"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No, just media who loves kooks.

Its all money, the media outlet gets paid, the kook gets paid, it has nothing to do with the culture which we live in, its Weekly World News stuff, ever read that paper?  Hitler is Still Alive in South Africa, Bear Boy Found in Nairobi etc etc, its breeze.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Its all money, the media outlet gets paid, the kook gets paid, it has nothing to do with the culture which we live in, its Weekly World News stuff, ever read that paper?  Hitler is Still Alive in South Africa, Bear Boy Found in Nairobi etc etc, its breeze.

I agree.

No, I haven't read that paper. Sounds like something that would just annoy me :lol:

Was listening to Brittany Spanos' interview with Katy Perry and in the preamble Spanos described many of Perrys previous career moves, videos and award show appearances as "cancelable." Thought it was an interesting term.

Anyways, of course Perry is not cancelled, which is also perhaps noteworthy. Much like the case with Grimes, cancelled isnt an end point, its a temporary state of being within the world of pop music. If you get cancelled it means that you have been blessed with the opportunity to have an exciting comeback. Basically, a social phenomena has been commodified and is now simply a consumer experience. A thrilling one at that.

And its not a new experience either, its a retelling of Girards The Scapegoat. And in this version the consumer is given the opportunity to finally see their sacrificed idol as human and then offer them the christian telling of the scapegoat tale, by forgiving them. As a commodity, this story arch invites one to pay to consume the following chapter. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

we live in amusing times. until they start deporting people to camps of course.

it's not the first time darwin was canceled. His assertion that "man evolved from monkeys" didn't sit well with certain people

the truth hurts

4 minutes ago, action said:

it's not the first time darwin was canceled. His assertion that "man evolved from monkeys" didn't sit well with certain people

the truth hurts

Except that Darwin hasn't been "cancelled". Nothing has happened, just a museum having to claim they will look into its collections after having received a complaint and media making a case of it. Wake me up when scientists start rewriting Darwin's theory of evolution.

6 minutes ago, action said:

His assertion that "man evolved from monkeys" didn't sit well with certain people

Still doesn't :lol:

17 minutes ago, action said:

the truth hurts

It is a disturbing world. I am not sure you have been viewing events in Britain but a free press, the cornerstone of any democracy, cancelled by Extinction Rebellion,

Story, https://news.sky.com/story/extinction-rebellion-protests-at-printing-presses-stop-millions-of-papers-being-delivered-12064057 Comment, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/09/05/extinction-rebellions-assault-free-press-attack-democracy/

Even moreso during kung flu, a lot of people, older people especially, rely on newspaper distribution to disseminate news. 

PS

What makes it more disturbing is it has been endorsed by sitting Members of Parliament! Labour obviously who are now loonier than even the Lib Dems.

Edited by DieselDaisy

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Except that Darwin hasn't been "cancelled". Nothing has happened, just a museum having to claim they will look into its collections after having received a complaint and media making a case of it. Wake me up when scientists start rewriting Darwin's theory of evolution.

I see BLM have destroyed a statue of your Hans Christian Heg who died at Chickamauga fighting for the Union?

He was an ehh abolitionist! 

Edited by DieselDaisy

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is a disturbing world. I am not sure you have been viewing events in Britain but a free press, the cornerstone of any democracy, cancelled by Extinction Rebellion,

Story, https://news.sky.com/story/extinction-rebellion-protests-at-printing-presses-stop-millions-of-papers-being-delivered-12064057 Comment, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/09/05/extinction-rebellions-assault-free-press-attack-democracy/

Even moreso during kung flu, a lot of people, older people especially, rely on newspaper distribution to disseminate news. 

PS

What makes it more disturbing is it has been endorsed by sitting Members of Parliament! Labour obviously who are now loonier than even the Lib Dems.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in condemning any attacks on the free press, but surely this is not a new thing? Attacks on printing presses, journalists, newspapers, etc, has been going on for as long as they have existed. Charlie Hebdo immediately springs to mind.

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

PS

the reason is of course, that it is much easier to manipulate digital information post factum, than information on paper.

in the not so distant future, investigators will have an easier time looking up what people in the 60s were saying, than what people in the social media era were saying.

I still have a letter of my granddad, written to my mum in 1967.

Do you still have your emails from, say, 10 years ago? it's all lost in the ether, never to be retrieved or referenced.

Paper will become a danger to the government: it is hard to deny.

But a webpage? Simple, couple of mouseclicks and it's gone. And even if that's not the case, you can always shred doubt on an internet message, claiming it was digitally altered, hacked or otherwise manipulated. You see a webpage at this moment: was it that was two years ago? impossible to tell. Every bit of information is of a passing nature.

Try to look up articles where scientists screwed up at the start of covid, telling people mouth masks don't help. Good luck finding them now, let alone in a couple of months. The statement of the day is that they are mandatory, and that is what will show up in search results.

A digital -only society is the dream of dictators.

Edited by action

my hand written diary will be a beacon of trust in a sea of fleeting internet nonsense. it will serve as a warning to the people of the future (and myself, for that matter), that they are being misguided and lied to. black on white, my diary says that experts told everyone that mouth masks don't help. it can not be changed, it will long survive all attempts by the left to change the truth.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I can't remember any experts saying that.

it doesn't really matter what you remember. what matters, is what is written on paper on the day it was communicated. Validated information like that, written on paper, impossible to change post factum, is invaluable. "Truth" becomes an increasingly rare and expensive commodity.

3 minutes ago, action said:

it doesn't really matter what you remember. what matters, is what is written on paper on the day it was communicated. Validated information like that, written on paper, impossible to change post factum, is invaluable. "Truth" becomes an increasingly rare and expensive commodity.

An opinion on paper isn't more correct than an opinion on the Internet. Truth has nothing to do with the medium. 

And history can be revised and rewritten, and webpages aren't as temporary and fleeting as you make it seem. 

Good words die last and spread anyways. 

excerpt from my diary, from around the start of the epidemy:

" march 2nd, 2020 - thoughts. 

-We're 3 days in quarantaine already because of the corona virus. We have let our son stay home from school. The government is lax in their attitude towards the virus. We're lucky to have received a doctor's note for our son.

march 5th, 2020.

- the belgian government doesn't want to tell where the infected live. in the netherlands they do. Again, a measure that could make people more alert, isn't taken. The official reason is "it doesnt help to prevent further spreading of the virus", but the reality is of course, the economic damage it could cause. Because people in the affected region wouldn't want to go out shopping anymore.

- Schools aren't closed yet, again, official reason: it wont help to prevent spreading the virus. But the real reason is: people can not take care for their own children, they would have to stay home from work, it will damage the economy. Every measure the government takes, always has as a sole purpose to benefit the economy.

The government still encourages people to travel, to go to public gatherings etc... not to help spread the virus, but to benefit the economy.

Italy has been enacting this policy for a couple of weeks now, and the results are devastating: an explosion of infections today, and many deaths. The italian economy is broken now, and so they could as well take the necessary measures to benefit public health. But this is much, MUCH too late. My god, it's like war. The effects will manifest for a long time to come. How will the public take the inadequacy of the government? What will be the reaction?"

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, action said:

excerpt from my diary, from around the start of the epidemy:

" march 2nd, 2020 - thoughts. 

-We're 3 days in quarantaine already because of the corona virus. We have let our son stay home from school. The government is lax in their attitude towards the virus. We're lucky to have received a doctor's note for our son.

march 5th, 2020.

- the belgian government doesn't want to tell where the infected live. in the netherlands they do. Again, a measure that could make people more alert, isn't taken. The official reason is "it doesnt help to prevent further spreading of the virus", but the reality is of course, the economic damage it could cause. Because people in the affected region wouldn't want to go out shopping anymore.

- Schools aren't closed yet, again, official reason: it wont help to prevent spreading the virus. But the real reason is: people can not take care for their own children, they would have to stay home from work, it will damage the economy. Every measure the government takes, always has as a sole purpose to benefit the economy.

The government still encourages people to travel, to go to public gatherings etc... not to help spread the virus, but to benefit the economy.

Italy has been enacting this policy for a couple of weeks now, and the results are devastating: an explosion of infections today, and many deaths. The italian economy is broken now, and so they could as well take the necessary measures to benefit public health. But this is much, MUCH too late. My god, it's like war. The effects will manifest for a long time to come. How will the public take the inadequacy of the government? What will be the reaction?"

Why do you write your diary in English? And well done on transcribing all that in 12 minutes. 

Seeing as we're sharing ''quarantaine'' diary entries from early March...

March 2, 1944

Dearest Kitty,

Margot and I were in the attic together today. I can't enjoy being there with her the way I imagine it'd be with Peter (or someone else). I know she feels the same about most things as I do! While doing the dishes, Bep began talking to mother and Mrs. van Daan about how discouraged she gets. What help did those two offer her? Our tactless mother, especially, only made things go from bad to worse. Do you know what her advice was? That she should think about all the other people in the world who are suffering! How can thinking about the misery of others help if you're miserable yourself? I said as much. Their response, of course, was that I should stay out of conversations of this sort.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do you write your diary in English? And well done on transcribing all that in 12 minutes. 

it's written in dutch, but I believe that wouldn't be ideal for these purposes.

Some parts are written in english actually. I find, I can sometimes express myself better in english. Dutch seems a bit wonky at times.

Edited by action