Massive Explosion in Beirut, Lebanon ( Fireworks/High Explosives Storage Facility)

Ace Nova

Local authorities say half of Beirut is either destroyed or heavily damaged, the financial toll is between 3 and 5 billion dollars 

An estimated 250.000-300.000 people have lost their home

We wanted to fly to Lebanon next spring, but now we might change our plans as Lebanon might be facing a humanitarian crisis 

1 hour ago, Axl_morris said:

Who's idea was it to have a fireworks factory near a storage facility of ammonia nitrate? 

I’m not sure if it was actually a factory.  Those were the initial reports but it was likely just a “fireworks” storage facility. 

I’ll edit the title. 

Ammonium nitrate is also used as a fertilizer in large scale farming. For me it adds another dimension to this horrible tragedy. Something that could nourish humans, destroyed humans.

Where I live we are forced to keep it in central, guarded, stockpiles instead of farmers all having their own smaller stockpiles, because people rob farmers to make bombs.

I dont know the details of this facility at all. But it does strike me as a tragedy of the human condition, if this outcome is the result of a similar need to stockpile in Lebanon.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

How’d you know so much about that shit, you ain’t a Brigade Rosse are ya? :lol: 

Just a guess from experience lighting off fireworks.  There's always "duds" that don't ignite, etc...especially when you have the big boxes of mortars that light off simultaneously.  Also, my uncle as a child went searching for "dud" fireworks (after a fireworks show)...found one, and the thing basically blew up in his hand, took part of his hand and chest off.  Nasty stuff at close proximity.

the explosion itself is one thing, it's the shockwave that ensues, that's the real monster.

it's what happens when a meteor hits the earth. the impact zone is obliterated of course, but the shockwave can stretch for miles and miles

Edited by action