Can you stomach Aerosmith ballads?

Towelie

What do you think of Aerosmith ballads?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Yeah and it depends on what you call a ballad I guess, because Wither, Kings/Queens, Mia, etc etc are all great songs. Does slower tempo always mean ballad? I guess that's up for debate.

Do people consider Kings & Queens a ballad? It's a great tune but not really a ballad... I guess you could say that about plenty of Aerosmith songs though.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do people consider Kings & Queens a ballad? It's a great tune but not really a ballad... I guess you could say that about plenty of Aerosmith songs though.

Kings & Queens is sorta like their Estranged, isn't it? I don't know if I would call either of those songs a ballad though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's an amazing tune. One of my favourite Aerosmith tunes, actually. It's no love ballad or power ballad, but still it's close to ballad area.

• Like 1

As a folky I know ballad to mean a song that tells a story. Think like, Talledega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. In folk music, ballads also tend to be slower, though not exclusively, because the audience needs to be able to follow the words and emotions of the story being told.

But especially if we say Power Ballad, I think we mean the arrangement of the music mainly. A songwriting formula?

10 hours ago, J Dog said:

I don’t know if it counts as a ballad but Seasons of Wither is great.

Great song but dont consider it a ballad. Well not a love one.

I like watching Seasons of wither video from their texas jam recording 78.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

On August 4, 2020 at 12:08 PM, EvanG said:

Yeah, he can be a pretty decent lyricist if he wants to and gets kinda deeper. I always loved those lyrics in Amazing,

That one last shot's a permanent vacation, and how high can you fly with broken wings? 

I've been thinking about this since reading your post the other day. They are gorgeous lyrics! And I also noticed for the first time while listening yesterday that it really perfectly tells the journey of addiction. The opening verse is so true in my experience of the world. So I was taken aback by the quality of thought as much as the quality of writing.

Really cool.

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

Aerosmith is an excellent band with an incredible career. Quite possibly the greatest American rock band of all time. Steven Tyler is a monster frontman who still sings at an unbelievable level. 

On topic; they actually have very few ballads I don't like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, action said:

they were a massive inspiration to slash for a reason

listen to rocks and tell me you don't hear appetite in it

Cool thing about Aerosmith is that they have two leadplayers in the band. Brad is more a technical player and Joe has more a distinctive style but they are both great. And they have so many classic riffs, Toys In The Attic, Last Child, Sweet Emotion, Combination, etc.

18 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

'Oooh, I don't like it, so they don't have a right to exist.' Millions disagree with you, so who cares?

You can still listen to their music, but since Steven Tyler has fallen off the stage a couple of times during his performance, I think his body is telling him he's too damn old to perform anymore.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

You can still listen to their music, but since Steven Tyler has fallen off the stage a couple of times during his performance, I think his body is telling him he's too damn old to perform anymore.

So I guess that means Axl should have been done decades ago since he took a couple of falls on the Use Your Illusion tour? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Well. And yet he can still sing, unlike Axl, who's body even more tells him to hang it up. And 50 % of the times Steven falls off the stage, he's pushed off by his guitarist.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well. And yet he can still sing, unlike Axl, who's body even more tells him to hang it up. And 50 % of the times Steven falls off the stage, he's pushed off by his guitarist.

Exactly. Any fan of Axl Rose has exactly zero ground to stand on when it comes to Aerosmith. 

• Like 1

Honestly, their ballads before Get a Grip all we’re pretty damn good. They all were unique and different, sometimes experimental. From Get a Grip on, they got very repetitive, following the same formulas. However, I enjoy them all pretty much.

Although it’s not a ballad exactly, more of an epic I guess, Darkness is a killer song. Done With Mirrors is under rated. Tyler really let it all out with his voice on that one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...