robert john trailer

Just now, Blackstar said:

It was Gene Kirkland, the other band photographer who had taken that photo :) 

Thanks, my bad. I knew it was one of them. I'm not good with remembering who did what.

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Thanks. Why is this trailer surfacing now? Do we know? 

No idea. First I heard was this thread.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Thanks. Why is this trailer surfacing now? Do we know? 

As explained earlier, some of this footage has been around (only backstage stuff, not songs). Robert John had shared it on an internet channel

https://web.archive.org/web/20090404022431/http://www.joost.com:80/395kyw3/t/My-GNR-Home-Movies

(The clips are gone now, apparently).

I think he was trying to release his footage on DVD, but it didn't happen, probably due to copyright issues for the songs.

There's been a rumour that he wants to sell the footage, so maybe this is the purpose of the trailer that surfaced now.

Btw, I'm surprised that there is someone here who doesn't know who Robert John is.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

I found this old topic from Canter Banter (2012) about a fall out with Axl.

I don't know for sure how it all went down but this is what might have happened. Robert was trying to stay loyal to Axl by not working with some bands that Axl didn't want him to work with. There came a time where Robert couldn't pay the bills anymore and there was no New GNR photos that were going out to magazines. They had a falling out over it and Axl made Robert an offer for all his GNR stuff. For some reason Robert never got paid and filed a suit for it. I think GNR management didn't pay Robert and it got ugly. Axl probably was not even aware of what was going on till it was to late. Take this with a grain of salt.

39 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Was Gene Kirkland Slash’s guy? Do you know he came into the fold ?

I don't know if Gene Kirkland was originally "Slash's guy". He was already a professional rock photographer when he started working with GnR. He took some pictures in the AFD era, then he was on the UYI tour as one of the band's photographers. He worked with Slash after he left GnR and still works with him. I think (I'm not sure) he worked with Axl, too, up to a point in the CD era.

53 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

As explained earlier, some of this footage has been around (only backstage stuff, not songs). Robert John had shared it on an internet channel

https://web.archive.org/web/20090404022431/http://www.joost.com:80/395kyw3/t/My-GNR-Home-Movies

(The clips are gone now, apparently).

I think he was trying to release his footage on DVD, but it didn't happen, probably due to copyright issues for the songs.

There's been a rumour that he wants to sell the footage, so maybe this is the purpose of the trailer that surfaced now.

Btw, I'm surprised that there is someone here who doesn't know who Robert John is.

Thanks for that. 

I'm very shit with names, so while I will have seen and encountered his work, I just haven't picked up on the name properly. Don't be too surprised! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chinese stew said:

This is just handy cam footage, there's 3 years of pro shot stuff rotting away somewhere.

it's analog 8mm. with a professional converting in a digital format, it will looks very good. And this material has nothin to do with GN'Rs UYI Tour. It's RJs stuff and nobody has it, besides RJ.

I'm very interesstet in backstage stuff and rehearsel

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

it's analog 8mm. with a professional converting in a digital format, it will looks very good. And this material has nothin to do with GN'Rs UYI Tour. It's RJs stuff and nobody has it, besides RJ.

It was shot during the Illusions Tour. 

Looks like a 90s handy cam.

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Treasures like this, and yet they're kept in vaults... unbelievable. I hope we'll get our hands on that eventually. 

It's absolutely insane. Stuff left to rot left right and centre for what? It sometimes seems it might be done simply out of spite! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chinese stew said:

It was shot during the Illusions Tour. 

Looks like a 90s handy cam.

but it's analog. It's not a Sony Erricson k800i with digital 360p with pixals. It's a cam with 8mm like these

for examble
8mmCamcorder.jpg

and it's a analog format, which looks good with a professional digital converting.

8 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

but it's analog. It's not a Sony Erricson k800i with digital 360p with pixals. It's a cam with 8mm like these

for examble
8mmCamcorder.jpg

and it's a analog format, which looks good with a professional digital converting.

Still looks grainy, I have better quality videos from 90s cameras than that.

Still, willing to pay for any of it if becomes available. 

2 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

Im interestefd in that to.

Mainly illusion studio recording sessions and backstage tour stuff.

Edited by Sydney Fan

I was looking for this thread - i was afraid to start it in case it highlights the footage & it gets taken down. 

THIS IS THE HOLYGRAIL...fuck why cant they just release all this backstage/behind the scenes footage...the GnR universe is STARVED for this shit. 

anyway I watched the hour + long compilation of clips there - its called Guns n Roses Robert john [The Photograpic History] and it has some fucking class unseen footage. Just seeing the band jam & shoot the shit back stage is unreal. 

I dont know this is released now - 

But my advice is find it asap & watch before its removed by whoever blocks this shit from us. 

7 minutes ago, Jaygnr said:

I was looking for this thread - i was afraid to start it in case it highlights the footage & it gets taken down. 

THIS IS THE HOLYGRAIL...fuck why cant they just release all this backstage/behind the scenes footage...the GnR universe is STARVED for this shit. 

anyway I watched the hour + long compilation of clips there - its called Guns n Roses Robert john [The Photograpic History] and it has some fucking class unseen footage. Just seeing the band jam & shoot the shit back stage is unreal. 

I dont know this is released now - 

But my advice is find it asap & watch before its removed by whoever blocks this shit from us. 

Indeed, the documentary is awesome. But it has been circulating on DVD for years. I think I got it via good old trading by post in 2007. 

Same goes for lots of the snippets seen in the new trailer, especially the backstage and the St. Louis riot footage.   

The live clips included in the trailer are, on the other hand, new to me, at least most of them. 

• Like 1