into the band with so little original GN'R music to their names as the result. Of course it might turn out I am wrong on the first one and that the previous lineup would never have resulted in new music anyway.

As far as the shows have gone, I think it has been pretty good. Slash and Duff have approached the new music professionally and the setlists have been great I don't get much of a kick from hearing Guns N' Roses live any more, but I haven't really in many years anyway. Slash and Duff on board hasn't really changed all that. I never expected Slash and Duff to pull their weight and make changes to how the band is run. To me it seems like they have truly accepted this is Axl's band and are in it for the money. But that hasn't really lowered my perceptions on them, it is okay to do things for money especially when a side-effect is that thousands of fans get what they want: Seeing Slash and Axl on stage again. So I am fine with that. 

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Personally I didn't want Duff and Slash back in the band. For two reasons: I believed it would be a pure nostalgia trip and not result in new music being released (and I am all about new music and naught about nostalgia), and because it felt a bit sad to see Tommy and Bumblefoot/Dj go after they had been professional over time and invested much into the band with so little original GN'R music to their names as the result. Of course it might turn out I am wrong on the first one and that the previous lineup would never have resulted in new music anyway.

As far as the shows have gone, I think it has been pretty good. Slash and Duff have approached the new music professionally and the setlists have been great I don't get much of a kick from hearing Guns N' Roses live any more, but I haven't really in many years anyway. Slash and Duff on board hasn't really changed all that. I never expected Slash and Duff to pull their weight and make changes to how the band is run. To me it seems like they have truly accepted this is Axl's band and are in it for the money. But that hasn't really lowered my perceptions on them, it is okay to do things for money especially when a side-effect is that thousands of fans get what they want: Seeing Slash and Axl on stage again. So I am fine with that. 

I really dont get the love for ashba.

The ashba lineup was truely the low point. So low the name Guns N Roses had zero worth. Even the flying piano in vegas couldnt shine any gold on the band name.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really dont get the love for ashba.

The ashba lineup was truely the low point. So low the name Guns N Roses had zero worth. Even the flying piano in vegas couldnt shine any gold on the band name.

I don't have any love for Dj. I just feel some pity for previous lineups that did their job professionally and wanted to help release new GN'R music but were thrown away when the "reunion" took place. I think this is especially poignant for Stinson who helped create so much music which is now sitting in the vault and might face having his parts replaced with Duff's if the band releases new music. I feel they deserve more for their long commitment. I wish Axl had released the leftover from the CD sessions, and new music with Bumblefoot and Dj, before the nostalgia trip happened. And if Axl wanted to release more music then with Slash and Duff, go for it, but let that be new music written by them. Seems like these guys who helped keep the band alive and, like us, bought the idea of a revamped Guns N' Roses with multiple albums, have been sacrificed on the altar of quick cash and nostalgia.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't have any love for Dj. I just feel some pity for previous lineups that did their job professionally and wanted to help release new GN'R music but were thrown away when the "reunion" took place. I think this is especially poignant for Stinson who helped create so much music which is now sitting in the vault and might face having his parts replaced with Duff's if the band releases new music. I feel they deserve more for their long commitment. I wish Axl had released the leftover from the CD sessions, and new music with Bumblefoot and Dj, before the nostalgia trip happened. And if Axl wanted to release more music then with Slash and Duff, go for it, but let that be new music written by them. Seems like these guys who helped keep the band alive and, like us, bought the idea of a revamped Guns N' Roses with multiple albums, have been sacrificed on the altar of quick cash and nostalgia.

Fair comments Soul.

Personally, if axl had no intention of releasing any new music with BH i couldnt imagine ashba thinking axl would release new music with him in it. If any of the band read any of the axl forum chats where axl said "dont know dont care" to a CD followup whoever is in the band takes a chance of either having integrity and going, staying until they had a better offer elsewhere, or stay for a constant paycheck considering axls focus was on touring. They take their chances. BH leaving was the beginning of the end of nuguns and any hope for new music. Fortus mentioning about new music in interviews from 2010 onwards was laughable.

CD had its detractors with music reviewers but i thought it would with BH onboard, fire up axl to release something great and it was his chance and rather than rising to the occasion he walked away. The failure of nuguns is purely on axl.

I always hoped axl and slash would reunite but i always hoped it would be for the right reasons rather than for the money. In 2016/17 i felt the reunion was for the right reasons but as the band kept touring into 2018 and 2019 it was obvious money was the motivator, and there didnt seem to be any "plan" with what they were doing...just kept touring for the dollars.

Most big bands like metallica, maiden have a 3 to 5 year plan in advance. GNR dont seem to. Hell GNR were wanting to do a full NA stadium tour this year potentially without new music. We dont know whether the tour was around a new album or maybe another "new" song. Like SOYL another song which is over 20 years old!

I completely agree with you where in my opinion all unheard CD material should be released as a boxset with credits to previous members and any "new" music with slash and duff completely written from scratch or use the 94 to 96 material only. 

Edited by Sydney Fan