Chris Cornell Cover of "Patience" Dropping Tomorrow

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's ridiculous to say "Black Hole Sun was his only real hit". Outshined, Rusty Cage, Fell On Black Days, Spoonman, Be Yourself, Show Me How To Live, he had a bunch of big hits. :lol:

You lost me with the comparison to Brian Wilson and Lady Gaga...

It's a long catalogue, I know. But you forgot this one.

Gives me chills every time I hear it.

Chris was (and still is) the best voice along with Freddie (as long as I love uncle Ax).

It's not our fault people only know him for BHS or NC2U.

Edited by nikosgnr
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Creed said:

I'm mit judging someone by sold records or clicks... Estranged wasn't successful at all, musically its the most challenging thing oldGnR created. Its GnR's stairway to heaven.

Black Hole Sun has also a unique sound. Its sth, i have never heard before. Its interesting.

But this? It bores me. 

Just watched a Brian Wilson docu yesterday on YouTube. The Beach Boys were a surfer pop band with fun songs and some hits. The only 2 songs which are better than that are God only knows and Good Vibrations imo. Just listen to their greatest hits and tell me that its awesome. Its not. But people said for years that Brian Wilson is a genius and the Beach Boys are as good as the Beatles. Come on...The Beatles went much further than them musically.

If Brian Wilson is a genius, then Lady Gaga and many other pop artists are genius, too.

It was a bit of a surprise to me that Audio Slave has songs with as many views as this.  

I think the beach boys are both over and under rated, depending who you talk to. They have some songs which are amazing but a lot of their catalogue aged poorly like the Stones or the Beatles. But all those acts remain pretty influential. 

I'd certainly rate Gaga as a high tier music performer. Though I think the most influential stuff she's done has been moving her aesthetic into the mainstream. But I guess you could argue most of that had already been done by other acts. 

On 20/07/2020 at 11:01 PM, Sydney Fan said:

I would take the stuff he did with audioslave than his solo stuff. Audioslave need props for putting rock back on the map in the early 2000s.I find the lyrics to his solo stuff to listen to as generic as listening to myles kennedy. But each their own. But SG is on a different level.

Totally agree, I love SG and Audioslave a close second to that, but his solo stuff was a bit soft for my liking. Regardless, he was one of the best rock singers of all time, like the very top echelon stuff. No-one could really touch him, as far as his signature screaming vocals. Mercury probably sits above them all but CC is up there with them.

As for this cover, to be honest, I don’t think it showcases his talent doing a song like this. Axl sings it way better with more range and dynamics that demonstrate passion & emotion to me. Cornell is a bit bland on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Totally agree, I love SG and Audioslave a close second to that, but his solo stuff was a bit soft for my liking. Regardless, he was one of the best rock singers of all time, like the very top echelon stuff. No-one could really touch him, as far as his signature screaming vocals. Mercury probably sits above them all but CC is up there with them.

As for this cover, to be honest, I don’t think it showcases his talent doing a song like this. Axl sings it way better with more range and dynamics that demonstrate passion & emotion to me. Cornell is a bit bland on it.

Its interesting how CC was friends with the GNR guys considering all the grunge/seattle bands had given GNR a wide berth around 92 and didnt want to be associated with them. Especially CC and Grohl. Makes me wonder had Kurt lived if he would have been friends or respectful to the GNR big 3.

Edited by Sydney Fan

On 20/07/2020 at 1:49 PM, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I have no interest in hearing it. Probably about as good as Sheryl Crow’s cover of “Sweet Child O’ Mine”.

Well its a millions times better than Axls murdering cats cover of his song BHS,

5 hours ago, Creed said:

Lets face it, not only that Axl lost his voice, he lost his ability to cover stuff perfectly in 1994 as well. That KOHD leak acoustic version is just awful. But under the right circumstances / people he can still deliver. Axl / DC was probably that good, because there were finally people around him who honestly said 'this is good / this is bad'. Axl is again surrounded by ass lickers. And yeah Duff and Slash are licking his ass. If they would be honest with him: we would have had a new drummer by now.

Dude, Scott Stapp had a pretty nice voice before they fell apart in the early 2000s. No Mickey shit at all. Unfortunately he got sick, etc and also lost his voice. The last Creed album was horrible. I like bipolar artists like Axl, Stapp, etc. I even like Brian Wilson. Cool dude. But Smile sucks.

I'm just objective. When someone is good, he is good. Cornell was good in BHS. But he was mediocre in the rest he did. I judge every like that, even if i dont like him. 

I saw Creed 3 times live in 2002. They were a great band. 

14 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its interesting how CC was friends with the GNR guys considering all the grunge/seattle bands had given GNR a wide berth around 92 and didnt want to be associated with them. Especially CC and Grohl. Makes me wonder had Kurt lived if he would have been friends or respectful to the GNR big 3.

I remember Axl saying in an interview that Soundgarden's Louder Than Love would've been a desert island album for him.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I remember Axl saying in an interview that Soundgarden's Louder Than Love would've been a desert island album for him.

Its interesting how axl was wanting to have bands who were unknown within the mainstream like SG, FNM and supporting the bands they like but these  would give GNR a wide berth or just shit on them in the press. This is why i thought these seattle bands were so hypocritical. Wanted the exposure but shit on the one big band that tried to help them. 

I remember eddie vedder moaning in the press in the early 90s when being interviewed about how hes well known , and the success his band were getting. Sebastian bach in an interview in a magazine i had, said eddie should go work in a factory 12 hours a day if he doesnt want to have the success or exposure. 

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 3

On 21/07/2020 at 10:51 AM, Free Bird said:

His rendition isn't bad. Of course it's a good vocal performance, it's Chris, but I think this version is a bit boring and I prefer the original by far.

And I was never a fan of the Seattle bands tbh.

Yeah, the way he chose to play it really restricted the movement, and that he didn't go with the lift for the outro it feels like it isn't really going anywhere! like you said the vocal is nice! and the cover is good, but it's not going to competing with Axl and co even on one of their shoddier days.

Never got huge into the grunge scene, but Facelift, Dirt and Ten are some of my all time favourite albums! STP greatest hits is a great collection, and Soundgarden down on the upside is a fantastic album! when it gets into Smashing pumpkins and mudhoney and that end of things, the vocals just weren't there to bring it over the hump! Never liked the super noise bands.

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its interesting how axl was wanting to have bands who were unknown within the mainstream like SG, FNM and supporting the bands they like but these  would give GNR a wide berth or just shit on them in the press. This is why i thought these seattle bands were so hypocritical. Wanted the exposure but shit on the one big band that tried to help them. 

I remember eddie vedder moaning in the press in the early 90s when being interviewed about how hes well known , and the success his band were getting. Sebastian bach in an interview in a magazine i had, said eddie should go work in a factory 12 hours a day if he doesnt want to have the success or exposure. 

Only FNM had talked shit in the press (and Nirvana, but they didn't tour with GnR anyway). Soundgarden didn't. They would say some things later - not all of them - about how they didn't fit in with the "rock circus" atmosphere of the tour and the GnR crowds, but they didn't talk shit. I posted a Chris Cornell quote from 1994 a couple of pages back where he acknowledged that the success for GnR paved the way for SG to get signed. Here is a collection of SG interviews from 1992, when they toured with GnR:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4004-1992-mm-dd-excerpts-from-various-interviews-with-members-of-soundgarden

As far as the other bands go, I don't recall any Pearl Jam interviews talking about GnR either positively or negatively. There is only the story Doug Goldstein told, that Axl wanted to do a show with them and U2 and PJ's manager flat out denied. And Alice in Chains were friends with GnR, especially Duff and Slash.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Eddie seemed to be the definition of an angry young man in those days, and in combination with his complicated past, he probably wasn't the easiest person to deal with. You can't blame them for being confused and overwhelmed by what was happening. They had only been a band for about a year before Ten blew up and changed their life. Eddie went from being a high school dropout working at a gas station to being one of the most famous rockers in the world in a very short time. And to be fair, by the second record they responded to all the media attention by not doing a lot of promotion and interviews and not even making a music video, in an era when MTV could still make or break you.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, the way he chose to play it really restricted the movement, and that he didn't go with the lift for the outro it feels like it isn't really going anywhere!

And instead of a whistling intro it's like the fucking Terminator soundtrack for 20 seconds. Weird :)

Edited by Ant