Steven Adler You Could Be Mine

oshrøse

On 30.7.2020 at 11:45 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll send you the Mates rehearsal soon.

Is it the studio instrumental version of Locomotive like the one from Estranged? I always thought these were the exact versions finally released on UYI, just without vocals. I didn’t know Steve did the drumming on these instrumentals. 

Or am I wrong and there is another version of Locomotive?  If so, I would be very happy to hear it :-)

6 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Is it the studio instrumental version of Locomotive like the one from Estranged? I always thought these were the exact versions finally released on UYI, just without vocals. I didn’t know Steve did the drumming on these instrumentals. 

Or am I wrong and there is another version of Locomotive?  If so, I would be very happy to hear it :-)

No it's not the studio demo, I'll send it to you too.

3 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I remember seeing this when it first aired, I was floored. I didn't even realize it was Steven at first.

He sounds kinda the same except his speech isn’t as slurred anymore. His hair threw me off tho it was so short

On 7/30/2020 at 2:12 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Why "for sure"? He likely did write the basic drum part, but not exactly the same as what ended up on UYI.

Is there a list of all the UYI songs Steven played on? Demos or rehearsals? I guess it would look something like this, but I might be missing some:

Don't Cry (played live 1985-86, demo)
Back Off Bitch (played live 1985-86, demo)
YCBM (demo)
Perfect Crime (played live 1985-86)
Coma (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Locomotive (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Don't Damn Me (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Dust N' Bones (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Garden Of Eden (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Bad Apples (Mates rehearsal 1989)
Ain't Goin' Down (played live 1985-86)
Bad Obsession (Axl said they wrote it a year before Mr Brownstone)
Civil War
maybe November Rain and probably some covers?

I didn't know there was a recording of Bad Apples and Coma with Steven from Mates. I've only heard the few songs that used to be on YouTube.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:10 PM, Blackstar said:

The song was written during the Appetite sessions and a journalist said he'd heard a demo of it when GnR were in England in June 1987.

Duff testified in Steven's lawsuit trial that he wrote the drum part and showed it to Steven. Matt also said in a 1993 interview that Duff came up with the idea of the intro drum beat, although I think in a later interview he said he wrote it himself.

I think he said he wrote the opening fill that leads into the beat (but not the beat itself), that was after playing it a bunch of times and then he decided to add the fill for a laugh and the guys told him to keep it.

13 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think he said he wrote the opening fill that leads into the beat (but not the beat itself), that was after playing it a bunch of times and then he decided to add the fill for a laugh and the guys told him to keep it.

Matt's own version of SCOM lol

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 10:06 PM, Blackstar said:

Here is the full video of this:

He looked terrible here... "The secret is don't do drugs" he says when he's bone thin from drug use. 

I always thought they put him on probation and then when that failed they kicked him out. Didn't realise they wrote him out of the partnership (the buzzword of the week😄) and tried to take his royalties. Is this segment accurate?

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah (I posted the quotes on the previous page).

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I always thought they put him on probation and then when that failed they kicked him out. Didn't realise they wrote him out of the partnership (the buzzword of the week😄) and tried to take his royalties. Is this segment accurate?

The first part is accurate. Those were the terms of the probation: they expelled him from the partnership and made him an employee, and if he could pull it through within the probation period he would have gotten his partnership rights back, otherwise he would have been fired.

The second part doesn't seem accurate. According to the reports at the time of the trial, which had Steven's lawyer as a source, the probation contract didn't touch his publishing royalties. What probably happened was that his royalties were withheld when he was on probation and he was given a fixed amount of money for his expenses. 

I had written a long post about all this here:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah (I posted the quotes on the previous page).

The first part is accurate. Those were the terms of the probation: they expelled him from the partnership and made him an employee, and if he could pull it through within the probation period he would have gotten his partnership rights back, otherwise he would have been fired.

The second part doesn't seem accurate. According to the reports at the time of the trial, which had Steven's lawyer as a source, the probation contract didn't touch his publishing royalties. What probably happened was that his royalties were withheld when he was on probation and he was given a fixed amount of money for his expenses. 

I had written a long post about all this here:

Thanks for the detective work!!😃

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 7/26/2020 at 9:21 PM, Rodri99 said:

Steven's intro to the song is similar to the final version on the Record. I gues Matt just made a few changes, but the drums on the track were already done by Steven. Like they said this song was done in the AFD Era.

omg that dude sings amazing im shocked

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 1:21 AM, Rodri99 said:

Steven's intro to the song is similar to the final version on the Record. I gues Matt just made a few changes, but the drums on the track were already done by Steven. Like they said this song was done in the AFD Era.

But Steven didn't appear on the final record for YCBM