Chris Cornell Cover of "Patience" Dropping Tomorrow

Just now, WhazUp said:

Same here, I really dig this cover!

Chris has a fantastic ability to cover songs and put a cool spin on them.  Songs that come to mind are Ticket To Ride, Better Man, Nothing Compares 2 U, and Imagine

His cover of Nothing Compares 2 U was rubbish and the less said about his massacre of Billie Jean the better.

Sorry, I know we all have to love Chris now that he's dead, but I find him very generic.

• Like 2
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So... now we are at a point, where dead artists release more GNR music, than guns n' roses itself? 🤦‍♂️

I haven't seen any other sources for this, but it looks like we're getting a Chris Cornell cover of Patience tomorrow morning.   

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

His cover of Nothing Compares 2 U was rubbish and the less said about his massacre of Billie Jean the better.

Sorry, I know we all have to love Chris now that he's dead, but I find him very generic.

Agree to disagree I suppose in that case lol I quite enjoy his renditions of both Nothing Compares and especially his rendition of Billie Jean (specifically on his Sweden concert from '07)

I was a huge Chris Cornell fan prior to his death, saw him solo and with SG multiple times so this isn't "death nostalgia" talking, just what I honestly feel - the dude's style is to my tastes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, DonkeyNuts said:

Mullet head!

J/K :lol:

Why because i don like the shitty synthesizer sounds that was used on this song. 

Your comment is really the donkey nuts. 

Edited by vloors
1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Agree to disagree I suppose in that case lol I quite enjoy his renditions of both Nothing Compares and especially his rendition of Billie Jean (specifically on his Sweden concert from '07)

I was a huge Chris Cornell fan prior to his death, saw him solo and with SG multiple times so this isn't "death nostalgia" talking, just what I honestly feel - the dude's style is to my tastes

every time I hear one of his songs, I shiver :heart:

I really miss him

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

i coulda sworn that he wasn’t that big of a GnR fan anyways.

Although he was critical about some things, like that GnR had girls in the crowd show their tits and the over-indulgence of the Estranged video, he had stated that the success of AFD had played a big role in bands like Soundgarden getting noticed and signed by major labels:

In 1985, Seattle was just another city in Northwest America, with Jimi Hendrix as its sole musical legacy of note. Then, according to Cornell, apropos of nothing, came Guns 'N' Roses.  [...] "For a decade," he whispers, "youth culture was represented by guys who presented themselves as really decadent: a drugs, alcohol, women, limousines lifestyle in front of all these kids. Starting with Guns 'N' Roses, when they were just a rock band, before they were stuffing $100 bills in their pockets, the kids realised that there were people who looked like their friend at school who can represent them in some way, playing the sort of music they like and can deal with. Ultimately, people would rather go out and buy an album by a kid with long hair and a backwards baseball cap than a 37 year old balding guy in spandex." [...] "Nobody from a major label ever went to see an alternative band," claims Cornell. "We were just jerkoffs, an urban wankfest - you couldn't dance to it, it didn't remind you of anything on MTV and it didn't sound like Huey Lewis or A Flock Of Seagulls." Enter Guns 'N' Roses and their megahit album, Appetite For Destruction. "It was nothing, nothing, nothing. Then all of a sudden it was A&M and Warners at the same show," says Cornell. [Q Magazine, October 1994]

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/articles/q_10-94.shtml

He also thought it was cool that GnR covered Big Dumb Sex and defended them over the Manson song.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Although he was critical about some things, like that GnR had girls in the crowd show their tits and the over-indulgence of the Estranged video, he had stated that the success of AFD had played a big role in bands like Soundgarden getting noticed and signed by major labels:

In 1985, Seattle was just another city in Northwest America, with Jimi Hendrix as its sole musical legacy of note. Then, according to Cornell, apropos of nothing, came Guns 'N' Roses.  [...] "For a decade," he whispers, "youth culture was represented by guys who presented themselves as really decadent: a drugs, alcohol, women, limousines lifestyle in front of all these kids. Starting with Guns 'N' Roses, when they were just a rock band, before they were stuffing $100 bills in their pockets, the kids realised that there were people who looked like their friend at school who can represent them in some way, playing the sort of music they like and can deal with. Ultimately, people would rather go out and buy an album by a kid with long hair and a backwards baseball cap than a 37 year old balding guy in spandex." [...] "Nobody from a major label ever went to see an alternative band," claims Cornell. "We were just jerkoffs, an urban wankfest - you couldn't dance to it, it didn't remind you of anything on MTV and it didn't sound like Huey Lewis or A Flock Of Seagulls." Enter Guns 'N' Roses and their megahit album, Appetite For Destruction. "It was nothing, nothing, nothing. Then all of a sudden it was A&M and Warners at the same show," says Cornell. [Q Magazine, October 1994]

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/articles/q_10-94.shtml

He also thought it was cool that GnR covered Big Dump Sex and defended them over the Manson song.

A song called Big Dump Sex ?  Eewwww...  (just kidding)

One of the many GnR books I have read quotes Axl as mentioning this amazing guy out of Seattle and how this emerging singer “buries me”. Or something like that, so Axl clearly recognised and appreciated Chris’ vocal ability. 

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

There's no denying that Chris is a great singer, but his music is bland as fuck and this cover is drab.

Agree that Chris is an exceptional singer, but 100% disagree that his music is bland. It's not always in your face, fire breathing! but if you can't listen to Euphoria morning and get something from it, you might not enjoy music 😄

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

A song called Big Dump Sex ?  Eewwww...  (just kidding)

I sometimes this kind of mistakes that a native speaker would never make.:lol:

15 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

One of the many GnR books I have read quotes Axl as mentioning this amazing guy out of Seattle and how this emerging singer “buries me”. Or something like that, so Axl clearly recognised and appreciated Chris’ vocal ability. 

Yes, Axl said this in 1989 when Soundgarden weren't widely known. He was very fond of Chris Cornell in general. He said Soundgarden were the coolest band GnR toured with.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Gosh, normally I love CC, but not here.  I just dont like this cover, there is too much going on and compared to Axl's voice his sounds like a dirge.  Just another opinion.

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Like 1

Right in line with Cornell's most recent solo efforts so in a way it sounds exactly like I expected it to, and I love it. Fantastic interpretation. Still such a loss for music. What a voice.

Side note - technically this means someone who has been dead for two years managed to put out a new Guns N' Roses single before Guns N' Roses.

2 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Right in line with Cornell's most recent solo efforts so in a way it sounds exactly like I expected it to, and I love it. Fantastic interpretation. Still such a loss for music. What a voice.

Side note - technically this means someone who has been dead for two years managed to put out a new Guns N' Roses single before Guns N' Roses.

He’s been dead for three years actually.

14 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Going by that logic then releasing 'Shadow of Your Love' would mean GNR have released a "new" single.

I like how his voice in the verses is super country. I like the 're-chording' of the chorus too - that new guitar bit is nice. Although the chorus is arranged and produced in way that makes it seem like it should be the montage music during the dramatic part of a The Ranch christmas special, lol. Its cool though.

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's also nonsense that "we all love Chris now that he's dead", where were you from like 91 to the day he died? Chris Cornell has always been loved... with the exception of The scream album, and some of the Audioslave songs. 

There are definitely artists that die who were under the radar, and once they die people are straight away saying "I always loved them... saw them in a club back in the day, there was 20 people... the music moves me... man!!" but you cannot brush Cornell with that, he was huge and celebrated long before his death!

I would take the stuff he did with audioslave than his solo stuff. Audioslave need props for putting rock back on the map in the early 2000s.I find the lyrics to his solo stuff to listen to as generic as listening to myles kennedy. But each their own. But SG is on a different level.

Edited by Sydney Fan
33 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Going by that logic then releasing 'Shadow of Your Love' would mean GNR have released a "new" single.

Im sure GNR or even TB were promoting SOYL as a brand "new song" during NITL, not a 30 year old new song.