Saturday - Slash: Meet the Man Behind the Les Paul

38 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I just hope izzy has some sort of lyrical input.

25 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm not sure Izzy is going to be involved.

I really don't get why people still think or hope that Izzy might be involved in something Guns related in the future? Izzy doesn't care about GnR anymore, and it's almost the same the other way round. There was not a single interaction recently, as far as we know, between one of the Big 3 and Izzy.

Edited by EricA
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Personally thats the conversation they should have had during 2017, if axl had some passion about GNR. Sounds like axl is shit scared about releasing new music, especially 4 years since NITL started. If axl is "vaguely contemplating" releasing new material then axl is quite content with GNR being a touring band only and the only "new" song that will be added to the setlist is a reworked 20 to 30 year old song.

Yeah mate, I was obviously joking. Being witness to Axl attempting to release music for decades now is like watching a woman trying to give birth to an Elephant !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He doesn't specifically say new music in GnR though. He just says he's recording guitar stuff for Guns (if we're interpreting his quote literally).

I haven't heard the interview myself but somebody mentioned earlier on this thread that he concentrates solely on Guns right now and isn't involved in other projects. That would mean new music for Guns. :shrugs:

2 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Yeah mate, I was obviously joking. Being witness to Axl attempting to release music for decades now is like watching a woman trying to give birth to an Elephant !

:lol: i appreciate you putting slashs quotes in your post, i certainly wasnt having a go at your post. 

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Here is what he said exactly:

Slash: "I’ve been pretty much a homebody [during the quarantine], but I’ve been back and forth between my studio and the house and doing a lot of writing and recording on my own. I’ve been jamming with Duff, and I’ve been jamming with Axl, and I’ve been doing stuff like that; so we’ve been getting some work done that way. But I haven’t been doing much else. I haven’t been doing any collaborations with the odd artist and whatnot – I’m basically just focusing on writing new music, and recording demos, and recording guitar stuff for Guns and whatnot."

That "and whatnot" is just lingering there isn't it? 

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I haven't heard the interview myself but somebody mentioned earlier on this thread that he concentrates solely on Guns right now and isn't involved in other projects. That would mean new music for Guns. :shrugs:

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash: "I’ve been pretty much a homebody [during the quarantine], but I’ve been back and forth between my studio and the house and doing a lot of writing and recording on my own. I’ve been jamming with Duff, and I’ve been jamming with Axl, and I’ve been doing stuff like that; so we’ve been getting some work done that way. But I haven’t been doing much else. I haven’t been doing any collaborations with the odd artist and whatnot – I’m basically just focusing on writing new music, and recording demos, and recording guitar stuff for Guns and whatnot."

Yeah so that does leave open the possibility of working on stuff that isn't GnR. He's doing GnR stuff and probably other stuff too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That "and whatnot" is just lingering there isn't it? 

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah so that does leave open the possibility of working on stuff that isn't GnR. He's doing GnR stuff and probably other stuff too.

If he was writing for SMKC, too, I don't see why he wouldn't say it explicitly, like he has other times, e.g. when he had said he had a folder of ideas for GnR and another for SMKC.

16 hours ago, fowlerisgod said:

I really liked Duff's new bass intro and the new Slash licks over the top.... thought it had potential

I never heard the old one.. I will definitely give it a fair shot if they ever release a new version of it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

You're right. He didn't collaborate with anybody other than Axl and Duff but he didn't say he writes music only for Guns. 

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

So basically he separates writing music and recording guitar stuff for Guns. It could mean everything but it sounds like he doesn't know who he writes music for. Could be for Guns or for anybody else if Axl's not interested in this music. Most likely for himself or SMKC.

Recording guitar stuff for Guns sounds like he's been doing guitar parts for already existing music... probably CD 2 stuff. But hopefully it means he records parts which are definitely going to be used as GNR stuff and nothing else (unlike the "writing music" quote).

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You're right. He didn't collaborate with anybody other than Axl and Duff but he didn't say he writes music only for Guns. 

So basically he separates writing music and recording guitar stuff for Guns. It could mean everything but it sounds like he doesn't know who he writes music for. Could be for Guns or for anybody else if Axl's not interested in this music. Most likely for himself or SMKC.

Recording guitar stuff for Guns sounds like he's been doing guitar parts for already existing music... probably CD 2 stuff. But hopefully it means he records parts which are definitely going to be used as GNR stuff and nothing else (unlike the "writing music" quote).

He doesn't necessarily separate them. This part could be read like he separates them but it could also be read as that he's doing all three for GnR.

He also said that he's been jamming with Axl. If he's only laying guitar on existing songs, what would they need to jam for?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He doesn't necessarily separate them. This part could be read like he separates them but it could also be read as that he's doing all three for GnR.

He also said that he's been jamming with Axl. If he's only laying guitar on existing songs, what would they need to jam for?

You don't even know how much I want this to be true. And you got a point with jamming with Axl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

You don't even know how much I want this to be true. And you got a point with jamming with Axl.

It seems that they've been at least trying to write new stuff together. Time will tell if they can and whether something comes out of the effort.

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think people are too skeptical because of the band's history, but IMO this is the most obvious answer: he's just recording guitars - as overdubs, or even stuff from the scratch - for GNR. But also recording demos for GNR, because there's absolutely no reason why he can't do both. Because the band has much more time now - that wasn't expected -, nothing stops them to actually write and add more stuff. Maybe changing plans and including a new song or two that were not previously planned. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think people are too skeptical because of the band's history, but IMO this is the most obvious answer: he's just recording guitars - as overdubs, or even stuff from the scratch - for GNR. But also recording demos for GNR, because there's absolutely no reason why he can't do both. Because the band has much more time now - that wasn't expected -, nothing stops them to actually write and add more stuff. Maybe changing plans and including a new song or two that were not previously planned. 

I agree. From Slash's previous interviews, it seems he had already done guitar work (unknown to what capacity) on Axl's material before the quarantine. He had also probably come up with some ideas and riffs, but nothing had been done with these. And now, with this unplanned downtime, they've decided to try and write new stuff in addition to the planned work on existing material.  

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I agree. From Slash's previous interviews, it seems he had already done guitar work (unknown to what capacity) on Axl's material before the quarantine. He had also probably come up with some ideas and riffs, but nothing had been done with these. And now, with this unplanned downtime, they've decided to try and write new stuff in addition to the planned work on existing material.  

Yeah, that's what makes the most sense to me.

Another theory: not sure if their (Slash, Duff) scheduled time for the GNR tour that would be happen now had to migrate to studio work. They planned to spend the year with GNR, so all the other plans were arranged around that. And now they all have this "free time" related to GNR that couldn't be fulfilled with other side projects.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Another theory: not sure if their (Slash, Duff) scheduled time for the GNR tour that would be happen now had to migrate to studio work. They planned to spend the year with GNR, so all the other plans were arranged around that. And now they all have this "free time" related to GNR that couldn't be fulfilled with other side projects.

This, too. Slash had told Trunk last September that the deal was to work on new music when off the road. I guess the "road" included Slash's and Duff's other projects.

Another thing worth noting is that the other members don't seem to be involved in whatever has been going on during the quarantine. Which probably means either that their (Richard's, Frank's and Dizzy's) parts have  already been recorded (in the case of the existing material) or that, in the case of songs reworked from scratch and newly written songs, if/when the actual recording takes place, they'll just play what they are told.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This, too. Slash had told Trunk last September that the deal was to work on new music when off the road. I guess the "road" included Slash's and Duff's other projects.

Another thing worth noting is that the other members don't seem to be involved in whatever has been going on during the quarantine. Which probably means either that their (Richard's, Frank's and Dizzy's) parts have  already been recorded (in the case of the existing material) or that, in the case of songs reworked from scratch and newly written songs, if/when the actual recording takes place, they'll just play what they are told.

"if/when the actual recording takes place, they'll just play what they are told".

Doesnt sound like much of a "band" at all. But i always wondered if this lineup was going to record whatever new release, how much input the other members except the main 3 would have. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

45 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

But i always wondered if this lineup was going to record whatever new release, how much input the other members except the main 3 would have. 

Richard would probably have some input, Melissa would maybe do backing vocals and synth/effects work, Frank is gonna play what he's told and I doubt Dizzy will do much, the piano parts could be recorded by Axl and/or Melissa

• Like 1