"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I'd start a thread on Cancel Culture to gather some opinions.  Personally, I cannot stand it. It seems nearly every day, someone, some company or some product is "cancelled" because they

I got a chance to read up on the thread and there were a lot of great posts.  My overall worry about cancel culture is that it seems we're quickly moving towards a point where no one can speak th

Thanks 🤣    Trying to cancel or erase cinema (the most collaborative art form there is) because someone problematic worked on it is just fucking stupid. It’s book burning level stupid. I r

Posted Images

excerpt from my diary, from around the start of the epidemy:

" march 2nd, 2020 - thoughts. 

-We're 3 days in quarantaine already because of the corona virus. We have let our son stay home from school. The government is lax in their attitude towards the virus. We're lucky to have received a doctor's note for our son.

march 5th, 2020.

- the belgian government doesn't want to tell where the infected live. in the netherlands they do. Again, a measure that could make people more alert, isn't taken. The official reason is "it doesnt help to prevent further spreading of the virus", but the reality is of course, the economic damage it could cause. Because people in the affected region wouldn't want to go out shopping anymore.

- Schools aren't closed yet, again, official reason: it wont help to prevent spreading the virus. But the real reason is: people can not take care for their own children, they would have to stay home from work, it will damage the economy. Every measure the government takes, always has as a sole purpose to benefit the economy.

The government still encourages people to travel, to go to public gatherings etc... not to help spread the virus, but to benefit the economy.

Italy has been enacting this policy for a couple of weeks now, and the results are devastating: an explosion of infections today, and many deaths. The italian economy is broken now, and so they could as well take the necessary measures to benefit public health. But this is much, MUCH too late. My god, it's like war. The effects will manifest for a long time to come. How will the public take the inadequacy of the government? What will be the reaction?"

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, action said:

excerpt from my diary, from around the start of the epidemy:

" march 2nd, 2020 - thoughts. 

-We're 3 days in quarantaine already because of the corona virus. We have let our son stay home from school. The government is lax in their attitude towards the virus. We're lucky to have received a doctor's note for our son.

march 5th, 2020.

- the belgian government doesn't want to tell where the infected live. in the netherlands they do. Again, a measure that could make people more alert, isn't taken. The official reason is "it doesnt help to prevent further spreading of the virus", but the reality is of course, the economic damage it could cause. Because people in the affected region wouldn't want to go out shopping anymore.

- Schools aren't closed yet, again, official reason: it wont help to prevent spreading the virus. But the real reason is: people can not take care for their own children, they would have to stay home from work, it will damage the economy. Every measure the government takes, always has as a sole purpose to benefit the economy.

The government still encourages people to travel, to go to public gatherings etc... not to help spread the virus, but to benefit the economy.

Italy has been enacting this policy for a couple of weeks now, and the results are devastating: an explosion of infections today, and many deaths. The italian economy is broken now, and so they could as well take the necessary measures to benefit public health. But this is much, MUCH too late. My god, it's like war. The effects will manifest for a long time to come. How will the public take the inadequacy of the government? What will be the reaction?"

Why do you write your diary in English? And well done on transcribing all that in 12 minutes. 

Seeing as we're sharing ''quarantaine'' diary entries from early March...

March 2, 1944

Dearest Kitty,

Margot and I were in the attic together today. I can't enjoy being there with her the way I imagine it'd be with Peter (or someone else). I know she feels the same about most things as I do! While doing the dishes, Bep began talking to mother and Mrs. van Daan about how discouraged she gets. What help did those two offer her? Our tactless mother, especially, only made things go from bad to worse. Do you know what her advice was? That she should think about all the other people in the world who are suffering! How can thinking about the misery of others help if you're miserable yourself? I said as much. Their response, of course, was that I should stay out of conversations of this sort.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do you write your diary in English? And well done on transcribing all that in 12 minutes. 

it's written in dutch, but I believe that wouldn't be ideal for these purposes.

Some parts are written in english actually. I find, I can sometimes express myself better in english. Dutch seems a bit wonky at times.

Edited by action
Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Good language tool for learning a secondary language, keeping a diary.

Fair enough. I’m actually really jealous. Always wanted to learn Latin. Reckon it’d be great for pulling students. :D 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Fair enough. I’m actually really jealous. Always wanted to learn Latin. Reckon it’d be great for pulling students. :D 

I've had two years of latin, but failed.

my biggest regret in life. I gave up. Now, I can't bother anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

When Coke Classic went away and they brought in New Coke, that was wokeness to the extreme. They cancelled coke and dared to change a branding logo. What scum they are!

(... like if your mind has been rotted by consuming right wing twitter that is :lol:)

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is racism sorted out then,

wire-33518692-1600852564-817_634x489.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8763275/Mars-drops-Uncle-Bens-reveals-new-rice-brand.html

The latest episode of her guide on spotting things that are racist,

not predator!

the team has a black person, a native american, a dudebro american, a gay clone look character, a nerd, apollo creed and a vietcon chick. it couldn't possibly be more inclusive.

oh well, it was expected. woke pussies must feel insecure watching all those badass characters

1 hour ago, action said:

not predator!

the team has a black person, a native american, a dudebro american, a gay clone look character, a nerd, apollo creed and a vietcon chick. it couldn't possibly be more inclusive.

oh well, it was expected. woke pussies must feel insecure watching all those badass characters

Enforcing cisgendered and race-colonial methodologies of subconscious uniform thinking. Educate yourself. 

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Enforcing cisgendered and race-colonial methodologies of subconscious uniform thinking. Educate yourself. 

Why is Uncle Ben racist out of interest?  Not being funny, genuinely interested, was he meant to be a caricature of a ‘house negro’ or something?  

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Why is Uncle Ben racist out of interest?  Not being funny, genuinely interested, was he meant to be a caricature of a ‘house negro’ or something?  

From 1946-2020, Uncle Ben's products carried the image of an elderly African-American man dressed in a bow tie, which is said to have been based on a Chicago maître d'hôtel named Frank Brown. According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben's as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben's_Original#cite_note-14 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are asking me why woke is woke? 

Well you don't have to agree with it to understand it, I figured you generally...know things (whatever that means :lol:).  If he's a rice grower whats wrong with him being on a packet of rice, I mean he's not a slave or anything, right?  Unless they look at it and see like...a caricature of a 'house negro' or something, which surely is a racist act in itself, isn't it, seeing a black bloke on a product, particularly an old one and immediately equating it with some sharecropper sitting on the porch of a shotgun house singing spirituals? 

How about Aunt Bessie, isn't that sort of a racial stereotype, namely that all northern women are homely looking middle-aged white birds in aprons with big bristols that make Yorkshire puddings? 

Edited by Len Cnut
2 minutes ago, action said:

there is no logic, only emotion. much like with the nazis

Not sure I'd go that far...just seems a bit like overcompensation to me.  Or rather, a firm going over and beyond logic cuz they don't want to lose money when a popular social movement turns its arrows towards them.  Its all very cynical really.