"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

45 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Who cares if society has changed slightly resulting in a warning on Aliens. It is just a warning to make sure they have something to fall back on if they get criticised. The movie is still there. It is not going anywhere. 

People are acting so outraged over something that has no practical implications, this isn't Taliban destroying Buddha statues, it is just warning stickers on art over again. It will pass. 

Maybe large companies will refrain from sending/producing/airing stuff that has now apparently become controversial, that will just open up a market for smaller companies who aren't so afraid. As I said before, it is already like this with lots of fringe art, so if it it comes to that we will cope. No problem. 

Boo-hoo, Netflix won't send Gone with the Wind, twitter changes its language, one episode of Fawlty Towers won't be aired through one broadcaster. Boo-hoo. No, this isn't the end of anything, it signals a miniscule shift in societal values leading to segmentation of a service provider industry that could provable benefit from some fragmentation anyways. 

maybe it's just a phase, maybe not. Can you really be certain this shit is insignificant? even looking back on how people were talking 15 years ago and just the accepted behavior in the media for example, talk shows, etc, it was very different. It always changes but the current direction seems to be very extreme.

When small companies need to step up and provide a service that big companies won't provide anymore with what I consider to be a more level headed approach for ridiculous reasons, that does mean there is a negative shift in how the mainstream prefers to consume products imo.

If enough harmless shit becomes taboo, I think it can certainly get enough support to change things for the worse in the future. It's possible you'll still be able to consume whatever you want to consume but you'll have to invest more effort/time to get it and people in a position of power/celebrities won't even attempt to freely speak their minds anymore and that, among other things, could slowly affect society.

Edited by Rovim

Say something logical to a right winger and they cancel your post by responding with bizarre nonsense. 

I love being alive in these times, in no small part to behold the wonder of this type of mindless hysteria! :lol:

‘Things I don’t understand or like are cancel culture no matter about if there’s canceling or not’ is a notion that is somehow forming a small consensus :lol:

Cancel culture has actually  increased my options for entertainment. Drooling-twitter-obsessive is my new favourite genre. :lol:

the issues that offended people bring forth, are all futile. it is as with death: today you, tomorrow myself. and at the altar of death, there is no courtroom. everyone standing there at the altar of death, would have objections and reservations.... so it's better to just shut up.

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I am though. I’m a proper social liberal. I just think that anybody who doesn’t like Arnold Schwarzenegger should be kidnapped off the streets and re-educated. :shrugs:

arnold schwarzenegger has no place in popular culture, today. he fits like plier on a pig. see how out of place he looks in the newest terminator, next to those pussy characters. he looks almost clownesque.

he was a total badass in those 80s and 90s movies though, but that were different times. the movies were better, and so arnold was better. script / arnold mutually improved the movie, but nowadays scripts and woke culture work against him.

2 minutes ago, action said:

arnold schwarzenegger has no place in popular culture, today. he fits like plier on a pig. see how out of place he looks in the newest terminator, next to those pussy characters. he looks almost clownesque.

he was a total badass in those 80s and 90s movies though, but that were different times. the movies were better, and so arnold was better. script / arnold mutually improved the movie, but nowadays scripts and woke culture work against him.

Shut your whore mouth! Arnold is perfect! Fuck you! Eat shit and die! :lol: 

16 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I am though. I’m a proper social liberal. I just think that anybody who doesn’t like Arnold Schwarzenegger should be kidnapped off the streets and re-educated. :shrugs:

:lol:

Strange how all the politicians, commentators, and thinkers you talk about range from right wing (Hartley Brewer) to neo con apologist (Harris, Maher, Hitchens, etc). :lol: 

1 minute ago, soon said:

:lol:

Strange how all the politicians, commentators, and thinkers you talk about range from right wing (Hartley Brewer) to neo con apologist (Harris, Maher, Hitchens, etc). :lol: 

I just want to shag Hartley-Brewer. I don’t agree with her politics. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Whatever you say.

In topic:

Ea2MaUVXQAEYIlC?format=jpg&name=small

Aliens remains one of the best depictions of a central female character who isn't overly sexualised or just a sidekick for a man. It would be a shame if younger girls and women were put off watching it because it's deemed outdated now.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, soon said:

You listen on the radio... makes no sense :lol:

Okay, so just neocon adjacent then :P

I’m old and therefore a bit thick but could you give me a heads up on why a Bill Maher allegiance makes me less than liberal? Hitchens and Harris I largely agree with on religion but that doesn’t mean I agree with everything they have to say. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

I’m old and therefore a bit thick but could you give me a heads up on why a Bill Maher allegiance makes me less than liberal? Hitchens and Harris I largely agree with on religion but that doesn’t mean I agree with everything they have to say. 

What all three say - or lie about - on religion, mostly Islam, is primarily where they align with neo con foreign policy / war on terror stuff. Liberalism is antithetical to secular fundamentalism, just like any other form of fundamentalism, to begin with of course. 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

What all three say - or lie about - on religion, mostly Islam, is primarily where they align with neo con foreign policy / war on terror stuff. Liberalism is antithetical to secular fundamentalism, just like any other form of fundamentalism, to begin with of course. 

Cobblers! I’m too drunk to argue my case right now but I just need to reiterate. Bollocks! 🤣

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Maher is a liberal that believes in spreading liberalism by the barrel of a gun (I've heard it called "muscular liberalism"). He despises Islam not for any religious reason, but because it tends to be illiberal.

4 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Maher is a liberal that believes in spreading liberalism by the barrel of a gun (I've heard it called "muscular liberalism"). He despises Islam not for any religious reason, but because it tends to be illiberal.

In a Country where a centre-conservative party represents liberalism, sure Mahers a liberal. 

And he despises religion enough to lie about it in his movie. Mithras I mean.

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Cobblers! I’m too drunk to argue my case right now but I just need to reiterate. Bollocks! 🤣

Nah, thats the only reasonable response there is. Trying to wedge fundamentalism into liberalism is not a good use of ones time :lol:

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

What on earth is causing offence there? No black representation among the aliens? 

Was it because Hudson made fun of Vasquez asking if anyone had ever mistaken her for a man?.....was Vasquez transgender i wonder? we'll never know after she bravely blew herself to smitherines in that air shaft in deep space many moons ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

maybe it's just a phase, maybe not. Can you really be certain this shit is insignificant? even looking back on how people were talking 15 years ago and just the accepted behavior in the media for example, talk shows, etc, it was very different. It always changes but the current direction seems to be very extreme.

When small companies need to step up and provide a service that big companies won't provide anymore with what I consider to be a more level headed approach for ridiculous reasons, that does mean there is a negative shift in how the mainstream prefers to consume products imo.

If enough harmless shit becomes taboo, I think it can certainly get enough support to change things for the worse in the future. It's possible you'll still be able to consume whatever you want to consume but you'll have to invest more effort/time to get it and people in a position of power/celebrities won't even attempt to freely speak their minds anymore and that, among other things, could slowly affect society.

It is a phase if it hasn't support from a substantial fraction of the population. The way I see it, most people find the examples I mentioned silly, and the only reason they exist at all is because of pressure from a vocal minority or because companies are so afraid of public backlash that they act preemptively. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not denying that we aren't in the midst of societal change. We are. We always are. And some stuff that we found acceptable in 2000 is not acceptable in 2020. That isn't necessarily bad. If people are genuinely hurt by something then those things should perhaps not be found on every platform. It depends. The outrageous examples, the results of panicky overreactions, will likely return back to normal. Because as society we do accept stuff that offends the minority.

6 hours ago, soon said:

How are they fundamentalists? And for the record, I understand "fundamentalism" as a position where you aren't swayed by evidence, but it has different meanings so probably best to clear up any confusion on that term before we continue discussing how a guy like Maher would become a fundamentalist simply because of being wrong on something.

6 hours ago, soon said:

In a Country where a centre-conservative party represents liberalism, sure Mahers a liberal. 

So he is a liberal? Yet Dazey isn't a liberal because his opinions partly overlaps with those of Maher's?

you're a liberal, you're a neocon, you're a leftie, you're a right winger, you're a fascist...

people sure like to throw around labels, objectifying people. You're not a human, you're a right winger.

is it to easy our mind?

"Damn, that's some worryingly pertinent shit that guy is saying. Maybe it is me who is wrong? Oh, it's ok. He's a right winger." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1