"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

I think I can see how the black community in the USA has had a hard time for the last centuries.

black people start at a disadvantage in life, there is no doubt about that.

I'm a white male, so in theory I had a headstart.

the reality is, I was always picked on at school, and didn't get any opportunity handed to me, ever. Even the teachers joined in the bullying, and actively tried to get me out of university, flatout denying my capabilities.

Hell, even my own  mum didn't think much of me.

I didn't even complain once though. 

Everyone is handed out "talents" at birth. One more than the other. But even starting out with "0", you can become a millionaire.

you don't succeed in life by moaning and complaining. you succeed in life by overcoming all the barriers to success, by your own hard work. And that's exactly what I did.

The way I see it: if you are healthy, and you're poor, then it's all your own fault. You are lazy, and a loser. Society has no time for losers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

...or the most likely scenario being a bunch of kids that “think” they know what they’re protesting about but in fact....don’t have a clue....

:P

Vicky Cornel has confirmed that this act had nothing to do with protests or riots and that it was the act of a lone, unwell, person who is set on besmirching his legacy.

I guess she didnt even think to mention that earlier, because most people arent obsessed with Trumps boogeyman, anitfa :P

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, soon said:

Vicky Cornel has confirmed that this act had nothing to do with protests or riots and that it was the act of a lone, unwell, person who is set on besmirching his legacy.

I guess she didnt even think to mention that earlier, because most people arent obsessed with Trumps boogeyman, anitfa :P

Well, I guess that’s “good news”.  lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, action said:

the reality is, I was always picked on at school, and didn't get any opportunity handed to me, ever. Even the teachers joined in the bullying, and actively tried to get me out of university, flatout denying my capabilities.

Hell, even my own  mum didn't think much of me.

Sounds shitty. Must have been incredibly hard at the time. But whats cool is that through the screen you dont seem to carry a lot of emotional baggage about it into adulthood. I know too many adults who are so clearly still hurting and havent done the work to heal themselves. They build up so many layers of fucked up ways of interacting with people that are supposedly for self preservation but objectively fuck things up for themselves. Always on guard, really toxic ways of engaging people. It really doesnt make one want to do them any favours. So it becomes a self reinforcing cycle almost. 

Whereas you come across to me as being really grounded and can even have a laugh at your own expense. Its great!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, soon said:

Sounds shitty. Must have been incredibly hard at the time. But whats cool is that through the screen you dont seem to carry a lot of emotional baggage about it into adulthood. I know too many adults who are so clearly still hurting and havent done the work to heal themselves. They build up so many layers of fucked up ways of interacting with people that are supposedly for self preservation but objectively fuck things up for themselves. Always on guard, really toxic ways of engaging people. It really doesnt make one want to do them any favours. So it becomes a self reinforcing cycle almost. 

Whereas you come across to me as being really grounded and can even have a laugh at your own expense. Its great!

well thanks. message boards are a bit of innocent fun to me

but sadly, the scars are there. i can't engage in normal social interaction, I dont have real life friends, and I've long stopped trying.

but I have a wife and kid, I'm sure there's a lot of people doing worse than that. it's all good. I'm happy.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, action said:

well thanks. message boards are a bit of innocent fun to me

but sadly, the scars are there. i can't engage in normal social interaction, I dont have real life friends, and I've long stopped trying.

but I have a wife and kid, I'm sure there's a lot of people doing worse than that. it's all good. I'm happy.

Im sorry to hear that. But I still think the way you conduct your self on screen shows lots of strength and happiness.

For me, I just want "A simple and uncluttered life, a good life" in the words of Jerry Garcia. And while I would be open to having a partner, Im serious about the uncluttered life part and havent met someone who'd easily slot in. So the more my social circle gets married the more of an outsider I am. 

Marriage appears to be a fuck load of work and the thought of it makes me down right claustrophobic. Id want my own room! lol So Im happy that it suits you and makes you happy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Im sorry to hear that. But I still think the way you conduct your self on screen shows lots of strength and happiness.

For me, I just want "A simple and uncluttered life, a good life" in the words of Jerry Garcia. And while I would be open to having a partner, Im serious about the uncluttered life part and havent met someone who'd easily slot in. So the more my social circle gets married the more of an outsider I am. 

Marriage appears to be a fuck load of work and the thought of it makes me down right claustrophobic. Id want my own room! lol So Im happy that it suits you and makes you happy!

Words of wisdom from Mr. Garcia. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Id want my own room! lol

Oh god yes. Because the women essentially take over and redecorate. I'd know what would happen: guitars, fishing gear and books thrown in the loft; Bruce Lee and Hitchcock posters torn down. It is usually a floral frilly looking room you end up with ultimately, smelling of jasmine!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh god yes. Because the women essentially take over and redecorate. I'd know what would happen: guitars, fishing gear and books thrown in the loft; Bruce Lee and Hitchcock posters torn down. It is usually a floral frilly looking room you end up with ultimately, smelling of jasmine!

Get a woman who won't do that, then?

11 hours ago, soon said:

the key is to have a room of your own. I have one, and my wife doesn't even want to come in there. the rest of the house is for her to decorate. The flipside is that all my stuff needs to be in that room, which requires some inventivity from time to time. you gotta think vertical, the ceiling is the limit. Also it'd be wise to factor in strenght theory as books tend to weigh a ton and you don't want the attic to collapse.

the rest is fairly straightforward stuff. Just say yes to whatever she says, and you'll come a long way. cook her some nice meals, do some chores around the house, do some effort, and the benefits will roll right in. I'm talking about sex of course. I don't think I've asked for sex for more than a handfull of times, in the 7 years that we're married. I know what I need to do to be rewarded. As time goes on, you tend to know your gal.

I used to be claustrophobic about marriage too. A lot, in fact. But I've been two weeks alone when I needed to work and my wife was at sea with the kid, only coming home for the weekend, to know that I couldn't miss them anymore. I felt more gutted as the days went on. And I'm a real recluse by nature. You just gotta find the right gal. Or she needs to find you, which was the case with me. before her, there were countless of dates, all akwkard, long silences, all that shit. With her, there were silences too, but it didn't seem to matter. that's when we both knew, we were good for another 50 years.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And this is connected to "cancel culture" because?

Cancel culture has many sides. There are those who want to cancel Gone With The Wind. And others who want to cancel gays, women and none white people rights

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Cancel culture has many sides. There are those who want to cancel Gone With The Wind. And others who want to cancel gays, women and none white people rights

But this was the opposite? Ah, your point is that Diesel is guilty of "cancel culture" towards gays by reacting negatively to a train painted in the pride colors. Got it now.

• Like 1