"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

1 hour ago, action said:

there are people who should not have the "right" to express themselves on social media. Some people are so stupid, that they become dangerous when given the tools of social media, and those exposure.

You should "earn" the right to post on social media, for example by passing for an exam. A minimum of intellect should be required.

Thats what Hitler would do! :lol:

The major platforms are all at least pretending to start to care about this type of thing. Some have applied various fact checking and/or links to reliable news sources placed with in users nonesense posts. Will be interesting to see how far they take those types of measures. They are currently very scant.

The problem isnt who companies in a free market let onto their platforms initially, its really down the users/people starting to only seek out reliable sources. The worlds online population needs to grow the fuck up and take responsibility for their own feeds.

And its not only social medai platforms contributing to this. One option for the consumer is that there are alternative search engines you can use that dont tailor info to the users online history. For example, if someone has been searching conspiracy theories and then looks up "Joe Biden" these alternative types of search engines wont then automatically supply links to conspiracies on Biden. Rather, it will offer the most relivant info on Biden. Most common search engines would offer the conspiracies on Biden because it knows you have some sort of interest in conspiracies. The consumer might then think that this search result is in some way indicative of reality at large and take to Socials with it. This is a major issue.

58 minutes ago, soon said:

Thats what Hitler would do! :lol:

The major platforms are all at least pretending to start to care about this type of thing. Some have applied various fact checking and/or links to reliable news sources placed with in users nonesense posts. Will be interesting to see how far they take those types of measures. They are currently very scant.

The problem isnt who companies in a free market let onto their platforms initially, its really down the users/people starting to only seek out reliable sources. The worlds online population needs to grow the fuck up and take responsibility for their own feeds.

And its not only social medai platforms contributing to this. One option for the consumer is that there are alternative search engines you can use that dont tailor info to the users online history. For example, if someone has been searching conspiracy theories and then looks up "Joe Biden" these alternative types of search engines wont then automatically supply links to conspiracies on Biden. Rather, it will offer the most relivant info on Biden. Most common search engines would offer the conspiracies on Biden because it knows you have some sort of interest in conspiracies. The consumer might then think that this search result is in some way indicative of reality at large and take to Socials with it. This is a major issue.

I believe in freedom of "speech", but only in freedom of speech. 99,99 % of what happens on social media is not speech, but distributing writings. There is no freedom to write, only freedom of speech.

When freedom of speech was conceived, social media didn't exist. it was therefore not of the founders' intentions to incorporate freedom of social media into freedom of speech. there is a difference, that is surely not academic. Social media, we have seen this, is a very powerful media that can have real damaging consequence to companies, people and even national security. We really need to rethink which people we will give access to social media. It's all well and good to give your opinion at the bakery store (rather harmless), it's really something else to post the same opinion on social media (a matter of national security)

1 hour ago, soon said:

I googled this and I happily found this issue is not as severe as you make it seem (:lol:).

It is a big problem with people who get their news from Facebook and twitter, though.

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I googled this and I happily found this issue is not as severe as you make it seem (:lol:).

It is a big problem with people who get their news from Facebook and twitter, though.

Once again youve missed the point (:lol:)

Im not intersted in your confused thoughts at all. The confused logic that has you use google to to verify how good google is. :lol:

I certaily cant be held accountable for your presumptions on how serious I think it is, either. Get a fucking clue, please.

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/09/fred-perry-withdraws-polo-shirt-amid-fascist-association/

companies, I have learned, have values which they stand for. 

you heard it right: not only do companies sell fashion to make profit, they want to express certain values too while they are getting in your pockets.

fred perry now stops selling his product, a yellow/ black polo, because apparently it is worn by the neo nazis of proud boys. the company of fred perry  doesn't "support" extreme right ideals since these do not comply with the ideals of the company.

so their ideal to make money, the core value of any company, is of lesser value than their value of expressing leftist ideals. that'll be a lot less cash for the coming financial year, lol.

imagine having to stop selling your product because it happens to be used by neo nazis., "pretending" that it doesn't comply with your values. the company needs to fake wokism to respond to criticism, it needs to lie, in order to make less money. My god, you needs to be crazy to start any company these days. Soon, we'll all have to walk around naked since there won't be clothes companies left.

Edited by action

16 minutes ago, action said:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/09/fred-perry-withdraws-polo-shirt-amid-fascist-association/

companies, I have learned, have values which they stand for. 

you heard it right: not only do companies sell fashion to make profit, they want to express certain values too while they are getting in your pockets.

fred perry now stops selling his product, a yellow/ black polo, because apparently it is worn by the neo nazis of proud boys. the company of fred perry  doesn't "support" extreme right ideals since these do not comply with the ideals of the company.

so their ideal to make money, the core value of any company, is of lesser value than their value of expressing leftist ideals. that'll be a lot less cash for the coming financial year, lol.

imagine having to stop selling your product because it happens to be used by neo nazis., "pretending" that it doesn't comply with your values. the company needs to fake wokism to respond to criticism, it needs to lie, in order to make less money. My god, you needs to be crazy to start any company these days. Soon, we'll all have to walk around naked since there won't be clothes companies left.

One of the main flaws in your post is the bizarre assertion that only leftist oppose “neo nazis”

the other flaw - which you seem to get correct, and then suddenly pivot to an incorrect position is that, yes, a company has its values and is free to want to exclude and distance itself from right wing scum.

4 minutes ago, soon said:

One of the main flaws in your post is the bizarre assertion that only leftist oppose “neo nazis”

the other flaw - which you seem to get correct, and then suddenly pivot to an incorrect position is that, yes, a company has its values and is free to want to exclude and distance itself from right wing scum.

the biggest problem here is of course hypocrisy. fred perry doesn't really want to stop sell these polo's -  it loses him money. He is "forced" by the circumstances, and he "fakes" that it is all because of his values: it isn't: it's because of pressure by society.

furthermore, if he really is sincere he should just close his company altogether, since it will forever be linked to proud boys. How far will he be willing to  suffer financial losses for his supposed "ideals"? Again, what a farcical charade.

there should be a company who goes "so what, surely its not my fault my product is used by neo nazis", but no. these companies just don't have any backbone. I hope he gets bankrupt for this idiocy.

5 minutes ago, action said:

the biggest problem here is of course hypocrisy. fred perry doesn't really want to stop sell these polo's -  it loses him money. He is "forced" by the circumstances, and he "fakes" that it is all because of his values: it isn't: it's because of pressure by society.

furthermore, if he really is sincere he should just close his company altogether, since it will forever be linked to proud boys. How far will he be willing to  suffer financial losses for his supposed "ideals"? Again, what a farcical charade.

there should be a company who goes "so what, surely its not my fault my product is used by neo nazis", but no. these companies just don't have any backbone. I hope he gets bankrupt for this idiocy.

Nah

44 minutes ago, action said:

rihanna being canceled now for including islamic brabble in  her new fashion show

and to think, that she probably did this to earn those precious woke points

the woke are eating themselves

This is the first time I’ve seen someone try and claim that a conservative approach to Islam is “woke.” And it’s the first time I’ve heard of all muslims being referred to as “woke.” :lol:

So thirsty for outrage? 

11 minutes ago, soon said:

This is the first time I’ve seen someone try and claim that a conservative approach to Islam is “woke.” And it’s the first time I’ve heard of all muslims being referred to as “woke.” :lol:

So thirsty for outrage? 

I was as surprised as you, kid.

I say that a lot actually: "that's the first time I've seen [insert curious event here]". As I said before: society is becoming more insane as time goes on

3 minutes ago, action said:

I was as surprised as you, kid.

I say that a lot actually: "that's the first time I've seen [insert curious event here]". As I said before: society is becoming more insane as time goes on

Wait, what? You are the person who tried to frame a conservative approach to Islam as being “woke” :lol:

As far as it being a sign of the times, this is the old Madonna playbook - blending religion, fashion and sex. It’s done for the shocked response.

And I can understand responses from muslims - disrespecting the Hadith basically says ‘we don’t want muslims as customers or as part of our community.’

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Oh they both do it or at least try to, it's just that groups that are right of center that try to cancel, usually have a lot less institutional power to actually make good on their threats.

Well, I mean, the right are successfully cancelling democratic customs and norms.

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Well, I mean, the right are successfully cancelling democratic customs and norms.

Different discussion. I'm just referring to the cancelling of individuals or groups via boycotts or kicking them off a platform or payment processor. The right can't compete with the left in that arena.

32 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Different discussion. I'm just referring to the cancelling of individuals or groups via boycotts or kicking them off a platform or payment processor. The right can't compete with the left in that arena.

I ask this earnestly, but are there examples of "left" organizations that conduct the same behaviour as right groups that are not being cancelled from social media or payment platforms?  

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

I ask this earnestly, but are there examples of "left" organizations that conduct the same behaviour as right groups that are not being cancelled from social media or payment platforms?  

I don't have links at the ready, but from my recollection I remember antifa or antifa adjacent type accounts openly making threats of violence and not being kicked off. The right wing guys were getting kicked off, and not even for making threats of violence, but for violating social norms with pollical opinions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I don't have links at the ready, but from my recollection I remember antifa or antifa adjacent type accounts openly making threats of violence and not being kicked off. The right wing guys were getting kicked off, and not even for making threats of violence, but for violating social norms with pollical opinions.

I've only ever seen antifa-associated groups or people threaten violence as a response to violence (with respect to self-defence).   I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would need to see some examples where this kind of dynamic plays out.