Robin Finck Question

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is not correct. It's actually the other way around.

Robin left in August 1999, before Buckethead came into the picture, and went to tour with NIN. Then he returned to GnR about a year later, when Buckethead was already in, but was undecided on whether he would stay after Rock in Rio. It can be speculated that it was because he and Buckethead weren't getting along. Then in mid-2001 Buckethead left or almost left, probably part of the reason being that he and Robin weren't getting along but there were other reasons as well.

Is there any quote to back up this? I don't remember ever reading about it.

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Is there any quote to back up this? I don't remember ever reading about it.

There is this very short interview in Rio:

US: Robin, are you going to participate in the Guns American tour?

Robin Finck: Well, I don't know yet, we just got together to do this show.

US: Does Nine Inch Nails plan to come to Brazil one day?

Finck: Our tour is over now, so I don't know. I think so.

US:  Will you participate in the recording of the new Nine Inch Nails album?

Finck: I don't know.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4739-2001-01-14-ultimo-segundo-brazil-interviews-with-robin-brain-and-chris-pitman

He sounded uncertain about his status - or maybe I over-interpret it and he just didn't want to talk.

Original interview (in case there is a mistake in the translation):

https://web.archive.org/web/20010822125304/http:/www.ig.com.br:80/home/editorial/stories/editorial_body/0,1205,430313,00.html

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4739-2001-01-14-ultimo-segundo-brazil-interviews-with-robin-brain-and-chris-pitman

He sounded uncertain about his status - or maybe I over-interpret it and he just didn't want to talk.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010822125304/http:/www.ig.com.br:80/home/editorial/stories/editorial_body/0,1205,430313,00.html

Thanks. The translation is correct. It makes me think those Village Sessions were affected by that uncertain status of the band. 

I mean, Brain also says he wouldn't be in all the CD tracks in that same interview.

Robin doesn't really like to do interviews lol. At least this is not as cringy as that video from the guitar channel. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It sounds like he was just saying the band's touring schedule was uncertain beyond playing the Rock in Rio date. It does not sound like it was meant to be his status in the band was in question.

The Azoff speculation, for those who have asked, started from a certain overweight wrestler (so take it for what you will). The wrestler claimed Azoff basically tried to "freeze" Tommy and Robin out of the band in 2007/2008 by blocking any of their communications to Axl. His hope was that it would put Axl in a spot where he felt he had to go back to Slash and Duff, and Azoff would be responsible for another mega-reunion. Azoff had no idea Axl would essentially disband and go into hiding once the record came out in late 2008. When Robin left, it was apparently not because of anger to Axl directly, but more "I've been in the band ten years, I shouldn't have to put up with this shit." If the wrestlers list of documents are to be believed, Robin and Axl were still in touch after Robin re-joined NIN, as I think there was some sort of email correspondence between the two discussing the leaked tracks in 2008. 

Whatever happened, it seems to be in the past since Robin played with the band in 2012. Also, in the one interview he did back in 2013 or 2014 (the only interview with him where his tenure in Guns N' Roses is mentioned in more than passing), he seemed to reflect fondly on his time in the band and his contributions to Chinese Democracy. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

It sounds like he was just saying the band's touring schedule was uncertain beyond playing the Rock in Rio date. It does not sound like it was meant to be his status in the band was in question.

Yeah, I guess it could be just that, although Pitman in the same interview didn't question that a tour was planned, but sounded uncertain on whether the lineup would be the same:

US: In regards to the American tour, will the band's lineup be the same as in Rock in Rio?

Pitman: It’s difficult to say, but I believe so. At the moment we are just very tired, as we’ve been rehearsing continuously for the past two months. I'm kind of tired of music right now.

Btw, the tour had been officially announced by management along with Finck's return and Bob Ezrin's involvement in late October 2000:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4624-2000-10-30-mtv-news-guns-n-roses-plan-tour-confirm-guitarists

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

"Big F.D. Entertainment"? Was that solely Axl? Man, I have some reading up to do. Also, while googling it, I came accross this article:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-quits-guns-n-roses/

Listen to this - Axl informing MTV via fax in 1996 that Slash is out: 

"LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

#1. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses tour.

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses website.

#3. There will NOT be any NEW Guns N' Roses videos.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merchandise.

#5. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses Fan Club.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with three original "B" sides.

NOTE: If all goes well this will be immediately repeated.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

Nothing here is Subject To Change
Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION
Of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic"

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose
Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan"

Edited by jamillos

55 minutes ago, jamillos said:

"Big F.D. Entertainment"? Was that solely Axl? Man, I have some reading up to do. Also, while googling it, I came accross this article:

That was Doug Goldstein's managing company.

57 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Listen to this - Axl informing MTV via fax in 1996 that Slash is out: 

"LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses website.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merchandise.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with three original "B" sides.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose
Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan"

The source of this is a transcript of a blurry screenshot from an MTV video and there are some mistakes in the transcription (it's highly likely there are some more). Here is a corrected version:

LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses web site.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merhandise.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with
three original "B" sides.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors, as he has not been musically involved with Guns N Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF trial period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week trial period with Guns N' Roses in the fall
of 1996 *. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the
Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

c.c. Big FD Ent., Inc.
Michael "Duff" McKagan
Matt Sorum

and details about the (potential) transcription mistakes in the text that has been circulating:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t626-1996-10-30-fax-from-axl#17260

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That was Doug Goldstein's managing company.

The source of this is a transcript of a blurry screenshot from an MTV video and there are some mistakes in the transcription (it's highly likely there are some more). Here is a corrected version:

LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses web site.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merhandise.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with
three original "B" sides.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors, as he has not been musically involved with Guns N Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF trial period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week trial period with Guns N' Roses in the fall
of 1996 *. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the
Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

c.c. Big FD Ent., Inc.
Michael "Duff" McKagan
Matt Sorum

and details about the (potential) transcription mistakes in the text that has been circulating:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t626-1996-10-30-fax-from-axl#17260

What does axl mean with this "2 week trial period with Guns N' Roses in the fall
of 1996". What was the trial for?. Was this for next album rehearsals?. 

5 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

What does axl mean with this "2 week trial period with Guns N' Roses in the fall
of 1996". What was the trial for?. Was this for next album rehearsals?. 

It's not clear what it was exactly, but from the little Axl and Slash have said it was a trial period of whether they could get along so that Slash would join the new partnership Axl had announced he was forming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, Matt discussed this a little bit in his book. Slash came and tried to jam with the band, and the whole group had a big "talk it out session" which was supposed to be about the direction of the band. Apparently, Axl and Slash couldn't meet eye-to-eye on anything, and it ended up digressing into Axl bringing up old memories of how Slash and Duff wronged him in 1983-1986/87. Matt said, after a few hours, Slash got out of his chair and just left the building. It was the last time all of them were in a room together. 

10 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Actually, Matt discussed this a little bit in his book. Slash came and tried to jam with the band, and the whole group had a big "talk it out session" which was supposed to be about the direction of the band. Apparently, Axl and Slash couldn't meet eye-to-eye on anything, and it ended up digressing into Axl bringing up old memories of how Slash and Duff wronged him in 1983-1986/87. Matt said, after a few hours, Slash got out of his chair and just left the building. It was the last time all of them were in a room together. 

Yes, but then Matt says that after that conversation Slash went to tour with Snakepit, so he probably conflates the time Slash left to do the Snakepit thing and the time he permanently quit the band. I think it's more likely the argument he describes happened before Slash left for his tour (so late '94/early '95) and not before he left for good, because Slash has mentioned a big fight he had with Axl before the Snakepit tour during which many previous grievances had been brought up.

• Like 2