Can you stomach Aerosmith ballads?

Towelie

What do you think of Aerosmith ballads?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

aerosmith in general never "quite" achieved musical perfection. Maybe it's because of the uninspired drumming?

Rocks is an excellent album though, I'm not too sure of the rest.

that said I love "I dont want to miss a thing". It's a great song.

the ballads on "another dimension" are trying too hard though.

They're alright, they are what they are, not my favourite songs in the world, I guess I have just always liked my music to be more subtle.  They're good enough though, I certainly don't have anything against, its just Aerosmith making sure to throw something in for the birds innit?  Personally, lyrics-wise, I prefer a song like Winter by The Stones, is as if not more effective than any of Aerosmiths gear and it does so without beating you over the head with its sentimentality, it just sorts of alludes to things and works just as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

The good:

You Saw Me Crying

Home Tonight

Hole In My Soul

Angel

The trash:

The rest.

BS. You wanna say that "What it takes" is trash? And "Cryin'", "Crazy" and "Amazing", "Janie's got a gun" and "Dream on"? Can't take you serious then. There doesn't come a Aerosmith ballad to mind that truly sucks. Sure, some may have been overplayed by now, but none of them is really bad, save, maybe, for the last album, which I don't really remember, as it hasn't really made that much of an impression on me.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

Is Amazing considered a ballad? Because it's not a love song but about addiction. But that is a really great song. Aerosmith has a great sense of melody and that translates even better in ballads and lyrically they aren't as cliché as most ballads out there, in my opinion. I think I Don't Want to Miss a Thing is awful, though, and they didn't even write it. 

These songs are great,

Hole In My Soul, Jaded, Girls Of Summer, Janie's Got a Gun, Crazy.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

Can't think of any I really dislike off the top of my head, although some of the ones on Get a Grip pale in comparison to the better ballads.

I'd like to mention "Face", which is a bonus on some versions of Just Push Play I think. Always liked that song.

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

BS. You wanna say that "What it takes" is trash? And "Cryin'", "Crazy" and "Amazing", "Janie's got a gun" and "Dream on"? Can't take you serious then. There doesn't come a Aerosmith ballad to mind that truly sucks. Sure, some may have been overplayed by now, but none of them is really bad, save, maybe, for the last album, which I don't really remember, as it hasn't really made that much of an impression on me.

I wouldn't call Amazing, Janies Got A Gun or Dream On ballads.

Cryin and Crazy are corny as fuck.

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing is 10/10.

Unbelievable tune in my opinion.

I always thought Hole In My Soul from the same era was so much better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I always thought Hole In My Soul from the same era was so much better.

Decent song, but I wouldn't say on the same level as I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. Just something about it man, I remember so well hearing it for the first time and immediately loving it. Great tune and Tyler is in fine voice, as he was around that era and into the Millennium. Perry seems to state that as being one the biggest accomplishments of their career, finally getting a number one and the impact that song had, though said if given more time, he feels they could have written that themselves, which makes me confused as I don't think they have any credit whatsoever musically on it and obviously the lyrics were penned by someone else. 

I get a little pick-me-up when tracks like Angel, What it Takes and Amazing come on the classic rock station. None of its gonna make your balls swing any lower though, are they?

All Aerosmith music sounds a bit clunky to me. Like these big elements all kinda squeezed together. When those huge baselines lock in just right with the huge drum sound in a well written ballad its like no other power ballads. :headbang: Other times it all seems like a bit much and then it feels forced.

Generally, lyrically their ballads are at least free of lines like "Some sweat hog momma with a face like a gent" which Im just as content hearing in a comedy club instead of sticking out like a sore thumb in what is otherwise rock n roll perfection! lol

Edited by soon

I've always found it ironic that a band like Aerosmith only had one number one hit, which was I Don't Want to Miss A Thing.

It also wasn't written by any member of Aerosmith. 

It's also terrible (IMO).  

I'll always have a soft spot for Crazy since that was my jam in grade 5 and 6.  Lots of awkward slow dances to that song.  

Amazon is fantastic.

Angel and What It Takes are also two of my favourites. 

Crying seemed redundant. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Generally, lyrically their ballads are at least free of lines like "Some sweat hog momma with a face like a gent" which Im just as content hearing in a comedy club instead of sticking out like a sore thumb in what is otherwise rock n roll perfection! lol

Yeah, he can be a pretty decent lyricist if he wants to and gets kinda deeper. I always loved those lyrics in Amazing,

That one last shot's a permanent vacation, and how high can you fly with broken wings? 

• GNFNR 1

It doesn't matter. It's Aerosmith.

Yes some songs like IDWTMAT aren't my favorite but it's part of the greater whole.

At least they don't do shitty 15 minute versions of songs like that, like when GNR plays their neutered cover of KOHD. Actually, the last time I saw Aerosmith, they didn't even play IDWTMAT which was super awesome.

Yeah and it depends on what you call a ballad I guess, because Wither, Kings/Queens, Mia, etc etc are all great songs. Does slower tempo always mean ballad? I guess that's up for debate.

• Like 2