GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

10 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

This Greatest Hits set is a hastily thrown together package, a money grab. Perhaps anyone who gets a copy with the backwards photo will have a potential collector's item if UMG decides to fix it in the future.

I ordered the gold splatter version from Amazon, won't be shipping until October 9th at the earliest.

HMV already shipped (mine arrived Thursday). Why is Amazon so far behind?

19 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I was going to say that’s because there ain’t any CD songs on there...but notice Live Era is listed but no Live Era song.....

Can only imagine that because some of the songs on this Greatest Hits are on Live Era that’s why it’s listed.

No matter what anyone says, CD is a GNR album (as if Axl would allow it to be scrubbed) and it’s just not on here due to its nature - classic era/reissue.

A ‘Best Of’ in the style of the cancelled effort would have been a different story - that covered everything.

This is a total guess, but maybe it's because Chinese isn't in print anymore? Who knows, but that's my guess. 

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d be surprised if that was the case - I don’t think Spaghetti or Live Era are in print either? Who knows!

Oh yeah, you're right. My other guess was that maybe everything except Chinese is going to be reissues. As is the case with most things in GN'R: who fucking knows haha.

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh yeah, you're right. My other guess was that maybe everything except Chinese is going to be reissues. As is the case with most things in GN'R: who fucking knows haha.

FWIW, I asked Fernando about reissues on vinyl - including CD - and he said it was a possibility which is something I guess. I said CD should be available in the three different covers etc while I had his attention 😂.

Id be pretty peeved if CD was ditched from any reissues. From a Deluxe perspective you could argue a run of limited box sets priced correctly could be a massive winner with all the CD outtakes/demos/unreleased stuff etc. There is absolutely a core group of hardcore fans who would buy that - me included.

• Like 2

Ordered a colored vinyl in Europe, but it does not state on the packaging that it contains the colored variant (normally a sticker). Any way I can find out without having to open the packaging? Anybody have confirmation that the variant came with a sticker and I was sent the wrong one? I bought the vinyl strictly for display purposes.

23 hours ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Sorry, outside of SOYL, what's the difference between the two GH albums?

Nothing.

Side note: it’s pretty shitty imo that ChiDem isn’t listed as part of the catalog on the inner sleeve, but AFD Super Deluxe is. Pretty solid proof imo that the label sees 1997-2014 GnR as a different band.

Edited by rocknroll41

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Nothing.

Side note: it’s pretty shitty imo that ChiDem isn’t listed as part of the catalog on the inner sleeve, but AFD Super Deluxe is. Pretty solid proof imo that the label sees 1997-2014 GnR as a different band.

I don’t agree that’s the case - it’s not an official discography list and covers all the albums/releases which contributed to the Greatest Hits.

The outlier is Live Era as there is no live versions on Greatest Hits but that album has live versions of stuff on Greatest Hits so that makes sense. This is technically a reissue of GH which was out 4 years before CD.

If it was a career-spanning ‘Best Of’ it would have been included. And remember, the cancelled Best Of had CD tracks on it.

3 hours ago, The Black said:

Ordered a colored vinyl in Europe, but it does not state on the packaging that it contains the colored variant (normally a sticker). Any way I can find out without having to open the packaging? Anybody have confirmation that the variant came with a sticker and I was sent the wrong one? I bought the vinyl strictly for display purposes.

Nah there's no sticker or anything. Looks identical. But if you've only bought it not to open and put on display then I guess it doesn't matter anyway? Just assume it's the one you wanted! 

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It's just as likely it's just an oversight really, given the lack of attention that allowed the sleeve image to be printed the wrong way round! 

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I don’t agree that’s the case - it’s not an official discography list and covers all the albums/releases which contributed to the Greatest Hits.

The outlier is Live Era as there is no live versions on Greatest Hits but that album has live versions of stuff on Greatest Hits so that makes sense. This is technically a reissue of GH which was out 4 years before CD.

If it was a career-spanning ‘Best Of’ it would have been included. And remember, the cancelled Best Of had CD tracks on it.

That’s fair... Did the canceled Best Of really have cd tracks tho? I don’t recall that.

13 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

That’s fair... Did the canceled Best Of really have cd tracks tho? I don’t recall that.

I just checked and I was wrong - no CD tracks in it but it was due to be released In 2006 so two years before CD was actually released. If it was post CD I’d bet it would have something on there...albeit it had the ‘Nu’ logo etc.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59161.0

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I wonder why the 1998 single-disc version of UYI is never acknowledged in these things.

It’s a totally bizarre release - 7 years later etc. I’m sure it was specifically for Walmart or something and it was profanity free which is why it has an odd track list.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Pretty much spot on that review.

I agreed with the sentiment of the review but you cannot add Madagascar to Greatest Hits when it wasn’t even released as a single.....

CD could as it was a single. I’d have preferred a brand new Best Of encompassing the entire discography with a couple of unheard live tracks and an obligatory new track. But I’ll take GH on vinyl seeing as we never had one before.

21 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I agreed with the sentiment of the review but you cannot add Madagascar to Greatest Hits when it wasn’t even released as a single.....

CD could as it was a single. I’d have preferred a brand new Best Of encompassing the entire discography with a couple of unheard live tracks and an obligatory new track. But I’ll take GH on vinyl seeing as we never had one before.

Pretty much spot on this comment!

Yep I'd forgotten the review mentioned Maddy when I posted.

Agree!

• Like 1