GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

4 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I read that article before actually, and I should have worded my post better. 

But I think the point still stands that there are over 11 million copies of the GnR greatest hits sold and at this point the record label will most likely make more profit off of a vinyl release than keeping it tied to CD.

Oh for sure. It's already widely available on CD so the logical way to make money out of it is to stick it on another format.  To be honest, I'd imagine they'll do a cassette release too. It's money for old rope. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh for sure. It's already widely available on CD so the logical way to make money out of it is to stick it on another format.  To be honest, I'd imagine they'll do a cassette release too. It's money for old rope. 

Yeah, you’d think they would’ve already announced a cassette version alongside this version too, actually. Oh well.

• Like 1

THis might have been covered in the thread already - apologies if so.

But didn't Axl (and from memory Slash), not like this at the time it was originally released?? Seem to recall Axl trying to block it as wasn't a representation of the band at the time (newguns), and seem to also remember Slash, and I think Axl too, later speaking about how collection of songs were pretty shit.

Wasn't it a way for the label to reap some $ from all the amounts they were sinking into Axl's new guns?

Anyways, necessary release imo, and time / effort / money could have been put into something more substantial with meaning. What about just a single small vinyl release of simply one new track, plus a classic, plus a deep cut / acoustic of a classic? - release it on record store day or in some limited capacity. That'd be more worthwhile imo (perhaps not lucratively but would get the fan base pumping, would have positive press, etc).

6 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

THis might have been covered in the thread already - apologies if so.

But didn't Axl (and from memory Slash), not like this at the time it was originally released?? Seem to recall Axl trying to block it as wasn't a representation of the band at the time (newguns), and seem to also remember Slash, and I think Axl too, later speaking about how collection of songs were pretty shit.

Wasn't it a way for the label to reap some $ from all the amounts they were sinking into Axl's new guns?

Anyways, necessary release imo, and time / effort / money could have been put into something more substantial with meaning. What about just a single small vinyl release of simply one new track, plus a classic, plus a deep cut / acoustic of a classic? - release it on record store day or in some limited capacity. That'd be more worthwhile imo (perhaps not lucratively but would get the fan base pumping, would have positive press, etc).

Yeah this was basically a cash grab by the label to recoup some of the money they lost on Chiense Democracy.  Axl said something like it would take focus away from CD so he filed a lawsuit and Slash and Duff joined in on the lawsuit.

There was a proposal of a 2 CD version of the greatest hits, you can even find the art work floating around out there...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Yeah this was basically a cash grab by the label to recoup some of the money they lost on Chiense Democracy.  Axl said something like it would take focus away from CD so he filed a lawsuit and Slash and Duff joined in on the lawsuit.

There was a proposal of a 2 CD version of the greatest hits, you can even find the art work floating around out there...

Ooh really??? I didnt know that. Upload the pic pls!!!!

On 01/08/2020 at 6:21 PM, tony adler said:

Agree, wouldn’t even be browsing here if it weren’t for that dude, thanks again sir, we have to fight to be fans of a band that makes their fans feel like assholes for even thinking about new music 

Keep fighting, Tony! We all admire your bravery.

3 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Huh? What time and effort do you think has been put into this by the band? Its the same album that came out in 2004. The "effort" is at the label, it was even their idea to put shadow on there. It's a vinyl version of an old greatest hits, these come out all the time, now it's Gn'r's turn.

Edited by DonkeyNuts

1 hour ago, DonkeyNuts said:

Huh? What time and effort do you think has been put into this by the band? Its the same album that came out in 2004. The "effort" is at the label, it was even their idea to put shadow on there. It's a vinyl version of an old greatest hits, these come out all the time, now it's Gn'r's turn.

Band, label, management, don't care. It's still effort, time, and money that comes out of a budget of sorts that elements would be associated with GnR, imo that small segment of budget, effort, etc could be directed towards something more productive from a Guns perspective.

8 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Band, label, management, don't care. It's still effort, time, and money that comes out of a budget of sorts that elements would be associated with GnR, imo that small segment of budget, effort, etc could be directed towards something more productive from a Guns perspective.

It was directed where the label wanted it to be directed. If they wanted to release a new single on Vinyl they would have done that. 

Edited by DonkeyNuts

3 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

So I haven't listened to greatest hits in probably a decade, I was looking at the track listening earlier today. How did Ain't It Fun get on there? lol

I can pretty much understand everything else, but why ain't it fun over nightrain lol

That always confused me too. I would’ve swapped out Ain’t It Fun for Used To Love Her. I know that one was technically never a single, but it just makes sense to include it on a Hits collection.

Back on topic; is it just the gold-splatter version of this release that’s delayed? Or are all four variations delayed too now?

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1