Axl and Kurt...friends.

13 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Mark Lanegan would be close. But both were junkies though, and holding up genuine friendships isn't a priority, they knew each other well before becoming too strung out.

OT - I think as both artists aged and matured, I can't see them being friends, but certainly a mutual respect as apposed to the juvenile angst of when there was 'beef' between them all.

Courtney was telling people that he didn't have any friends at the end of his life, but I doubt this is true. Dylan Carlson who he knew a long time was considered his best friend and he was there till the end, of course it probably helped that they were both heroin junkies.

Eh, I dunno...maybe we could hang out a bit.  Go on a pontoon boat ride and watch the sunset perhaps.

We would definitely disagree on politics though! ;)

• Haha 1
On 8/3/2020 at 12:29 AM, DurhamGirl said:

The more I read about Axl and Kurt the more I become convinced they had more in common than not and could have been great friends, two complex human beings that would have had an understanding of each other.   Anybody else think the same?

Duff wrote in his book how he met Kurt on a flight to Seattle. Duff said Kurt told him how he suffered from panic attacks and black outs. Duff could confirm he felt the same way sometimes.

Anyway, Duff wanted to invite Kurt back to his home, but by the time he got his bags, Kurt was getting into a car. A few days later, Kurt committed suicide.

I think if Kurt had lived it's possible he and Axl would have realized how much in common they had. GNR made music history as did Nirvana. Kurt being young and possibly on drugs back then and that horrible wife of his, might have thought he would take over Axl's throne. Sometimes when you're young you're stupid. lol We all know that.

Anyway, I think sometimes with age brings more patience and knowledge. Axl is a perfect example of that.

• Like 1

I think Kurt would have had to seriously sober up, his drug addiction made him even weirder than he was.

But I think Kurt's big issue with Axl is the wife beating allegations.  

I dont think they would be friends.  but I'd bet there would be a truce between them for sure. 

on another note, does Axl really have many friends in the music industry?  I never hear of him hanging out with anyone other than Angus or Baz.....  doesnt mean he doesnt, I'm just asking

On 03/08/2020 at 3:29 PM, DurhamGirl said:

The more I read about Axl and Kurt the more I become convinced they had more in common than not and could have been great friends, two complex human beings that would have had an understanding of each other.   Anybody else think the same?

Axl was a fan. But yeah if Kurt was alive today I reckon they would be friends or at least respect each other. Dave Grohl and gnr are fine now.

images.jpeg-1.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

But I think Kurt's big issue with Axl is the wife beating allegations.  

Those allegations weren't made publicly before 1994. Courtney had worked as a stripper in L.A. and said she had told Kurt stories she had heard about Axl/GnR from that time.

on another note, does Axl really have many friends in the music industry?  I never hear of him hanging out with anyone other than Angus or Baz.....  doesnt mean he doesnt, I'm just asking

Billy Joel, too. He has been seen with other musicians (Lana Del Ray, the band The Kills, someone from Korn, etc.) but it's unknown how much he hangs out with them since he's private.

37 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Those allegations weren't made publicly before 1994. Courtney had worked as a stripper in L.A. and said she had told Kurt stories she had heard about Axl/GnR from that time.

You also had OIAM plus Axl was a major dick in general. It wasn't just Kurt or even the grunge scene that disliked him.

I think Axl embodied the rockstar lifestyle that Kurt wanted nothing to do with.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kurt-cobain-the-rolling-stone-interview-success-doesnt-suck-97194/

A few years ago, we were in Detroit, playing at this club, and about 10 people showed up. And next door, there was this bar, and Axl Rose came in with 10 or 15 bodyguards. It was this huge extravaganza; all these people were fawning over him. If he’d just walked in by himself, it would have been no big deal. But he wanted that. You create attention to attract attention.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Billy Joel, too. He has been seen with other musicians (Lana Del Ray, the band The Kills, someone from Korn, etc.) but it's unknown how much he hangs out with them since he's private.

He partied with "the man", Tom Jones, into the wee hours. Thought that was awesome.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He partied with the Black Eyed Peas once too lol.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think Axl embodied the rockstar lifestyle that Kurt wanted nothing to do with.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kurt-cobain-the-rolling-stone-interview-success-doesnt-suck-97194/

Some quotes from Chris Cornell

"Without saying anything negative about Axl [Rose], what I remember the most was Duff [McKagan] and Slash and everyone else being regular, sweet, warm guys in a rock band that just wanted to play rock music," recalls Cornell.

"And then, like, there was this Wizard of Oz character behind the curtain that seemed to complicate what was the most ideal situation they could ever have been in: They were the most successful and famous rock band on the planet. Every single show, hundreds of thousands of fans just wanted to hear songs. For some reason there seemed to be this obstacle in just going out and participating in that. That is what I remember the most. It's sad."

"There were two main things: First, they had this enormous aluminum stage with catwalks, and at the end of each catwalk was a teleprompter so Axl [Rose] could read the lyrics to his own songs," Cornell replied. "Which I thought was a little weird, since they only had two albums. The other thing was that you were not allowed to be in a hallway or anywhere where Axl might see you when he was walking between the dressing room and the stage... unless you were Chris Cornell. So, one day, I see a security guard walking him down this long corridor where there's no one except for me, and it's like they want me to see him. He's wearing his Axl Rose tennis shoes that say 'Axl Rose' on them and these teeny-tiny, painted-on red shorts, a backwards baseball cap and a fur coat that goes to the floor. And he just walks by and goes, 'Hey, bro!' And that was it. At that point, it's one of those moments where you think about your life as a comic book — and this isn't really happening."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

People in entertainment are all not fans of each other for varying reasons. Lots of time it is just stupid, cheap pr. This is not a big deal.. I cannot remember or care who threw the first shot; Axl or Kurt. What Axl said to Kurt about Courtney and Kurt told Courtney to  shut bitoch, ugh. Trashy . All three. Would Axl, Kurt, Courtney too be professionally cordial in not taking jabs at each other on social media today, who knows, who cares.

Who lives is the winner? I have a different spin on their feud 30 years ago. Axl won. He is alive and living. Kurt killed himself. Axl was the least of Kurt’s concern or trouble.
I am sure if any interviewer asked Axl today  about Kurt, he would say mild , nice things. Bland. He would , I guess, not talk of two crazy guys in 1990. What is the point? Axl is alive , well, and living . Life is for the living and not talking, bad mouthing the dead in cases like this.. Grohl loaned his throne to Axl.  Kurt had no issues with Duff  .Duff said he and Kurt were on a  flight to Seattle, chatted, and when Duff thought about , I forgot, sharing a ride with Kurt or inviting him to is house, something like that, , Kurt had left.. Kurt never left Seattle soon after that flight.

Edited by Amaya

I find the “Wizard of Oz” quote from Chris Cornell funny. The only other time Axl’s been referred to as “Wizard of Oz” is by Mick Wall in his book, W.A.R.: The Unauthorized Biography of William Axl Rose. I’m going to take a leap and believe Cornell read the book, and repeated Wall’s characterization of Axl. Also, with that quote Cornell was attempting to show solidarity with Slash regarding the whole GNR feud – whom he’d worked with. I tend to feel bad for any artist who took sides with any of the original members of GNR (prior to the reunion) because they walked into a situation blind. Ultimately, no one knows why their breakup occurred and the original GNR members used this as leverage to manipulate people. 😂😂😂I wonder what all these artists who took sides feel like now that Slash and Axl are reunited. I like to believe this is why Cornell tweeted a photo of his daughter with a “vintage GNR shirt”, as he put it, and ended the tweet with an angel emoji (in my mind I took that as Cornell being like, “truce! ✌"). Artists are always talking shit then seen hanging out together – total divas.

• Like 1

Wasn’t Kurt Cobain arrested for domestic assault?* I’ve always wondered were the characterization of Cobain as this babe in the woods in the world of rock ‘n’ roll came from. He really was a blank slate unto which rock journalists projected on. 

*By the way, I don’t mean to suggest Axl and Kurt would be homies ‘cause they were both charged with the same crime. Wife Beaters unite. 😂😂😂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, kingmojopin said:

Wasn’t Kurt Cobain arrested for domestic assault?* I’ve always wondered were the characterization of Cobain as this babe in the woods in the world of rock ‘n’ roll came from. He really was a blank slate unto which rock journalists projected on. 

*By the way, I don’t mean to suggest Axl and Kurt would be homies ‘cause they were both charged with the same crime. Wife Beaters unite. 😂😂😂

yup Cobain got arrested in March of 94 for this. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kurt-cobains-downward-spiral-the-last-days-of-nirvanas-leader-99797/

I think the reason he never gets called a wife beater is bc noone thinks Kurt could beat Courtney's in a fight. 

14 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:
5 hours ago, kingmojopin said:

yup Cobain got arrested in March of 94 for this. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kurt-cobains-downward-spiral-the-last-days-of-nirvanas-leader-99797/

I think the reason he never gets called a wife beater is bc noone thinks Kurt could beat Courtney's in a fight. 

It was in June 1993 (in March '94 it was a different incident where he was suicidal). It seems there was physical violence (and according to the police report Courtney had called 911) but they both dismissed it and no charges were filed.

https://ew.com/article/1993/07/23/domestic-disturbance-kurt-cobains-home/

(Courtney didn't pass on the opportunity to involve Axl :lol:)

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It was in June 1993 (in March '94 it was a different incident where he was suicidal). It seems there was physical violence (and according to the police report Courtney had called 911) but they both dismissed it and no charges were filed.

https://ew.com/article/1993/07/23/domestic-disturbance-kurt-cobains-home/

(Courtney didn't pass on the opportunity to involve Axl :lol:)

The gun reminded her of Axl?😄 I don't see a resemblance. 

• 3 weeks later...