Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hmm so while it is true that GN'R blocks videos, I've only seen them block live videos--not content like his--see watch Mojo. I definitely could be wrong. But also sucks he couldn't say a damn thing about the record.. boring--not much to say that hasn't been said yet, but I just want to hear other people's opinions is all. Eh sucks

Also, imo, the ONLY record that can compete with Appetite is Zeppelin 1 for best debut

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Hmm so while it is true that GN'R blocks videos, I've only seen them block live videos--not content like his--see watch Mojo. I definitely could be wrong. But also sucks he couldn't say a damn thing about the record.. boring--not much to say that hasn't been said yet, but I just want to hear other people's opinions is all. Eh sucks

Also, imo, the ONLY record that can compete with Appetite is Zeppelin 1 for best debut

AFD is better than Zep 1, which has some cover versions on it. Zeps artistic output is the best in rock without question. AFD and Metallica’s Black Album are the best rock albums in history to me. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

No Here's Little Richard, not only the greatest rock debut but the greatest rock album ever ever?  

You usually don't see many albums from the 50s in top album lists, because up to the early 60s pop music was built around the single format and it wasn't album orientated. LPs had more of a complementary role, like as compilations of the released singles. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lists like this are always subjective. This one is mostly (North) American-centered, which is totally understandable since the guy is American. However , there has to be some objectivity within the list-maker's criteria in order for the list to have any merit, and I think a top-22 debut albums list, based on the criteria he set in the beginning on the video, wich doesn't include the Sex Pistols automatically loses credibility. Seriously, only an "honorable mention"? Props to him, though, for The Velvet Underground.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Appetite stands as one of the best debuts and best hard rock albums of all time. There would be no GNR without it.

Glad to see Definitely Maybe on the list too. 

+1 for Definitely Maybe. It and Nevermind are THE 2 defining rock albums of the 90s. I don't think anything has come close since. The only band since then that has come close (to me) is KALEO, their debut A/B from 2016 is from an artistic standpoint IMO incredible and will be looked at as one of the greatest albums of the 2010s a couple decades down the line. A songwriter like that doesn't come around often, a song like No Good is already a timeless classic. Their next album comes out in a month, it now took them more than 4 years to follow up that debut, go figure.

 

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

Appetite stands as one of the best debuts and best hard rock albums of all time. There would be no GNR without it.

Glad to see Definitely Maybe on the list too. 

Definitely Maybe is a belter of an album. 

I think anyone who hates on oasis for not being "rock", should give the album a listen. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

+1 for Definitely Maybe. It and Nevermind are THE 2 defining rock albums of the 90s. I don't think anything has come close since. The only band since then that has come close (to me) is KALEO, their debut A/B from 2016 is from an artistic standpoint IMO incredible and will be looked at as one of the greatest albums of the 2010s a couple decades down the line. A songwriter like that doesn't come around often, a song like No Good is already a timeless classic. Their next album comes out in a month, it now took them more than 4 years to follow up that debut, go figure.

 

94 to 96 is when there were alot of good albums being released for grunge, rock and indie genres.

If GNR were focused on releasing new material 95/96 there was alot of competition and the musical landscape was constantly changing. Other bands releasing albums that were popular within their genre in 94,

Purple - STP

Far beyond driven - Pantera ( was no1 on the Australia charts first week in)

Urge Overkill were big from being in the Pulp Fiction movie released in 94

But Oasis were absolutely huge mid 90s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Creed said:

Just checked some albums of the Top5.

AFD is the best debut rock album ever made and i'll tell you why. Because they could have put Don't Cry, November Rain, KOHD, Crash Diet, etc on that album, too.

Van Halen's debut CD had 5 songs. Thats actually an EP. But Van Halen already had a demo album in 1976 with 30 songs. Taking that as debut is pretty good. The Kiss Management however thought they suck...

 

Crash Diet would have been a killer song on AFD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 12:31 AM, Blackstar said:

You usually don't see many albums from the 50s in top album lists, because up to the early 60s pop music was built around the single format and it wasn't album orientated. LPs had more of a complementary role, like as compilations of the released singles. 

True, however Please Please Me is included, released 1963 in advance of the 'album age', an era, at least for rock-pop, usually said to commence circa 1966 with Blonde on BlondePet Sounds et al., and albums like Appetite for Destruction are conceptually not exactly Pink Floyd: Appetite is actually a very (four mins) song-by-song singles driven LP. Unless you are being artsy fartsy, what is a LP but a bunch of songs - it doesn't matter how it was compiled? There is really not a lot conceptually different between Here's Little Richard and Appetite.

Elvis's self-titled debut is also one of the greatest and even boasts an ironic sleeve. If we dip into blues, although a sort of proto-rock figure, I'd also mention Howlin' Wolf's Moanin' in the Moonlight.

But, analyse this,

Hereslittlerichard.jpeg

'Tutti Frutti, 'Ready Teddy', 'Slippin' and Slidin', 'Long Tall Sally', 'Rip It Up', 'Jenny, Jenny', 'She's Got It'! 

It is literally impossible to describe a more seminal debut album. I might listen to it now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...