"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Listen to the meister.

Perfect rice every time in no less than twenty minutes. No stirring bollocks. No draining water away like dopey Brits do, leaving a starchy mess. 

I don't think the right way is to mention minutes. it all depends on the temperature of your water: higher temperatures mean a shorter cooking time.

Really, it isn't complexer than waiting till the rice sucked up all the water. guaranteed perfect cuisson, "al dente" rice.

also, 2 cm water above rice level? seems a bit much. Isn't your rice a bit blubbery this way? I think rice needs to have a bit of "bite".

and then if it's cooked, the fun begins. Real butter in a pan, non salted, bake the rice in it and season. Star level cooking.

2 minutes ago, action said:

I don't think the right way is to mention minutes. it all depends on the temperature of your water: higher temperatures mean a shorter cooking time.

Really, it isn't complexer than waiting till the rice sucked up all the water. guaranteed perfect cuisson, "al dente" rice.

also, 2 cm water above rice level? seems a bit much. Isn't your rice a bit blubbery this way? I think rice needs to have a bit of "bite".

and then if it's cooked, the fun begins. Real butter in a pan, non salted, bake the rice in it and season. Star level cooking.

Don't query the master. 

I learnt from Ken Hom. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Don't query the master. 

we should have a rice cooking contest, with @Len Cnut being the judge

4 minutes ago, soon said:

You could use a double boiler over the cooking pot of rice to use the heat to infuse coconut oil with cannabis! Great idea! :lol:

yeah do that, then come on here and post your observations :P

I learned all my tricks from my dad- in law.

I took my digital voice recorder with me, had him sit at my table with a cool glass of trappist, and asked him to tell me everything he knew, one recipe at a time. the secrets he told me are invaluable. I'm making balls in tomato sauce no problem, among other things.

the old folk sure know how to cook with flavour.

3 minutes ago, action said:

yeah do that, then come on here and post your observations :P

Well, that infusion wouldnt have activated THC, so Id need to bake some cookies with the oil first... and then come post my observations :lol:

Also, just as an amendment to an earlier post - fried rice is my go to for excess rice!! :drool:

• Haha 1

Just now, soon said:

Well, that infusion wouldnt have activated THC, so Id need to bake some cookies with the oil first... and then come post my observations :lol:

Also, just as an amendment to an earlier post - fried rice is my go to for excess rice!! :drool:

yeah do that brother. teach us the secrets of the universe

• Haha 1

Just now, action said:

I'm making balls in tomato sauce no problem, among other things.

Come again? :lol:

1 minute ago, action said:

yeah do that brother. teach us the secrets of the universe

When I get high, I like to really get there. Useless and in the fetal position is by bag :lol:

Just now, action said:

we should have a rice cooking contest, with @Len Cnut being the judge

In Len's culture one can sell a large bag of rice and receive two brides and 4 goats in return.

1 minute ago, soon said:

Come again? :lol:

I'm assuming he means meatballs, unless he likes to dip his scrotum into a ragout!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, toroymoi said:

Cancel culture isn't real, I've yet to see someone who's been 'cancelled' for something not heinous and have it stick, people forget eventually and those who still care aren't paid attention to regardless of the validity of their concern. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Agreed.  I think there's just a lot of voices out there, what with social media and facebook etc.  Everybody has a bit of a victim complex, everybody wants to be the fuckin' hard-done-by.  For every call of racism there's someone out there thinkin' 'well what about me/my group?'.  For every time someone makes a stand for women there's a guy or a bunch of guys out there thinkin' 'well, we have it hard too'.  Its all about how seriously you take that shit.  I mean its like a band right, a band puts a record out, how popular it is is decided by how many people buy the fuckin' thing...but now everybody has a fuckin' twitter account so they can get out and grade your shit and depending on how you take shit and how inclined you are to get into your feelings like a little ho you can find yourself sitting there going 'oh woe is me, everybody criticises our band' but end of the day its all bullshit, its all like the little letters sections in magazines like Melody Maker...only there's millions of the quasi-academic cunts out there now. 

Nobody can cancel anybody and you can be as offensive as you so wish, there's are umpteen examples of extremely unpolitically correct people and even organisations out there.  Look at people like Ricky Gervais and Frankie Boyle, are they not extremely offensive to some people?  Isn't Eminem still extremely offensive to some people, is there not a furore every time he releases an album (or an attempt to create one) over some line or another...but he just keeps it moving and nobody gives a shit in 5 days time, all these newspapers and shit, its all tommorows chip paper. 

I think its a really interesting era to not give a fuck in.  Its easy to not give a fuck when the masses are silent but now you get this different kinda pressure cuz there's so many condemnatory voices so to keep it moving these days and still do what you do is a non-comprising fashion is something quite special I feel. 

Look at someone like Morrissey, he's basically like a cancel culture wet dream right, saying all this 'controversial' supposedly right wing shit that getting on peoples nerves, hurting feelings, calls for him to be cancelled etc etc.  Last I looked he's stil releasing albums, still doing shows (up until Covid) and still not giving a fuck, like he always didn't give a fuck.  And his controversial comments address a lot of the political hot potatoes of the day like race etc.  He don't give a fuck. 

There's a very easy solution to it all too, just sign out.  Its a click of a button and cancel culture vanishes.  These things really don't exist in real life, they are an illusion, something you are led to believe is out there, floating through the ether hanging over you.  But its all in your mind. 

I kinda think that the pandemic and attendant lock downs have giving more people the opportunity to reflect on the world. And its a fast paced world that is headed towards exponential changes.

Cancel cultures been around for minute (cancelling, 2013, cancel culture 2017) but is only now being widely discussed. Its the perfect storm - Its a topic one may have missed in their busy lives that also touches on fears of the changes in todays society.

But like, lets cancel fossil fuels!

7 hours ago, toroymoi said:

Cancel culture isn't real, I've yet to see someone who's been 'cancelled' for something not heinous and have it stick, people forget eventually and those who still care aren't paid attention to regardless of the validity of their concern. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Id certainly expect to see examples of it in this thread if it were more 'real.' Instead we see people whine about 'wokeness' and post things that are not examples of cancel culture. lol

The only concrete example that I recall in this thread is when I talked about Grimes being cancelled and then reborn and back in the scene. So, much as youve laid out is what happened to Grimes (though I suspect she engineered the entire thing)

22 hours ago, toroymoi said:

Society is a bit more sensitive now, more afraid of mishaps, it has become very easy to rally up social media attacks on companies and individuals who transgress, especially by doing something racially insensitive or misogynistic. I don't think people have changed much, but society is always in flux and what was okay years ago is now not so much and social media is such a powerful platform for protests and movements. So cancel culture is just a term to describe the fierce self-justice of a society where anyone can criticize anyone at a push of a button, and mostly used by those who are, rightfully or not, recipients of this "cancelling". 

• Like 1

there are people who should not have the "right" to express themselves on social media. Some people are so stupid, that they become dangerous when given the tools of social media, and those exposure.

You should "earn" the right to post on social media, for example by passing for an exam. A minimum of intellect should be required.

26 minutes ago, action said:

there are people who should not have the "right" to express themselves on social media. Some people are so stupid, that they become dangerous when given the tools of social media, and those exposure.

You should "earn" the right to post on social media, for example by passing for an exam. A minimum of intellect should be required.

Well thats me fucked then :lol: