"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

4 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Cancel culture is toxic to society and it will give Trump four more years. Can’t wait for the meltdown

Sure, because saying "Fake News" isnt a form of cancel culture. Including literally trying to cancel that CNN reporter from the white house. 

I guess you lot actually love cancel culture! "Lock her up" and all. 

16 hours ago, downzy said:

So I'm going to push back on some of the criticisms of cancel-culture (I know, shocking).

I think we need to be careful about what exactly we're talking about when we throw around terms like "cancel culture."

What exactly do people think is cancel culture?  How effective do people think it is?  

For me the concept of cancel culture is over-simplified.  It's such a meaningless concept and employed usually by those who wish to avoid responsibility for their actions.  

This brings up a good point - a lot of what we call cancel culture is just the same criticisms and protests that people have always felt, except now the internet allows a public platform for it and given the way social media is structured it gets amplified. But it still doesn't amount to much. The use of the word "culture" implies that a very large amount of people are participating which is really not true. Relative to the entire population, it doesn't take that many people to get #BoycottGoya trending on Twitter, for example. 

4 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Don't know. Everyone seems to be happy to brush John Lennon's domestic abuse under the rug. Elvis basically groomed Priscilla, then was an awful husband and father. Is it impossible to be posthumously cancelled? 

I'm a big Beatles fan and a massive Elvis fan, yet I've pointed those things out to people many times. It's so odd to me that some people get a pass on cancel culture and others don't. 

3 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

There isn't going to be a satisfactory resolution to this. We're discovering our heroes are human. 

Perhaps we should be more weary of putting people on pedestals in the first place? 

It's a shame that we often remember the best-intentioned of people for their mistakes. We all go through hard times in life and mess up. One thing I don't think I've disclosed on this forum before, is that my mum had a long-running affair, which wasn't revealed until after her death. I loved her to bits, and she was a wonderful mother, who sacrificed so much for her family. She had high moral standards and did lots of volunteering as well as working and raising us. 

All it took was meeting a new man and going through a rough patch with my dad.

The affair made my teenage years miserable, and I've been working on forgiving her for the past ten years. I'm trying to remember the good she did and not the hurt she caused. Because if there's anyone who witnessed her love, it was me. 

My mum's memory shouldn't be tarnished by her affair. It was a very stupid, selfish mistake. The best I can do right now is parent my daughter as well as she parented myself. I can't have her picture up in my house. I don't talk about her. She wasn't acknowledged at my wedding. 

Let's recognise the humanity in everyone, even if they're not showing it. We can regonise good actions, by flawed, complicated, hurting people. 

And that's my overall thought: human error is never going to be a thing of the past, yet cancel culture is allowed to pretend that it shouldn't exist. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1

I got a chance to read up on the thread and there were a lot of great posts. 

My overall worry about cancel culture is that it seems we're quickly moving towards a point where no one can speak their mind for fear of "being cancelled". 

Music alone has been completely sterilized as an art form. It's been stated in the thread already, but an album like AFD would never be releseed today. There's no artist that would dare make it and even if there were, there's absolutely no record company that would put it out. All because they're scared of getting hit with "being cancelled". 

To me, cancel culture seems to be leading us to a place where no original thought can be shared for fear of offending someone. That scares the hell out of me, especially because it's effected an art form that I love so dearly. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Cancel culture is toxic to society and it will give Trump four more years. Can’t wait for the meltdown

Something that is toxic to society and will benefit Trump? No shit! :lol: 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Music alone has been completely sterilized as an art form. It's been stated in the thread already, but an album like AFD would never be releseed today. There's no artist that would dare make it and even if there were, there's absolutely no record company that would put it out. All because they're scared of getting hit with "being cancelled". 

Aren't albums more problematic than AFD released every week though? Rap lyrics are far "worse" than anything GNR ever wrote in terms of glorifying violence, objectifying women, etc.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I got a chance to read up on the thread and there were a lot of great posts. 

My overall worry about cancel culture is that it seems we're quickly moving towards a point where no one can speak their mind for fear of "being cancelled". 

To me, cancel culture seems to be leading us to a place where no original thought can be shared for fear of offending someone. That scares the hell out of me, especially because it's effected an art form that I love so dearly. 

One hates to see anyone stressed by society. Society is a mammoth and I think we all want to feel at peace with it. Its in that spirit that Id like to point out that AFD wasnt released how the band wanted. So far as I understand that is so it wouldn't get canceled? Maybe this stuff isnt so new after all?

Jerry Lee Lewis was cancelled for a decade too.

I think you'd agree with me that Big Jay Oakerson gives no fucks what the twitterati thinks? I doesn't seem like it to me at least. :headbang:

Hopefully this post is received in the sprit of encouragement that its intended in! 

Edited by soon

I saw an interview with Desus and Mero where they were asked about the evolution of their content. They said that when they started out, they were less aware of the wider world and assumed they were only speaking to people like themselves. But as they grew in popularity they'd get dm's about how something they said hurt a fan. So they were more than happy to learn and grow as people because they had no interest in hurting people.

We cant just turn around and cancel dissenting voices because we say they want to cancel us. Its a danger on both sides of any conversation. 

We need to democratize the commons. And that will require some people to step back and listen. Its not victimization to be challenged on positions. Everyone gets a voice and everyone gets to be safe (except nazis).

Edited by soon

50 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Something that is toxic to society and will benefit Trump? No shit! :lol: 

The lefties did it to themselves they had a chance to be non crazy and Trump just completely broke their minds. BTW this didn't start with Trump. I just scroll threw twitter and the interwebs and am amazed at how much free real estate the guy has.

3 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Here is what people like you believe.

A million genders

Communism works

Canada is  a great place to live:P

There shouldnt be a period after the word "believe" in your post since it was introducing a list.

Its neat to get this insight into a Murican mind fed on propaganda, though. Thank you. :lol:

1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

Aren't albums more problematic than AFD released every week though? Rap lyrics are far "worse" than anything GNR ever wrote in terms of glorifying violence, objectifying women, etc.

I get your point, but how is that far worse than GN'R? Weren't you they talking about the same things? Lol 

1 hour ago, soon said:

One hates to see anyone stressed by society. Society is a mammoth and I think we all want to feel at peace with it. Its in that spirit that Id like to point out that AFD wasnt released how the band wanted. So far as I understand that is so it wouldn't get canceled? Maybe this stuff isnt so new after all?

Jerry Lee Lewis was cancelled for a decade too.

I think you'd agree with me that Big Jay Oakerson gives no fucks what the twitterati thinks? I doesn't seem like it to me at least. :headbang:

Hopefully this post is received in the sprit of encouragement that its intended in! 

I have no idea who that is, but if it's a comedian who isn't afraid to do comedy due to cancel culture, then that's great. 

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

On a personal/social level, what you have to do is; not care about that. Keep it real at all times regardless of repurcussions, which imo everyone should be doing by default unless they're full of shit.

I've found that being sincere and honest will garner mostly love anyway - and some hate but that's from the people this litmus test has revealed to be losers anyway. I guess it comes down to, do you want to please everyone? Personally, I don't. If you try to do that you please no one particularly yourself. On an artistic level you have to strive for this same attitude or you're more of a politician than an artist.

It is what it is. Navigating the world.

I personally am not worried about anything I say or do. What I'm worried about is the future of my entertainment due to that fact that everyone in society decides they're going to be offended by every single thing now. 

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have no idea who that is, but if it's a comedian who isn't afraid to do comedy due to cancel culture, then that's great.

Yeah, he works the roast battle scene like Jeselnick. Check him out! 

Im curious about your thoughts on the AFD cover being cancelled?

Rose Tico, a racialized female character in Star Wars, was cancelled by whining pussies. 

Her most famous line of dialogue was literally reciting what Luke learned in the original Star Wars Trilogy - that we win by saving what we love. Luke learned that when he went to destroy Vader, but then his love lead him to save his father.  Its the entire Star Wars ethos. But somehow it was lame when she said it, lol. 

A hyper-manly, swashbuckling adventure film, SOLO, was also cancelled by some of the same specimens. :lol:

30 minutes ago, soon said:

Rose Tico, a racialized female character in Star Wars, was cancelled by whining pussies. 

Her most famous line of dialogue was literally reciting what Luke learned in the original Star Wars Trilogy - that we win by saving what we love. Luke learned that when he went to destroy Vader, but then his love lead him to save his father.  Its the entire Star Wars ethos. But somehow it was lame when she said it, lol. 

A hyper-manly, swashbuckling adventure film, SOLO, was also cancelled by some of the same specimens. :lol:

That film was released. It was terrible but it was released. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

That film was released. It was terrible but it was released. 

Something has to not be released to fall victim of cancel culture?

Rowlings tweet that you keep crying over was released? So I guess youll have to self-soothe about that now, having stated this definition of cancel culture.

SOLO was awesome, y'all just couldnt see it through your tears. Er, excuse me your man-tears :lol:

Just now, soon said:

Rowlings tweet that you keep crying over was released? So I guess youll have to self-soothe about that now, having stated this definition of cancel culture.

SOLO was awesome, y'all just couldnt see it through your tears. Er, excuse me your man-tears :lol:

That is the film with some guy pretending to be Han Solo? 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Solo sucked balls.