Interview with Frank (Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon)

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

But there are going to be interviewers who will try and trip him up and ask questiins he doesnt want to answer. If you cant answer honestly whats the point of doing them. I thought the question, or answer wasnt going to be a click bait article.

I liked the old band when interviewed they would air their dirty laundry going on in the band at the time. It may not have been appropriate but was always honest!. 

I agree, it is lame. 

One of the troubles is that they still seem to pursue that old "being mysterious" fad that was kinda cool around 2002 but now only gets people frustrated, especially in the times of the internet. Combine it with the distant "management" team and here we are, having drummers not being allowed to talk about playing drums on songs... 

Another obvious trouble is the undeniable hierarchy in the band, where - unlike the old times - they are far from being equal, since you got the 3 main guys (or two + Duff?) and then the hired (albeit long-term) guns. Again, combined with the management's awesome skills and communication, we're screwed once again. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I cant understand to evade answering a question he would say "speak to management". Why?. Does he think TB would answer it anyway?. If thats the sort of answers he gives why does he bother doing interviews?. Lets be honest if a new album gets released he sure wont be in charge to do or get asked to do  interviews. 

In all fairness it was an interview about him and what he was doing.  Not an interview about what GNR is doing.  He has an album coming out with Pisser but they really didn't go into what the songs were on there.  If you were a big Pisser fan you would have found that interview lacking in details about new music.

Frank does great interviews.

5 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I agree, it is lame. 

One of the troubles is that they still seem to pursue that old "being mysterious" fad that was kinda cool around 2002 but now only gets people frustrated, especially in the times of the internet. Combine it with the distant "management" team and here we are, having drummers not being allowed to talk about playing drums on songs... 

Another obvious trouble is the undeniable hierarchy in the band, where - unlike the old times - they are far from being equal, since you got the 3 main guys (or two + Duff?) and then the hired (albeit long-term) guns. Again, combined with the management's awesome skills and communication, we're screwed once again. 

Yeah i agree.

I think with how the band want to show themselves is they do no promo, only when its touring time apart from that nothing. No news, and no communication. I think either,

1. The band dont care

2. Or they are very old school like the old days and dont believe in social media etc. But thats bullshit because slash with SMKC very much embrace social media.

3. The band  think GNR has a very mythical status so therefore the bands past legacy keeps them in peoples minds and when something happens fans will be falling over themselves when anything gets communicated.

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah i agree.

I think with how the band want to show themselves is they do no promo, only when its touring time apart from that nothing. No news, and no communication. I think either,

1. The band dont care

2. Or they are very old school like the old days and dont believe in social media etc. But thats bullshit because slash with SMKC very much embrace social media.

3. The band  think GNR has a very mythical status so therefore the bands past legacy keeps them in peoples minds and when something happens fans will be falling over themselves when anything gets communicated.

I think it actually could be a combination of all three. As for Slash's solo, let's not forget that whoever is representing him in terms of PR, it's definitely not TB, that's the snag... 

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I think it actually could be a combination of all three. As for Slash's solo, let's not forget that whoever is representing him in terms of PR, it's definitely not TB, that's the snag... 

slash has competant management and PR. I would love to know his feelings on he feels this band is being managed, and TB in general.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

slash has competant management and PR. I would love to know his feelings on he feels this band is being managed, and TB in general.

Absolutely! If Matt didn't make it up (I don't think he did), we already know Duff's opinion on Nando, don't we? :D

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Absolutely! If Matt didn't make it up (I don't think he did), we already know Duff's opinion on Nando, don't we? :D

Agree i dont think matt made it up. Will be interesting what may happen with the dynamic of the band once this book gets released, in its current form.

Edited by Sydney Fan

16 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree i dont think matt made it up. Will be interesting what may happen with the dynamic of the band once this book gets released, in its current form.

Exactly, I mean, think about it: Duff badmouthed a) Frank, b) Fernando. That could be quite a pickle for the main core, right?

In fact, I still haven't quite abandoned the theory that the pdf somehow got to either Nando or Duff (if we could read it, why couldn't they?), and that's the main reason it got postponed. I wonder what the final version will look like... 

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Exactly, I mean, think about it: Duff badmouthed a) Frank, b) Fernando. That could be quite a pickle for the main core, right?

In fact, I still haven't quite abandoned the theory that the pdf somehow got to either Nando or Duff (if we could read it, why couldn't they?), and that's the main reason it got postponed. I wonder what the final version will look like... 

Duff didn't badmouth Fernando (according to Matt's book). Matt asked why Duff hadn't called him himself to make the guest spot offer, Duff replied he thought management could handle it. Matt asked "The ten-year-old?" (referring to Fernando) and Duff said "He's not ten anymore, he's thirty-five". That's all, there is nothing else about Fernando in the book.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah i agree.

1. The band dont care

I think it's because Axl doesn't want them to say anything and do press like a normal band does. It was cool at one point in time but not anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Duff didn't badmouth Fernando (according to Matt's book). Matt asked why Duff hadn't called him himself to make the guest spot offer, Duff replied he thought management could handle it. Matt asked "The ten-year-old?" (referring to Fernando) and Duff said "He's not ten anymore, he's thirty-five". That's all, there is nothing else about Fernando in the book.

I almost distinctively remember him saying something like "he can't even manage the band" or "he's useless" or something like that...? I'll have to take a look when I'm at home. 

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I almost distinctively remember him saying something like "he can't even manage the band" or "he's useless" or something like that...? I'll have to take a look when I'm at home. 

Hmm, I don't know, maybe you read it somewhere else? Because there isn't anything like that in the book.

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

10 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Just checked it - my bad, I must have confused it with something else (?!). So he only dissed Frank. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm 100% convinced it's new vocals. He can still do it in the studio (rock the rock) and this isn't a particularly difficult song for him to sing.

And I don't think there's any samples of Steven or anything like that on it too, I think it's all Frank. He probably listened to it and they told him not to change it up too much so that people would still think it's Steven, but it's pretty obvious that it's not. No recording of Steven playing that song (studio or live) sounds like that.

Why they can't just admit that it's a new recording and that they never released the supposed Mike Clink audition tape? I guess that's a question for their management :lol:

Whilst I hope you are right that he could deliver these kind of vocals in the studio - I’d be very surprised if they were THAT good insomuch it is like his AFD heyday.

If he can - then wow. But Rock The Rock was a much different vocal take than this - lower register/layered vocal.

As I say - we all hope he CAN do this in the studio!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think it's because Axl doesn't want them to say anything and do press like a normal band does. It was cool at one point in time but not anymore.

I dont know why the big3 could not have sittin down together and done an interview with an interviewer they could trust and just talk about the NITL tour, thanked those that attended and just a really casual interview.

I think if it was an all new recording they would say it and sell it as that. It's more likely it was only partly overdubbed/"improved" (the drums and lead guitar - since it turns out Steven was right about the drums, he was probably about the lead guitar, too) and this is why they didn't say it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

As I say - we all hope he CAN do this in the studio!

in the studio it should be fairly easy for Axl to sound great. He can sing a line, rest, sing the next one. Rock the Rock was just one thing and not for Gn'R. For all we know the way he sounded was intentional. He has many different vocal styles so maybe it was a choice. His ability as a singer has not degraded to the point (if at all) where it will be difficult for him to bring it in the studio imo.

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

in the studio it should be fairly easy for Axl to sound great. He can sing a line, rest, sing the next one. Rock the Rock was just one thing and not for Gn'R. For all we know the way he sounded was intentional. He has many different vocal styles so maybe it was a choice. His ability as a singer has not degraded to the point (if at all) where it will be difficult for him to bring it in the studio imo.

Agreed - he is versatile. I know he did the line by line approach for AFD (can’t recall if he did the same for UYI) but that just makes it harder to deliver live.

As I say - if he can deliver SOYL quality vocals on any new material I will be over the moon. We all will!

He doesn't have a problem with SOYL live, which is great. And the good thing about Rock the Rock is that it's in the middle register and yet has the famous rasp, which he hasn't done live since 2010, with the exception of AC/DC. Meaning, the album could be - will be! - absolutely awesome. 

18 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Meaning, the album could be - will be! - absolutely awesome. 

yeah, I share your optimism and when it's done, I'm sure Axl will enjoy listening to it very much and occasionally will even let the staff and close friends listen to it too.

• GNFNR 1

I always thought SOYL was a new recording. It would have gained more exposure if they’d admitted to it and released it as such.

Duff talking at the beginning sounds like a modern sober Duff.

Slash’s added licks were always the most obvious giveaway. He didn’t even try to disguise it.

Melissa likely contributed backing vocals.

I even think it’s at least partially a new Axl vocal recorded the same time as Rock the Rock.

As for a new album, excuse or otherwise, Frank has clearly stated that we can forget about anything until the pandemic is over. What we’re still left unsure of is if anything is coming then, but he kind of hints it will.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I think if it was an all new recording they would say it and sell it as that. It's more likely it was only partly overdubbed/"improved" (the drums and lead guitar - since it turns out Steven was right about the drums, he was probably about the lead guitar, too) and this is why they didn't say it.

I dont. Promoting it as an old song is inline with the bands tour merch mostly promoting the AFD era. Which smacks of potentially  axl worried about fans not accepting this lineup as a proper GNR evolution, and this lineup in its own right.

If the band had to rerecord certain parts because of the poor technology at the time, why not publically say so:shrugs:

Edited by Sydney Fan

Wasn't Shadow Of Your Love (the 2018 single) recorded in 1987 just before the AFD Recording Session with Mike Clink? I'm pretty sure, it's young Axl with his AfD voice. Drums and Slash's Lead is  re-recorded but Axl voice is from 1987