GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

1 minute ago, soon said:

In the recent Guitar World article Im pretty sure Slash mentioned being disappointed that on Live Era there is/was an image of him playing left handed too? :lol:

At least SOYL is at the end of a side, so its easier to hit stop instead of skip it wth my shitty record player. 

Hard Schools lyrics would make it a no brainer for inclusion on a retrospective of the classic era like GH. 

Oh he'll be thrilled to see this then! 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, soon said:

In the recent Guitar World article Im pretty sure Slash mentioned being disappointed that on Live Era there is/was an image of him playing left handed too? :lol:

Yes, it's not in the Guitar World article, but he had said it in an interview after Live Era was released. And that wasn't the only problem in the first pressing: 

Slash: But, originally, we had guitars going in the wrong direction. I said, 'There's no left-handed players in this band!' I mean, it was really that green. I was looking at the picture of the Tokyo Dome in the CD sleeve, and I was going, 'I could've sworn the red tapestry was on the other side of the Dome.' But it's been a long time, so I let it go. Someone got a magnifying glass and found out that Marlboro and Coca-Cola signs were spelled backwards [laughs]. And I was like, 'I knew the blue tapestry was on my side of the stage!' Other than that, there's this picture of Axl that's the other way; someone brought to my attention that his tattoo is on the other side of his body. But the only problem I could relate to was which direction the guitar necks were going. Other than that, everything else is flyers from the old days, most of which I made. I remember poster-boarding those things all over the place when we were doing gigs, and going out and handing them out [laughs]. But the main problem on the first version of the live record was that the sequence was backwards. And when it came out-800,000 of them went out-Disc 1 was Disc 2, and Disc 2 was Disc 1. And then there was a loop on 'Paradise City,' where it just kept saying, 'Las Vegas.' [Laughs] And I found out about it when I was in Miami. I get this phone call, and I'm like, 'You're kidding me!' A one-in-a-million shot that that would ever happen, and it happens to us [laughs]. But it is a collector's item, because when they made the new one they changed the new cover around a little bit, so anybody who has the old one, hold on to it. [Player Magazine (Japan), March 2000] 

:lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This would've been a cool thing to re-issue in 2016, but at this point I don't really care.

I agree, it's a little too late at this point.

33 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Way too many covers...

Is SOYL technically a cover?

It's a cover of their own song :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

LP1 – Side G

1 Welcome To The Jungle  
2 Sweet Child O’ Mine  
3 Shadow Of Your Love  
4 Patience

RIP soon's shitty record player :no:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! 

*Insert Thunder Chucker TV appearance fail gif here*

:lol:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I don't care at all for this. Not even a new version of a CD track or ONE brand new song makes this 100% not interesting imo.

That's a pretty fair take. It's odd that SOYL made it on but not a single CD track.

I'd really rather they put something actually new on this. Would buy in a second. 

Although I guess that 'Greatest Hits' are aimed more at casual fans than anything.

Part of me wonders if Hardschool was intended to be on here? 

• Like 1

A brand new double compilation featuring ISE, Brownstone, some of the UYI stuff such as Estranged and maybe Better and CD would have been far better. My biggest gripe has always been the amount of covers, which whilst hits, are hardly representative of the band; Ain’t it Fun and SFTD in particular.

1 minute ago, alstonuk said:

A brand new double compilation featuring ISE, Brownstone, some of the UYI stuff such as Estranged and maybe Better and CD would have been far better. My biggest gripe has always been the amount of covers, which whilst hits, are hardly representative of the band; Ain’t it Fun and SFTD in particular.

It made sense that they added SFTD at the time, more as a bonus track.

Fuck 

All we want is new stuff from this band but hey! they realeased a fart that was recorded on '88 so let's give them some more money for the same shit we've hearing the last 30 fkn' years!

I hope they are really working on something for this year besides a fkn re-released GH ...now on vinyl (wow) , with a wrong sided slash on the cover.

4 minutes ago, alstonuk said:

That almost happened in 2005 actually.

6 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

I thought it was originally a Hollywood Rose track...

Yes, as were Reckless Life and Anything Goes.

3 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

It made sense that they added SFTD at the time, more as a bonus track.

I get that, and it’ll be nice to have on vinyl, but for me it had no right to be there in terms of a career retrospective. 

11 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

That's a pretty fair take. It's odd that SOYL made it on but not a single CD track.

I'd really rather they put something actually new on this. Would buy in a second. 

Although I guess that 'Greatest Hits' are aimed more at casual fans than anything.

Part of me wonders if Hardschool was intended to be on here? 

Yeah I bet Hardschool got switched to SOYL at the last minute after Covid fucked everything up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

That almost happened in 2005 actually.

Yes, as were Reckless Life and Anything Goes.

I do remember things being mooted in ‘05 as a way of introducing the new band but it’s that long ago and so much has happened since that it’s completely gone from my mind! 😂

Edited by alstonuk