Jump to content

GN’R Greatest Hits Vinyl - release Sept 25th


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn damn damn. GN'R has figured out how to get my money. The completionist inside me will not allow me to pass this up even though I don't need it at all. 

I am surprised there is any excitement about this at all.. I'll take a hard pass

Pass     Hard pass....   I don’t care how many more times they can repackage old music, not buying it!  

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

To be fair, it was a bigger hit than Ain't It Fun, Since I Don't Have You and Sympathy For The Devil.

I really don't get the appeal of this re-release though... it's an overpriced record full of songs you can already get on vinyl, that the band initially tried to block from release because it's a poor 'Greatest Hits' collection. There's not even anything interesting included like a live track or demo or (lol) new song. It's a completely useless release. :shrugs:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I suppose it’s purely about putting something out which they can probably do in relatively small volumes, get good markups and collectors etc will buy?

Plus - TSI and SFTD ain’t so easy to get on vinyl!!

I'd imagine it's entirely about wringing a bit more money out of past glories. Fine in a lot of bands cases.....but when it's all you've got, then there's a problem. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Coma16 said:

It's not a thing to get mad at. The lable is releasing something for a small select group of fans. If you like it then buy it, if not then don't. Cant imagine this would get in the way of another release (lol).

This. Its there if you want it. And personally, I want it.

As far as a new album. Well, they said they needed to figure out how. Theres the slightest chance that this is them exploring release options - 'will vinyl sell though?' They could be experimenting? They could even just be monitoring conversation to discover what percentage of the fanbase owns a record player? I dunno, just spit balling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the band is going to make any serious money off this, given that it's for a limited market. And, since there's talk about the number of covers, the more covers there are the less money a band makes, as the mechanical royalties go to the songwriters - unless the covers are the biggest hits, so they carry the album, which is not the case with GnR.

I also doubt Fernando is the mastermind (lol) behind this. He probably didn't even lift a finger. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

I just checked, and had no idea the price for TSI on vinyl had skyrocketed so high. Crazy.

SFTD is easy to find for $10-15 though.

I got lucky and got TSI about 12 months ago for about £50 (normal black vinyl). It’s normally 3x that.....mental.

Its utterly ridiculous that GNR has stuff out of print when they have such a small discography.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DTJ80 said:

I got lucky and got TSI about 12 months ago for about £50 (normal black vinyl). It’s normally 3x that.....mental.

Its utterly ridiculous that GNR has stuff out of print when they have such a small discography.

 

I think I paid about $15 for a sealed copy back in the mid-2000s... :lol:

I'm pretty sure they'll re-press TSI for the UYI box anyway... I just hope they don't remaster it, since it's already their best sounding album.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

I think I paid about $15 for a sealed copy back in the mid-2000s... :lol:

I'm pretty sure they'll re-press TSI for the UYI box anyway... I just hope they don't remaster it, since it's already their best sounding album.

That’s a bargain!

Yeah, agreed it will likely form part of the UYI like Lies was. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Swampfox said:

I feel the same way.  To me it's our CD box set.  And sadly it's probably the last new material we may ever hear.  Thanks Rick!

Agree, wouldn’t even be browsing here if it weren’t for that dude, thanks again sir, we have to fight to be fans of a band that makes their fans feel like assholes for even thinking about new music 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Not interested whatsoever lol. Part of me wishes you'd all boycott this kind of shit to force them to do new stuff but realistically that probably wouldn't work.

Same, and I agree about boycotting it.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think the band is going to make any serious money off this, given that it's for a limited market. And, since there's talk about the number of covers, the more covers there are the less money a band makes, as the mechanical royalties go to the songwriters - unless the covers are the biggest hits, so they carry the album, which is not the case with GnR.

I also doubt Fernando is the mastermind (lol) behind this. He probably didn't even lift a finger. 

 

 

Yeah it's probably all UMG.

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

To be fair, it was a bigger hit than Ain't It Fun, Since I Don't Have You and Sympathy For The Devil.

I really don't get the appeal of this re-release though... it's an overpriced record full of songs you can already get on vinyl, that the band initially tried to block from release because it's a poor 'Greatest Hits' collection. There's not even anything interesting included like a live track or demo or (lol) new song. It's a completely useless release. :shrugs:

 I think Since I don't have you was a bigger hit than SOYL, has over 70M on youtube and is played in radios all around the world. But yeah Ain't it fun and Sympathy for the devil never were close to be classified as "hits". Nightrain, Mr brownstone, Dead horse.. there are a lot of songs they could really call "hits" instead of this ones...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rodri99 said:

 I think Since I don't have you was a bigger hit than SOYL, has over 70M on youtube and is played in radios all around the world.

 

I was going by the chart positions on wikipedia, SOYL charted higher in the US & Canada than SIDHY and the other covers.

I've heard Mr Brownstone and Nightrain played on the radio way more times than anything from TSI...

Edited by Gordon Comstock
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I got lucky and got TSI about 12 months ago for about £50 (normal black vinyl). It’s normally 3x that.....mental.

Its utterly ridiculous that GNR has stuff out of print when they have such a small discography.

I found the orange vinyl TSI in a local record store in Amsterdam last year, paid €50. Quite lucky...

Edited by JY2016
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

From my recollection.... He hated the movie it was made for with passion. He also wanted to put his own spin on it but Axl wanted the song to sound more like the original which is silly. Why not use The Stones version then? And then there's Paul Tobias' overdubs. Slash hated that too. He didn't want to do the cover and he didn't like the final product. "That's the sound of the band breaking up," he said in VH1 Behind The Music in 2004. 

Oh thanks mate! I forgot all that stuff. I actually like their version, that’s not to say Slash’s vision for how the song could have been might have turned out better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JY2016 said:

I found the orange vinyl TSI in a local record store in Amsterdam last year, paid €50. Quite lucky...

Awesome. I never get that lucky 😂!

You must have been over the moon seeing that!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The gold vinyl looks really nice, but this seems like a strictly collector's thing to make a quick dime when the only change is the addition of SOYL; no new remixes or anything special besides pretty packaging.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...