Axl Rose in the studio in 1990 recording the Use Your Illusion albums.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Weeds come a long way, man. I can see why they used to call it grass.

No doubt.😄 It's interesting that the weed and bong are resting on top of a copy of Billboard magazine. You know a buzzed Axl is talking to someone going "Just you wait, about a year from now we'll be all over this fucker."

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, soon said:

Weeds come a long way, man. I can see why they used to call it grass.

To the standards of the time that actually looks like good shit.  You should see what crap weed looked like back then. 

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

To the standards of the time that actually looks like good shit.  You should see what crap weed looked like back then. 

Yikes! it looks almost like it has pine needles, like it would be course. I dont have any normal buds in my stash currently, things have changes that much here. I have Bubble Hash, Live Rosin (which I just learned of) and edible oils. Plus CBD buds which look gorgeous all trimmed up with purple tones and dark orange hairs covering it.

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its a pity there arnt more photos of the illusion recording sessions. Wonder if marc canter took any photos of that time period.

Yeah, Id love to see more! As far as I understand the band finished recording like a year before Axl was done with it. So I fear that pictures from the Axl year may have often been of an empty studio? Or a guy getting stoned and fooling around with synthesizers. (I might as well be talking about CD recording!).

I wonder if the weed was responsible for those immature and redundant lines like ''let me hear it now'', ''smoke 'em if you got 'em'', ''alright that sucked'', ''nothing but a fucking pussy'', ''maybe you'll do better next time, punk'', ''YEEEEAAAH'', and his disturbing climax sex noises in So Fine, or if he would have done the same thing without the weed?

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah, Id love to see more! As far as I understand the band finished recording like a year before Axl was done with it. So I fear that pictures from the Axl year may have often been of an empty studio? Or a guy getting stoned and fooling around with synthesizers. (I might as well be talking about CD recording!).

Yeah,  it seems theres not much written about this time period. I also thought the band were in record plant studios doing some recordings and either had

A) axl on the phone and axl giving feedback, or

B) band would record on tape, clink woukd make a dat copy and a runner would drive to axls to give him the tape.

Was the illusion recordings like how they recorded AFD. Band lays down their tracks and axl then puts down his vocals?.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah,  it seems theres not much written about this time period. I also thought the band were in record plant studios doing some recordings and either had

A) axl on the phone and axl giving feedback, or

B) band would record on tape, clink woukd make a dat copy and a runner would drive to axls to give him the tape.

Was the illusion recordings like how they recorded AFD. Band lays down their tracks and axl then puts down his vocals?.

That’s my understanding of it as well. 

I believe the basic tracks were done in a month? With the band minus Axl playing live in studio.

With exceptions though, such as Slash’s many overdubs and solos. That’s were I recall Axl being on the phone. That and mixing.

And then Matt also did the trilogy drums in a separate session with Axl. The caviar sessions lol.

I wish we had so much more info and pics!!

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

We have some information about that time period. Based on that, it went like this:

- In late 1989, the band finally got it together and went into pre-production. There were still issues with Steven though. They started recording the album with him in early 1990, but soon the sessions were halted.

- In or around March 1990 they tried other drummers, including Adam Maples and Martin Chambers, with the intention of scaring Steven off but also, if that didn't work, looking at recording the album with someone else. It didn't work out either way, and on March 28 they decided to put Steven on probation for a month as another effort to make him come round. During the same month Axl brought Dizzy into the band.

- During Steven's probation period they played Farm Aid with him and then recorded Civil War, which didn't go well (according to the band because Steven couldn't get his shit together despite the probation - according to Steven because the opiate blockers he was taking had fucked him up). Before Farm Aid, Slash and Duff went to see Matt playing with the Cult.

- In early to mid May 1990, after Steven's probation period had ended, Slash called Matt. They recorded KOHD with him for the End of Days OST and they rehearsed for 2-3 weeks so that he could learn the material. After that, according to Matt, Slash asked him to officially join the band.

- In July-August 1990, the actual recording with Matt started. According to Matt, more ideas came up during that time (probably the Locomotive outro was one of them). The basic tracks took likely about a month and a half.

- Then, probably around October, Slash went to the studio to record his parts and overdubs (which, according to him, took five weeks). A little later, Axl started recording vocals (although he probably had recorded some vocals already) and, for a period, Slash was working in one studio and Axl in another. Axl, in the meantime, had problems: Erin miscarried, then there was the incident with his neighbour in late October, and then the break-up with Erin.

- In December 1990, after Axl broke up with Erin, he moved into the studio to finish the vocals. He didn't work every day though, but when he felt like it. He spent Christmas there being in a bad state and friends (including Shannon Hoon) stayed there too to keep company and an eye on him.

- Around that time, probably in early 1991, Bob Clearmountain was brought in to do the mixing. According to Clearmountain, Axl's mind wasn't there and he would disappear for a week, Slash didn't go to the studio when Axl was there and they were talking over the phone. Finally, after Clearmountain had mixed 21 songs, they fired him.

- In March 1991, they got Bill Price to do to mixing, while the vocals hadn't been yet finished. According to Price, it took time because Axl and Slash wouldn't agree on the mixes. Then he finally managed to get Axl and Slash in one room to agree.

- In May 1991 the band went on tour and the remaining vocals, overdubs, production and mixing were done on the road.   

Thanks blackstar.

I beleive axl and erin were loving in a condo in west hollywood before the broke off. When he moved out and probably took residence in the studio, where was he living between touring may 91 and in 92 when he bought in malibu?.

17 hours ago, Blackstar said:

- In or around March 1990 they tried other drummers, including Adam Maples and Martin Chambers, with the intention of scaring Steven off but also, if that didn't work, looking at recording the album with someone else. It didn't work out either way, and on March 28 they decided to put Steven on probation for a month as another effort to make him come round. During the same month Axl brought Dizzy into the band.

I completely forgot they tried working with some other drummers. Those sound like very un-GNR names. But maybe had Matt not joined his name would seem out of place on a list too.

Anyone know who these guys were?

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Thanks blackstar.

I beleive axl and erin were loving in a condo in west hollywood before the broke off. When he moved out and probably took residence in the studio, where was he living between touring may 91 and in 92 when he bought in malibu?.

Axl had also bought the house in the Hollywood Hills when he was married to Erin (it's the one he gave the Famous Last Words interview from). He intended to have it as a family only home (and keep the condo as an office for his GnR business - and visits from friends etc.) but I don't think they lived there much as a couple, if at all.

I'm not sure where he lived in 1991 and 1992 (mostly during tour breaks) before he bought the Malibu house. Maybe he lived in the Hollywood Hills house until he sold it, or maybe he had rented a temporary place.

12 minutes ago, soon said:

I completely forgot they tried working with some other drummers. Those sound like very un-GNR names. But maybe had Matt not joined his name would seem out of place on a list too.

Anyone know who these guys were?

Martin Chambers was the drummer for the Pretenders. Adam Maples was in a band called The Sea Hags. Mike Clink had produced their album, so probably he was the one who had recommended Maples.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 2