GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th

14 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Also aside from the actual tracks picked (I think it's fine hitting at the hits just could do with the likes of Estranged) the order of the songs sucks. 

Who puts SCOM as track 2?

Pretty sure msl confirmed the track order is based on when they became hits.

2 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

This is actually a cool idea. I kinda assumed that it was already available on vinyl.

I see they added SOYL and have the reasons:

INCLUDES THE BAND’S TOP FIVE HIT “SHADOW OF YOUR LOVE”

Why not just whack CD on there too?

Hoping that HD footage means we'll get more video re-releases like when the AfD boxset came out.

Do I wish there was a new single on there? Yes.

I agree. I feel like if they were going to update it slightly they should have just added in CD too (if not Better as well) just for completeness sake.

27 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Pretty sure msl confirmed the track order is based on when they became hits.

21 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

From when they charted on album-oriented radio, apparently.

But that doesn't make sense for SOYL.

And aside from that, it's a terrible way to order an album.

4 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

I don't get why they would rerelease an album that they once tried to prevent from getting released.

Because the band didn't want to release it but then it charted for 500 weeks so they reconsidered lol.

Edited by GNR_RNR
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I figure that they put SOYL in because they could fit it in as it's only 3 minutes long, whereas there wouldn't be space to fit in longer songs.

WHAT? My World is only 1:24 long! They could have opened with My World and ended with My World! Why must I always correct you, Blackstar, always!?!

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I figure that they put SOYL in because they could fit it in as it's only 3 minutes long, whereas there wouldn't be space to fit in longer songs.

Good point. Wouldn’t it have made sense though to wait until after the UYI reissue so that they could also squeeze Ain’t Goin Down on there? Pretty sure that song is also relatively short.

Then again, if they wanted to tour in 2020 then I guess they needed to get something out now.

So there are 4 releases that I am aware of:

The standard black

Picture discs (both of these still available at the gnr online store)

A gray, white, and red splatter vinyl from Walmart; can find it on their online store

A gold, white, and red platter vinyl available in the UK; here is one site that had it (sold out now): https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/Greatest-Hits-Gold-White-Red-Splatter-Vinyl/6MT90000000

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Good point. Wouldn’t it have made sense though to wait until after the UYI reissue so that they could also squeeze Ain’t Goin Down on there? Pretty sure that song is also relatively short.

Then again, if they wanted to tour in 2020 then I guess they needed to get something out now.

I don't think this can be considered or marketed as a "new" release by any stretch, let alone justify a tour. It's just an issue of a previous release in a format that it wasn't released before, and it's aimed at a certain market, that of the audiophiles who buy vinyl records. And since there was space for a song under 3 minutes, they threw SOYL in there. I think it's as simple as that.

It wouldn't make much sense in this regard to wait after the UYI reissue and put Ain't Going Down there, because that would be a reissue of GH in all formats, so the "new song" would be on two reissues at the same time.

Edited by Blackstar

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think this can be considered or marketed as a "new" release by any stretch, let alone justify a tour. It's just an issue of a previous release in a format that it wasn't released before, and it's aimed at a certain market, that of the audiophiles who buy vinyl records. And since there was space for a song under 3 minutes, they threw SOYL in there. I think it's as simple as that.

Yeah I reckon this is probably all it is really, thinking about it  It's of very limited interest, and most people will be unaware of it's existence I would imagine.

Not a day goes past without labels re-issuing old albums on coloured vinyl to lure people/mugs into buying them again. I think it's just come round to GNR's turn. It's probably as inconsequential as when AFD started appearing on coloured cassettes a while back. Just another quick 'give us your cash' job. 

• Like 1