Wow...Tom Petty and Axl

DurhamGirl

Wow I have just watched Axl dueting with Tom Petty and Axl was just phenomenal!!   Axl, back then, was the most exciting performer ever and nobody has managed anything similar since...

Anyone who saw Guns back then (apart from being very lucky) what was your experience like?

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Like 1

Axl had joined Tom Petty onstage in New York about 10 days before the VMA performance. Based on the audio recording, that NY performance of Free Falling was even better. Axl also sang KOHD with Tom Petty's band there.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Yeah, a lot of people really like that duet. I find it to be more of a mixed bag. At least Petty didnt run off the stage the second it ended, like The Boss did. lol

I adore the voice Axl uses in the verses. Might be the most 'real' Axl singing we've gotten, along with Its Alright. Like thats how he'd sing along to that song at home. Its neat to feel like you get behind the veil of his epic vocal performances. There a purity to it. And it sounds beautiful.

Im not into the banshie scream chorus though. It seems unrehearsed. (I have a faint recollection that this may in fact be the case).

And then Axl mucks up the break down section and bails on it.

Its cool when Petty starts harmonizing him - it was weird how long they sang in unison for, imho.

I love seeing Axl dance like that on someone elses stage. He comes in like 'Im Axl f'n Rose, I do the snake dance, scream my ass off, and you all fucking love it!' :headbang:

So Bruce high tailed it after the song?😄  Didn't know that, hilarious.  I guess he didn't like their performance. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

So Bruce high tailed it after the song?😄  Didn't know that, hilarious.  I guess he didn't like their performance. 

Haha, yeah. He does the showbiz greeting with Axl before the band even stops playing, and thats also really awkward imho. Then he gets his guitar off and literally jogs off the stage without a proper acknowledgement to the band or the audience! I think the jogging part is maybe to be polite to the audience by not forcing any applause from them. But I dont think Ive seen anything like it, in terms of a seasoned performer running off stage without acknowledging the audience! 

11 minutes ago, soon said:

Haha, yeah. He does the showbiz greeting with Axl before the band even stops playing, and thats also really awkward imho. Then he gets his guitar off and literally jogs off the stage without a proper acknowledgement to the band or the audience! I think the jogging part is maybe to be polite to the audience by not forcing any applause from them. But I dont think Ive seen anything like it, in terms of a seasoned performer running off stage without acknowledging the audience! 

Oh, Van Morrison is pretty infamous for doing that.😄 The Killer himself, Jerry Lee Lewis, did it too. Actually, Jerry Lee did it with Bruce and the E Street band at the HOF concert in Cleveland. But just to see Bruce and Axl, two of my all timers, onstage together was awesome.

• Like 1

'87 - '94 Axl duets were sublime.  There isn't one of them where I thought Axl was out-performed by his singing partner.  

It didn't matter if it was The Boss, Jagger, Elton, Bono, Tyler, or Petty - Axl came with his A game with the intent to take over.  

It was glorious!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Axl had joined Tom Petty onstage in New York about 10 days before the VMA performance. Based on the audio recording, that NY performance of Free Falling was even better. Axl also sang KOHD with Tom Petty's band there.

Holy shit, I never had any idea that they performed together before the VMAs, let alone the fact that there's audio of it! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soon said:

Bruce didn't want to perform, It's Axl who persuaded him to do the song. But yeah it's weird and the performance isn't half bad.

• Like 1

I think you guys are reading too much into it. Axl was offstage before Bruce and it seems like Bruce just wanted to follow Axl quickly. Whilst doing this he had a smile on his face. I think he really enjoyed the performance but thought the whole event wasn’t the right setting to remain on stage after the end of the song. Take in mind that the audience wasn’t his casual fans but lots of other celebrities. In fact, I think it was smart that both, Axl and Bruce, immediately left the stage. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 4

As it turned out to be Axls' last performance for many years and all the negative stuff that was going on in his lifek maybe he was in no fit state to hang around.  As they had no idea they were going to perform beforehand I thought they were both pretty good.

18 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Oh, Van Morrison is pretty infamous for doing that.😄 The Killer himself, Jerry Lee Lewis, did it too. Actually, Jerry Lee did it with Bruce and the E Street band at the HOF concert in Cleveland. But just to see Bruce and Axl, two of my all timers, onstage together was awesome.

Oh, I guess he's in good company then. Id heard that Van suffers anxiety. Gonna have to look up some Jerry Lee Lewis runs though! lol

55 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh, I guess he's in good company then. Id heard that Van suffers anxiety. Gonna have to look up some Jerry Lee Lewis runs though! lol

Yeah, check that HOF show, iirc he just walked off the stage leaving Bruce and the boys playing and smiling.😄  Also, Slash played a great version of Red House with Boz Scaggs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27.7.2020 at 11:19 PM, soon said:

I adore the voice Axl uses in the verses. Might be the most 'real' Axl singing we've gotten, along with Its Alright. Like thats how he'd sing along to that song at home. Its neat to feel like you get behind the veil of his epic vocal performances. There a purity to it. And it sounds beautiful.

I adore that voice too and I don't understand why he didn't use it more (or doesn't use it more if he still sounds like that). Makes me kind of sad we don't have many recordings of him singing like that.

Yes, it's not as unique as the screaming/screeching raspy singing he's famous for, but his more 'natural' singing voice is really nice and very pleasant to listen to.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, loke212 said:

I adore that voice too and I don't understand why he didn't use it more (or doesn't use it more if he still sounds like that). Makes me kind of sad we don't have many recordings of him singing like that.

Yes, it's not as unique as the screaming/screeching raspy singing he's famous for, but his more 'natural' singing voice is really nice and very pleasant to listen to.

I would love an album with mainly that voice. Ideally over some cool ass Izzy Stradlin songs. That would be the best route for an older version of GnR in my book, instead of stuff like Shacklers. But what do I know. :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

God and did that turn into an event with Axl and Vince talking planning to have a fight on a suitable date to both of them...I wonder if it was real or a publicity thing.

Idk about the event thing but there was def dislike between Guns and Motley. Except Slash and Nikki Sixx they always seems to be friends.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, lame ass security said:

Jerry Lee was a madman! They’re lucky he even bothered to show up lol. Love that cat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

God and did that turn into an event with Axl and Vince talking planning to have a fight on a suitable date to both of them...I wonder if it was real or a publicity thing.

I'm pretty sure it was real but it was hilarious.  I remember seeing Vince on MTV challenging Axl to a fight, too bad it never took place. I don't know who I would've put my money on, I would've had to check the height and weight.  I think Vince might've been a little bigger than Axl but Axl had the crazy as hell factor going on.😄