Axl and Kurt...friends.

DurhamGirl

13 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

The more I read about Axl and Kurt the more I become convinced they had more in common than not and could have been great friends, two complex human beings that would have had an understanding of each other.   Anybody else think the same?

Well, I think being great friends might be a stretch. But I think they would be civil and appreciate each other's talents. Axl acknowledged he was a fan of Kurt but that was something Kurt didn't reciprocate.  I'm sure that hurt Axl on some level so he lashed out against him, understandably so. But who knows, maybe with Dave's mediation, they would've been friends. But I doubt it.😊

Edited by lame ass security

51 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I suppose conplexity does not lend itself to 'great friendship'.

A lot of it just has to do with ego, everybody wants to be "the man." Some musicians, or celebrities in general, have a problem acknowledging anyone else's talent. It's just an insecurity thing. Elvis was very uncomfortable around other famous people, he felt threatened. Or he just flat out didn't know or care who they were. Clapton visited Elvis backstage once and Elvis told him that his guitar player, the great James Burton, could give him some guitar lessons. Elvis wasn't being a smartass he honestly didn't know anything about Clapton. Or so he claimed.😊

It's hard to say what would be these days, the same way it's hard to say what kind of music/records would Kurt or even Freddie Mercury make in 2020s, if any. Although I'm sure that Freddie's quality would never attenuate. 

Maybe they'd bury the hatchet eventually and maybe not - I mean, did we foresee Axl and Dave Grohl becoming friends after those years? Anyway, we'll never know, that's for sure. 

Edited by jamillos

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Maybe they'd bury the hatchet eventually and maybe not - I mean, did we foresee Axl and Dave Grohl becoming friends after those years? Anyway, we'll never know, that's for sure. 

I doubt that they are really friends just because they joined each other on stage two times, which probably had more to do with Slash and Duff than Axl anyway.

As for Kurt and Axl being ''great'' friends, why? Because they had a couple of things in common? Most people can find a couple of things in common but that doesn't necessarily mean becoming ''great friends''.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I doubt that they are really friends just because they joined each other on stage two times, which probably had more to do with Slash and Duff than Axl anyway.

As for Kurt and Axl being ''great'' friends, why? Because they had a couple of things in common? Most people can find a couple of things in common but that doesn't necessarily mean becoming ''great friends''.

Well, we don't know, but it is a statement of some sort (what with the chair and all). 

I didn't say anything about "great" friends though. 

Just now, jamillos said:

Well, we don't know, but it is a statement of some sort (what with the chair and all). 

Yeah, I suppose they're friendly enough, but I kinda took what you said literally. But also, it's not like there was ever any bad blood between them, right? Except for that stupid VMA incident between GnR and Nirvana, but that really wasn't about Grohl anyway.

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, I suppose they're friendly enough, but I kinda took what you said literally. But also, it's not like there was ever any bad blood between them, right? Except for that stupid VMA incident between GnR and Nirvana, but that really wasn't about Grohl anyway.

Right. Still hard to say what the situation would be in Cobain's case. Axl was dissing Nirvana on stage too, but these things happenned 30 years ago, so I don't know. 

Just now, jamillos said:

Right. Still hard to say what the situation would be in Cobain's case. Axl was dissing Nirvana on stage too, but these things happenned 30 years ago, so I don't know. 

Of course, we will never know, but assuming that they could be great friends because of a couple of things in common is a bit of a stretch. And besides, Kurt was hard to become close with and didn't let many people in.

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Any two people on earth COULD be friends, you don't have to have things in common, its just to do with circumstances.

It can help when you have things in common obviously, but a lot of it has to do with chemistry as well.

Not to go off-topic, but it always fascinates me how you can have chemistry with one person and absolutely no connection with someone else who on paper might be a much better fit. I suppose there is no explanation for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It can help when you have things in common obviously, but a lot of it has to do with chemistry as well.

Not to go off-topic, but it always fascinates me how you can have chemistry with one person and absolutely no connection with someone else who on paper might be a much better fit. I suppose there is no explanation for it.

It can help but it can hinder too.  I find having shit in common with people can often make life quite boring, two people kinda agreeing with each other all the time, like for example I don't have any friends who share my taste in music and a great many who don't share a lot of my taste in cinema and art, very very few in terms of the latter.  But its cool though, kinda makes you realise that shit is periphery, you learn more from people you have less in common with, as long as you can connect on some level.  People are just people the world over I find, we have enough in common just being human beings for us to be able to forge relationships without having to share interests as well, though its not the worst thing in the world either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

It can help but it can hinder too.  I find having shit in common with people can often make life quite boring, two people kinda agreeing with each other all the time, like for example I don't have any friends who share my taste in music and a great many who don't share a lot of my taste in cinema and art, very very few in terms of the latter.  But its cool though, kinda makes you realise that shit is periphery, you learn more from people you have less in common with, as long as you can connect on some level.  People are just people the world over I find, we have enough in common just being human beings for us to be able to forge relationships without having to share interests as well, though its not the worst thing in the world either.

Oh for sure, especially in a relationship I find it important to have some things in common but not everything, because like you said... then it gets boring and it's almost like being in relationship with yourself. It's good to be able to learn from someone else and having someone who can broaden your horizon and show you things you're not familiar with. But it's also nice to watch a movie or go see a concert together that both can enjoy without one person constantly being bored because they are not enjoying themselves, which happens when you have two opposites and I imagine that getting frustrating sooner or later too. So, I think having a combination of both is probably the best.

Axl wore the Nirvana hat in UYI days. Axl spent weeks trying to get Grohls Teen Spirit snare tone for the recording of the track CD. (and CDs riff is clearly inspire by the same song).

Kurt and Chris flat out called Axl a misogynist and a homophobe. And told at least one story to support their claims.

Duff got in on the fight posturing with Chris, but was also happy to sit next to Kurt and chat on a plane ride shortly before Kurts death.

So I dont think Axl and Kurt could have been friends back in the day. But if they want to today, I guess they could have.

(Although Kurt strikes me as the type of punk who can chime off about lefty stuff but then goes full right wing 'covid is a hoax' all of a sudden :lol: So they could also be in a twitter beef! RIP)

51 minutes ago, soon said:

(Although Kurt strikes me as the type of punk who can chime off about lefty stuff but then goes full right wing 'covid is a hoax' all of a sudden :lol: So they could also be in a twitter beef! RIP)

This is a really funny thought :lol:

Krist Novoselic is already there:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/03/nirvana-krist-novoselic-praises-trumps-strong-and-direct-protest-speech

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

:lol:

Oh, thats right, Id forgotten about that (or maybe not completely forgotten and thats where I came up with my post?). To bad no twitter feud, lol. What a loon!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I don’t really think Kurt was ever “good friends” with anyone, really. The guy seemed way too cynical for his own good.

Mark Lanegan would be close. But both were junkies though, and holding up genuine friendships isn't a priority, they knew each other well before becoming too strung out.

OT - I think as both artists aged and matured, I can't see them being friends, but certainly a mutual respect as apposed to the juvenile angst of when there was 'beef' between them all.

13 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Mark Lanegan would be close. But both were junkies though, and holding up genuine friendships isn't a priority, they knew each other well before becoming too strung out.

OT - I think as both artists aged and matured, I can't see them being friends, but certainly a mutual respect as apposed to the juvenile angst of when there was 'beef' between them all.

Courtney was telling people that he didn't have any friends at the end of his life, but I doubt this is true. Dylan Carlson who he knew a long time was considered his best friend and he was there till the end, of course it probably helped that they were both heroin junkies.