Need your help!

So I just did some math that I wanted to share here:

Both Slash and Matt say in their books that 36 songs were recorded for UYI. Out of the 30 that made it onto the final albums, this does NOT include Civil War (cause that was recorded before for Nobody’s Child), KOHD (cause that was recorded before for Days of Thunder), Don’t Cry Alt (cause that’s just the same music as the original version), or My World (cause Axl did that one all on his own without the rest of the band even knowing about it).

So that leaves us with 26 songs. So what were the other 10? Well, we know Ain’t Goin Down and six songs from TSI were all recorded here too (with Gilby later replacing all of Izzy’s parts). So that brings our total up to 33... So that means there are 3 other songs from the UYI sessions that we don’t know about.

Any guesses as to what those 3 are? Hopefully they all show up on the boxset!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Both Slash and Matt say in their books that 36 songs were recorded for UYI. Out of the 30 that made it onto the final albums, this does NOT include Civil War (cause that was recorded before for Nobody’s Child), KOHD (cause that was recorded before for Days of Thunder), Don’t Cry Alt (cause that’s just the same music as the original version), or My World (cause Axl did that one all on his own without the rest of the band even knowing about it).

So that leaves us with 26 songs. So what were the other 10? Well, we know Ain’t Goin Down and six songs from TSI were all recorded here too (with Gilby later replacing all of Izzy’s parts). So that brings our total up to 33... So that means there are 3 other songs from the UYI sessions that we don’t know about.

This I Love could have been among those songs and "Part III" of the "trilogy". Perhaps even early versions of The Blues and There Was A Time, these are the songs from CD that sound most like UYI era GNR to me.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Off the top of my head, the only titles I can think of are "Nightrcrawler" and "Too Fast To Live" (which might be fake?), and 2 covers that didn't make TSI.

Nightcrawler turned into Speed Parade (from Snakepit) according to Marc Canter. Never heard of Too Fast To Live.

if the band did include Nightcrawler on this, would they call it that? Or would they just call it Speed Parade (Instrumental) or something?

On that note: I totally forgot that GnR also did instrumentals for a couple of other Snakepit songs (Back & Forth Again and Be The Ball) during this time period as well. So I guess those must be the missing 3 tracks: Speed Parade (aka Nightcrawler), Back & Forth Again, and Be The Ball... All of which were instrumentals at this time... Dammit! Oh well. At least the GnR version of Back & Forth seems to have Axl whistling in it (if the leaked clip of it we have is anything to go by lol).

Edited by rocknroll41

21 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Nightcrawler turned into Speed Parade (from Snakepit) according to Marc Canter. Never heard of Too Fast To Live.

if the band did include Nightcrawler on this, would they call it that? Or would they just call it Speed Parade (Instrumental) or something?

On that note: I totally forgot that GnR also did instrumentals for a couple of other Snakepit songs (Back & Forth Again and Be The Ball) during this time period as well. So I guess those must be the missing 3 tracks: Speed Parade (aka Nightcrawler), Back & Forth Again, and Be The Ball... All of which were instrumentals at this time... Dammit! Oh well. At least the GnR version of Back & Forth seems to have Axl whistling in it (if the leaked clip of it we have is anything to go by lol).

They could just call it Nighcrawler (Early Demo) or something like that, even if it's instrumental. Too Fast To Live was also instrumental, there was a version floating around years ago but it might've been fake, it's been years since I heard it. I'd be happy with some 'unheard' instrumentals from the '91 lineup.

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They could just call it Nighcrawler (Early Demo) or something like that, even if it's instrumental. Too Fast To Live was also instrumental, there was a version floating around years ago but it might've been fake, it's been years since I heard it. I'd be happy with some 'unheard' instrumentals from the '91 lineup.

I mean, it’s better than nothing, I guess!

Does anyone know what the working titles of Back & Forth and Be The Ball were?

EDIT: I was wrong. Dime Store Rock is the other Snakepit song that GnR did. it wasn’t Be The Ball. My bad!

Edited by rocknroll41

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I mean, it’s better than nothing, I guess!

Does anyone know what the working titles of Back & Forth and Be The Ball were?

EDIT: I was wrong. Dime Store Rock is the other Snakepit song that GnR did. it wasn’t Be The Ball. My bad!

I knew about Back & Forth but didn’t know about Dime Store Rock....that’s cool!

I would imagine they’d wanna include all the UYI music videos on this set.

Here’s the thing tho... Is that Bad Apples video from 2009 actually real? The one that used Don’t Cry footage?

i have a feeling that was just a fanmade video that somehow got accidentally added to the band’s vevo page, no?

9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday and another song. I'm guessing

25 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday and another song. I'm guessing

Those two along with Sentimental Movie, Bring It Back Home, and Too Much Too Soon, all come from the 1985 session that Axl, Duff, and Izzy did with West Arkeen and a drum machine. None of those songs were actually touched during the UYI recording sessions, as far as we know. Then again; The Garden, Bad Obsession, and Yesterdays all come from that same 1985 session too, so it’s possible the other five songs from that tape were recorded professionally for UYI. Would be cool if so!

If they (gnr) played more songs in the making of November Rain in that beautifull teather please add it!. That Dead Horse cut in the making fkn videos is wow!. 

Release 2 shows from 1992 and 1 of 1991.

I dont have the time to see what to choose.... just maybe;

- Colombia 1992

- ST Petersburg Florida 1991

- And some fury/high/angry Axl doing Perfect Crime talking some rants and all the shit.... something like Wembley 91 (last IZZY gig) maybe..... something raw.... 1991 rocks.

Edited by axlvai

One request from me is make the vinyls easier to get. Nobody plays CD's anymore. With the Appetite Box you could either buy a basic album vinyl, a basic album CD, a "basic" boxset which only contained CD's, or if you wanted all the additional vinyls you had to fork out a shit tonne of cash for a fucking huge box. Make the additional vinyls easier to access for those of us that either don't have space for a box or can't afford the big bucks - consider a vinyl boxset.

• Like 1

Already so much good input from everyone. 

I second a full 'Perfect Crime' UYI documentary with ideally studio footage.

UYI I & II remastered on 24k gold CD

Previously unheard tracks from the studio (re-mixed/mastered)

Blu-Ray/DVD of a show from each leg of the tour (ones we have never seen)

10 random boxes contain a hidden rarity. E.G. Axl's handwritten lyrics, Slash strings from the recordings, Cassette with unheard song only available in that box, DVD of a show only available to you etc

Lastly - I want a pair of Axl's trainers 🤟

On 2020-06-21 at 7:02 PM, rocknroll41 said:

I would imagine they’d wanna include all the UYI music videos on this set.

Here’s the thing tho... Is that Bad Apples video from 2009 actually real? The one that used Don’t Cry footage?

i have a feeling that was just a fanmade video that somehow got accidentally added to the band’s vevo page, no?

Pretty sure the Bad Apples video was included in Makin' Fuckin' Videos but I could be wrong about that.

I doubt they'd include the YCBM video, since it has Terminator footage. It's not on their youtube page, but Bad Apples is. :shrugs:

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Pretty sure the Bad Apples video was included in Makin' Fuckin' Videos but I could be wrong about that.

I doubt they'd include the YCBM video, since it has Terminator footage. It's not on their youtube page, but Bad Apples is. :shrugs:

Yeah the Makin Fuckin Videos documentaries each had an “alternate” music video hidden within:

Dont Cry Alternate Lyrics (using footage from Don’t Cry Original)

Locomotive (using footage from November Rain)

Double Talkin’ Jive (using footage from Estranged)

If memory serves, though, Bad Apples isn’t on any of those docs. Not sure how the hell it ended up on the band’s vevo page in 2009, or why, but whatever. Vevo launched in 2009... Maybe the video was made as some kinda promotion for vevo itself?

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah the Makin Fuckin Videos documentaries each had an “alternate” music video hidden within:

Dont Cry Alternate Lyrics (using footage from Don’t Cry Original)

Locomotive (using footage from November Rain)

Double Talkin’ Jive (using footage from Estranged)

If memory serves, though, Bad Apples isn’t on any of those docs. Not sure how the hell it ended up on the band’s vevo page in 2009, or why, but whatever. Vevo launched in 2009... Maybe the video was made as some kinda promotion for vevo itself?

Yea, it could've just been a promo video they uploaded for whatever reason... I guess they couldn't use Chinese Democracy videos to promote the 2009 tour :P

• Haha 1

As an aside, just wanna day I think it’s pretty cool of GNR to reach out asking for our input on this 👍

edit: just wish the band was more inclined in this way with unreleased Chinese era music 

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, it could've just been a promo video they uploaded for whatever reason... I guess they couldn't use Chinese Democracy videos to promote the 2009 tour :P

Vevo was more interested in a video for a UYI filler from 1991 than they were for a video of a ChiDem song I guess, lol!

8 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

As an aside, just wanna day I think it’s pretty cool of GNR to reach out asking for our input on this 👍

edit: just wish the band was more inclined in this way with unreleased Chinese era music 

From what I understand, it's not the band, it's the label reaching out (indirectly).

Any of the cutting room floor stuff from TSI would be cool for this set, too! Not sure if anyone mentioned it. 

(since a lot of them were destined for UYI originally; I doubt it'll ever get a second look on its own)

Also basically, more Izzy. Izzy TSI tracks? Bring up Izzy levels on every song.... yeah :D 

Do the 5.1 thing again -- that was brilliant. 

Some kind of dry mix, alt mix.... remix thing. Not just a more compressed remaster. Remaster them true to the original sound but then do a seperate disc without the sheen and all those effects... just bare-bones it. That will really open those albums up for a fresh look from more than just hardcore fans.

A lot of the original mastering / mixing choices really neutered the more rocking songs and the turning down of Izzy diminished the interplay that makes AFD so classic (even though it's there!). You can say it's a quintessential part of what the albums are / were... but they just sound dated to that early 90's era in a way that diminishes the work and it's a common refrain among critics and fans. 

Given what other Super Deluxe stuff for other big artists has been done in the last 5 years, it's gotta be possible. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ant said:

Any of the cutting room floor stuff from TSI would be cool for this set, too! Not sure if anyone mentioned it. 

(since a lot of them were destined for UYI originally)

Also basically, more Izzy. Izzy TSI tracks? Bring up Izzy levels on every song.... yeah :D 

"Izzy turned up not long after. He said hi to me and then played a couple of demos he’d brought with him—small cassette tapes of acoustic versions of “Dust N’ Bones” and “Bad Obsession,” among other things. They sounded really raw"

Stuff like that (from Matt's book) would be way more interesting than alternate mixes. I want as many of Izzy's "home demos" as possible. :drool:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

"Izzy turned up not long after. He said hi to me and then played a couple of demos he’d brought with him—small cassette tapes of acoustic versions of “Dust N’ Bones” and “Bad Obsession,” among other things. They sounded really raw"

Stuff like that (from Matt's book) would be way more interesting than alternate mixes. I want as many of Izzy's "home demos" as possible. :drool:

Why not both? I think if they could get a remix of the UYI albums to sound like TSI, it'd be fantastic. Pack it with demos and live stuff, and you're good!

• Like 2