Axl Rose has trademarked his own name

Obviously a panic move to make some more dosh due to  cancelled shows.  Or maybe retirement is on the cards so building up cash streams to pay the bills...

One trademarks ones own name simply to stop anybody else using it...

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Like 1

I'm surprised he hasn't done this before to be honest. Seems like a standard thing celebrities in any field would do. Is 'Slash' trademarked? It seems like it would/should be.

I did notice the other day that Wiki describes Axl as a record producer - not sure how long it's been like that. Mind you it also describes him as an 'activist' which I assume is based on his occasional cryptic tweets and rants! :rofl-lol:

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 08.37.08.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I'm surprised he hasn't done this before to be honest. Seems like a standard thing celebrities in any field would do. Is 'Slash' trademarked? It seems like it would/should be.

I did notice the other day that Wiki describes Axl as a record producer - not sure how long it's been like that. Mind you it also describes him as an 'activist' which I assume is based on his occasional cryptic tweets and rants! :rofl-lol:

I guess it could be stuff like this:

https://loudwire.com/axl-rose-reacts-indonesian-president-ignores-pleas-stop-executions/

35 minutes ago, alfierose said:

The record producer part is accurate - Brain talked about this in the below interview (starts at approx 30secs).

The activist part, however, is very much up for debate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alfierose said:

Slash is not trademarked (there are products trademarked as "Slash" by various companies, like furniture - same with "Axl"). 

I didn't think it was a common thing for musicians to trademark their own names, but I see it is. Many have done it for their solo music and/or for products (e.g. James Hetfield has trademarked his name for guitars and guitar accessories).

For anyone who is curious and has time to waste, click "Search our trademark database (TESS)"

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

and then use the first search option ("Basic Word Mark Search").

Edited by Blackstar
Replaced the link because the search page expires
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 11:08 AM, RussTCB said:

I am 1000% sure the trademarks will be used for everything EXCEPT new music. Probably more cheap merch or some sort of high end fashion line like the BS they had during the launch of NITL. 

Yeah. I'd like to say you're wrong... but... history and all that...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

what do you expect from fans of an incredibly lazy band and their incompetent management?

Irony and sarcasm can help against stressful situations. Don't grow up too fast and keep the "child" in you. Why do children build a sandcastle only to then destroy the sandcastle? Children are experience-oriented, not success-oriented. Success doesn't make you happy. Fulfillment makes you happy. We should think experience-oriented again. It makes us livelier and we don't fall into depression quickly.

Some of the jokes are okay but some of em take it too far and bcome annoying let's be real

9 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

what do you expect from fans of an incredibly lazy band and their incompetent management?

Irony and sarcasm can help against stressful situations. Don't grow up too fast and keep the "child" in you. Why do children build a sandcastle only to then destroy the sandcastle? Children are experience-oriented, not success-oriented. Success doesn't make you happy. Fulfillment makes you happy. We should think experience-oriented again. It makes us livelier and we don't fall into depression quickly.

I hear ya, I like to fall into depression slowly.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I couldn't agree with you more! Why is this whole world so repressive and won't even allow you to laugh, giggle, be silly and youthful, bring out your inner child, without seeming odd or "strange"...I have no idea. But I couldn't care less! I'll be strange, unconventional, youthful, childish, laugh, giggle, be youthful and silly no matter what another individual will say!

As for the topic, I even saw a Gn'R 500 piece jigsaw puzzle in a bookstore the other day! Will the next step be the creation of Axl Rose/Gn'R branded sex toys, whips, bondage outfits etc? :lol: 

Edited by Screamin' Demon

On 06/08/2020 at 5:46 AM, KURT19 said:

Finally.

Now we will get the opportunity to buy AXL ROSE* laundry bags, AXL ROSE* toy trucks, AXL ROSE* loungewear, AXL ROSE* bracelets and AXL ROSE* drinkware.  Maybe even AXL ROSE* thong undergarments and AXL ROSE* duvet covers if we are lucky!

Not sure about you guys, but I'm sick of GnFnR stuff anyways...

Maybe even cook books "welcome to the kitchen, how to cook by axl rose".

Or maybe Axls wants to write children books like other celebreties are doing. Probably figures if fernando can do it, so can axl. :facepalm:

• Like 2

Axl Rose children's book volume 1 "where did the top hat go?"

is it in Steven Adlers dressing room, under the huge pile of "snow"?

is it near the bar, the place where Duffs pancreas can no longer go?

is it in my bike shorts to make it look like my eggplant can still grow?

Oh there it is!  in the part of Susan's wardrobe that noone ever noticed!  where her boobies dont show!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2020 at 6:26 PM, Blackstar said:

It's not as unusual as I thought. I see others have done it, Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Iggy Pop, Steven Tyler... But all these are either solo artists or have released solo albums.

Thnks. I don’t  see anything unusal either. Surprising, he had not done this decades ago.

I  wonder if Slash has trademarked his look. Iconic figure. I am sure he has. Name too. Curly hair and top hat 🎩 is his identity. On stage persona.   You still see Axls and Slashs every Halloween.

I remember reading way back, Tina Turner had her legs insured. That is a common thing for entertainers to do depending on what they are known for or is their identity apart from their talent.

Edited by Amaya

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash is not trademarked (there are products trademarked as "Slash" by various companies, like furniture - same with "Axl"). 

I didn't think it was a common thing for musicians to trademark their own names, but I see it is. Many have done it for their solo music and/or for products (e.g. James Hetfield has trademarked his name for guitars and guitar accessories).

For anyone who is curious and has time to waste, click "Search our trademark database (TESS)"

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

and then use the first search option ("Basic Word Mark Search").

Thnx Blackstar.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Obviously a panic move to make some more dosh due to  cancelled shows.  Or maybe retirement is on the cards so building up cash streams to pay the bills...

One trademarks ones own name simply to stop anybody else using it...

This is so well written I wanna read it over and over.

25 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

This is so well written I wanna read it over and over.

Awww shucks...thanks.  I shall look up your posts and bask in your literary skills;)

Actually I wish I had not wrote that as I have no idea why Axl has trademarked  and my spur  the moment specualation is not something I normally indulge  in.

Edited by DurhamGirl
  • Thanks 1