Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I know this is super random, but can anyone help me find a particular video of him? It was definitely during a 2002 performance. All I remember was that it was during a song where he was in the background doing the most ridiculous walk ever and maybe even fell down or slid on his knees or some shit? It was hilarious and I remember people laughing their asses off in the comments section. I want to make a gif out of it. Thank you to anybody that can help! ūüėā

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever officially explained his departure? I don't remember anything of the sort. He was just gone one day. I mean, I could assume the reasons (probably similar to Bucket's), but still... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever officially explained his departure? I don't remember anything of the sort. He was just gone one day. I mean, I could assume the reasons (probably similar to Bucket's), but still... 

don't think Robin shared his reasons for his departure. This was Gn'R's official statement:


Robin's plans caught everyone in Guns, as well as our fans, a bit off-guard.

Really, Del James' private e-mail that someone took upon themselves to post publicly is the best way for us to address things at this time: "Only Robin knows what Robin's doing."

Neither we nor management, etc., know any more in this regard and we prefer not to speculate or offer opinions at this time.

Robin's Robin. We're in negotiations for the release of "Chinese Democracy" and things are going well.

When we begin to put tour plans together, we'll see where things are. Until then, Robin's touring with NIN and we're working with management on our game plans.

Our thanks to those who continue to show their support.

Guns N' Roses

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever officially explained his departure? I don't remember anything of the sort. He was just gone one day. I mean, I could assume the reasons (probably similar to Bucket's), but still... 

Wasn't it that NIN weren't really going at the time, then they started again and he went to that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Wasn't it that NIN weren't really going at the time, then they started again and he went to that? 

According to Wiki, their hiatus ended in 03. Besides, that would sound sort of like a substitutive reason to me. When Axl hired a guy back then, it surely was for good, not just as a tenure (ironically, considering the further development). But what @Rovim said above sounds adequate. So as I suspected, no real explanation given. 

"Robin is Robin." "Izzy is Izzy." All cautions made, every chance was given... or not. 

Edited by jamillos
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

According to Wiki, their hiatus ended in 03. Besides, that would sound sort of like a substitutive reason to me. When Axl hired a guy back then, it surely was for good, not just as a tenure (ironically, considering the further development). But what @Rovim said above sounds adequate. So as I suspected, no real explanation given. 

"Robin is Robin." "Izzy is Izzy." All cautions made, every chance was given... or not. 

For good in Axl's mind, but in Robin's mind? Dealing with all that chaos then getting a call to tour substantially with NIN, where things are professional, easy and creative? I'd imagine it had something to do with it. 

But yeah, who knows? Things were weird all round, so I'm sure elements of simply "I don't want to do this anymore" came into things too! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

For good in Axl's mind, but in Robin's mind? Dealing with all that chaos then getting a call to tour substantially with NIN, where things are professional, easy and creative? I'd imagine it had something to do with it. 

But yeah, who knows? Things were weird all round, so I'm sure elements of simply "I don't want to do this anymore" came into things too! 

I think in the Axl chats, where Axl went online to discuss Chinese, he said that Robin's work was already done, kinda trying to downplay the significance of him quitting again imo. Robin likes to tour, so my guess is that yeah, maybe he knew there wasn't going to be any activity with Gn'R and the album was done so he bailed to go tour with NIN.

Edited by Rovim
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

For good in Axl's mind, but in Robin's mind? Dealing with all that chaos then getting a call to tour substantially with NIN, where things are professional, easy and creative? I'd imagine it had something to do with it. 

But yeah, who knows? Things were weird all round, so I'm sure elements of simply "I don't want to do this anymore" came into things too! 

Exactly what I meant. Professionalism and stability on one side, chaos and lack of released material on the other - like I said, Bucket must have been on the same page with Robin here. Oh well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamillos said:

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever officially explained his departure? I don't remember anything of the sort. He was just gone one day. I mean, I could assume the reasons (probably similar to Bucket's), but still... 

Officially? Not really.

Word on the street was Azoff stopped paying him, without Axl knowing, in an attempt to get Robin to leave for not being paid, which would potentially open the door for Slash to return.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Officially? Not really.

Word on the street was Azoff stopped paying him, without Axl knowing, in an attempt to get Robin to leave for not being paid, which would potentially open the door for Slash to return.

If that's true, he must have been Merck's apprentice. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Officially? Not really.

Word on the street was Azoff stopped paying him, without Axl knowing, in an attempt to get Robin to leave for not being paid, which would potentially open the door for Slash to return.

it's possible Azoff tried to push Robin out of the band, but there is no evidence to support this rumor afaik.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's possible Azoff tried to push Robin out of the band, but there is no evidence to support this rumor afaik.

Well besides it being Irving Azoff....

He’s a master manipulator and that’s something right up his alley. Especially when it comes to reuniting artists for his gain. Not sure if he flat out didn’t pay him, but he could have made the situation for him more unstable than it already was (given the nature of GNR).

Azoff could have known Trent was probably going to call, and he very well could put Robin in a position beforehand that he couldn’t say no to the offer 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

Well besides it being Irving Azoff....

He’s a master manipulator and that’s something right up his alley. Especially when it comes to reuniting artists for his gain. Not sure if he flat out didn’t pay him, but he could have made the situation for him more unstable than it already was (given the nature of GNR).

Azoff could have known Trent was probably going to call, and he very well could put Robin in a position beforehand that he couldn’t say no to the offer 

I'm not disputing that Azoff's style/mo is to reunite big name bands and profit from it. He is certainly capable of doing fucked up shit to get what he wants it seems. But as I said in my previous post, there is no evidence to support it actually happened afaik.

Edited by Rovim
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jamillos said:

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone ever officially explained his departure? I don't remember anything of the sort. He was just gone one day. I mean, I could assume the reasons (probably similar to Bucket's), but still... 

I recall a interview in 1999 where he said he was tired of recording instrumental #37, etc. I‚Äôm paraphrasing, but that was his stated reason at that time and I‚Äôm almost certain that‚Äôs why he left permanently. Players such as Josh Freese, Brain, Robin and Bucket are real musicians with something to contribute, so I‚Äôm sure they all were frustrated with being in GNR and their talent being wasted. No offense to members of GNR, but the last iteration of NuGuns was DJ Ashba, Bumble and Frank.¬†¬†And, those guys really had nothing going for them as far as being taken serious in the industry.¬†¬†Axl stated in the chats he was the last man standing and the ‚Äúalumni‚ÄĚ didn‚Äôt want to continue. Seems like any serious musician with talent didn‚Äôt want to waste away in GNRland.

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is Robin just feels more at home with NIN despite it being a one man band. Actually two men band the last few years.

NIN are in top 5 bands of all time and it was becasue of Robin I got into them in the first place. I was buying some records sometime in 2002 and And All That Could Have Been DVD (or was it VHS, haha?) was playing in the store. I didn't know the band but I recognized Robin. I ended up buying that album more out of curiosity than anything else. I've loved NIN ever since, bought all of their records.

I was bummed when Buckethead and Robin left but it was the right choice considering how things went down. I was surprised Robin stayed that long in the first place.

Edited by Sisyphus
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Creed said:

Robin almost left in 2001, because Axl added Bucket. There was tension between Bucket and Robin since then.

This is not correct. It's actually the other way around.

Robin left in August 1999, before Buckethead came into the picture, and went to tour with NIN. Then he returned to GnR about a year later, when Buckethead was already in, but was undecided on whether he would stay after Rock in Rio. It can be speculated that it was because he and Buckethead weren't getting along. Then in mid-2001 Buckethead left or almost left, probably part of the reason being that he and Robin weren't getting along but there were other reasons as well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Creed said:

Slash left because he was pissed about Axl adding a new guitarist, he didnt like.

Robin almost left in 2001, because Axl added Bucket. There was tension between Bucket and Robin since then.

Bucket left because of mobbing by Tommy Stinson, health issues and tensions between Robin and him.

Robin left because of the addition of BBF (it was a step back technically for him and GnR) and bad vibes during that time.

BBF left because of health issues, bad vibes and mobbing by Stinson

Ashba left because of mobbing by MyGnR and his water factory

 

All lead guitarists left because their creativity got never published by Axl Rose. They simply had enough at some point.

 

I wonder how Axl looked at Tommy's bullying on other guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Creed said:

Slash left because he was pissed about Axl adding a new guitarist, he didnt like.

Robin almost left in 2001, because Axl added Bucket. There was tension between Bucket and Robin since then.

Bucket left because of mobbing by Tommy Stinson, health issues and tensions between Robin and him.

Robin left because of the addition of BBF (it was a step back technically for him and GnR) and bad vibes during that time.

BBF left because of health issues, bad vibes and mobbing by Stinson

Ashba left because of mobbing by MyGnR and his water factory

 

All lead guitarists left because their creativity got never published by Axl Rose. They simply had enough at some point.

 

Can't say I agree with all of these points, but yeah, there definitely is a pattern, that much we know. 

Edited by jamillos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...