"Cancel Culture" Opinions?

RussTCB

26 minutes ago, action said:

yeah well, keep on waffling pointdexter :lol:

Meaning Im a nerd? I didnt know you could tell :lol: Although punning is the height of nerdom, so....

24 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I digress.  I really enjoyed my Belgian waffle when I was there. :shrugs::lol:

Ah, that's just down to how everything is nicer when youre abroad (And by "abroad", I mean to say that youre a woman :lol:)

I mean lets think about the flavour profile:

- Waffle (sweet)

- whipped cream (sweet)

- Strawberries (sweet)

- icing sugar (sweet)

I wonder what amazing chef realized that sweet would pair with sweet so well? :lol:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Heard a great story on the radio about this sort of thing the other day.

Guy calls into the show and says he’s sick of all this cancel culture because he can’t say anything in public anymore without fear of reprisals. 

Host says to him “so what is it that you really want to say that you can’t because of cancel culture?”

Guy goes onto say that he lives near Heathrow airport and he’s sick of all the Pakistanis because there’s loads of them and they all stink of curry. :lol: 

At that point you have to ask yourself, is it cancel culture or do people just want it to be okay to be racist in public again?

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

At that point you have to ask yourself, is it cancel culture or do people just want it to be okay to be racist in public again?

I think it's 80 percent this. 

But I do agree that some of the efforts to kill careers based on rather innocuous or unserious comments can be a bit much.  

The one area I do agree with Mahre on is that there's no consideration or appreciation for personal growth.  It's one thing to take issue with what someone says yesterday or a year or two.  It's another where people find decades old comments that don't reflect what they believe now.  I know my own views on various matters have evolved since I was a teenager and it would be crazy to be judged on the person I once was rather than who I am now.

But on the whole, yeah, it's the same argument made against political correctness.  People just want to feel entitled and free of guilt for being assholes.

• Like 2

There is just blatant, nasty, cruel undeniable RACIST comments.

that is one thing

Then there are things that are not politically correct, FUNNY AS HELL and of course, the delivery by the person or dhow makes a difference.

Grorge Carlin would be canceled  today .

In Living Color would not be on the air. One thing ILC had I thought was too far was The HandiCop. It was poor taste.  Psychical   disabilities are  never funny. I  would not bother watching that

Chris Rock’s comedy shows. .. Not today. He was just funny about the choices people make and jokes about ethnic groups .

One thing, the N word needs to be burned, buried. 

The cancel culture. There is no redemption. No excuse that you said an awful thing when you were in 6 th grade and now you are 46, lol. Canceled .

17 hours ago, Dazey said:

Heard a great story on the radio about this sort of thing the other day.

Guy calls into the show and says he’s sick of all this cancel culture because he can’t say anything in public anymore without fear of reprisals. 

Host says to him “so what is it that you really want to say that you can’t because of cancel culture?”

Guy goes onto say that he lives near Heathrow airport and he’s sick of all the Pakistanis because there’s loads of them and they all stink of curry. :lol: 

That sums it up. He's saying he can't say anything anymore while saying it on a radio station who are broadcasting it.  What he meant to say is that he wants to say whatever he wants (which he can) without being called a cunt for doing so (which he cant).

It's bullshit.

No you shouldn't be racist, homophobic, etc.

But one's life should not be ruined without evidence because some people on social media who have nothing better to do said so.

If you are offended by media of any kind, change the fucking channel or put your phone down.

Also do not tell people who are actually a man or a woman, what is a man or woman.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

• 1 month later...

I keep seeing this idea that cancel culture should be called "consequences culture". I've also heard the idea that if you disagree with cancel culture, you must be a racist, a misogynst or just plain stupid. 

I could not disagree more with both of the ideas above. I'm none of those things and I completely disagree with the current state of cancel culture. 

I think we have to get back to a point where it's OK for people to make mistakes and learn. I also think the world as a whole could benefit a whole lot from trying to see where others are coming from. 

Someone said or did something you don't like? OK, well how about trying to get the root of why they said or did it? It seems like we could get a lot further with that instead of just sending scores of faceless anonymous mobs after people with hashtags. 

Are there genuinely bad, hateful people out there that can't be reached? Sure. But I like to believe that the greater majority of people are good overall. 

I really believe that if we spent more time understanding and trying to build each other up, we'd have a lot less problems in the world. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 4

I'm am so tired of everyone having an opinion on what is okay to say and do and if others don't agree you are wrong or a racist.

What is past is past! Hopefully, most of us have grown from it and most of us were not even born. Every country has done fucked up shit in the past. Nothing new. We are human beings who fuck up. Yeah, some things have gotten better and some have gotten worse. Can we all change? no, some of us can and others can't it's the way things are.

I wish we all could be more tolerant of each other and our beliefs and feelings, but that's not going to happen.

I don't have an answer and I doubt anyone else does. We have to learn from our mistakes and try to do better. look forward not behind or we'll be stuck in the past forever. We know what has been done wrong, so we need to try to change it without rioting and killing each other.

Dont you guys all see this cancel culture is all media driven bullshit.

Media is to blame for cancel culture.

They will run any social media post from any whinger and claim its news or a new movement even if its a minority of peoples views.

Media shoves all this down everyones throats as news while the weak minded or scared get influenced. 

Switch off the mainstream media. 

17 minutes ago, vloors said:

Dont you guys all see this cancel culture is all media driven bullshit.

Media is to blame for cancel culture.

They will run any social media post from any whinger and claim its news or a new movement even if its a minority of peoples views.

Media shoves all this down everyones throats as news while the weak minded or scared get influenced. 

Switch off the mainstream media. 

Oh I definitely agree. The less mass media I consume, the happier I am. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I keep seeing this idea that cancel culture should be called "consequences culture". I've also heard the idea that if you disagree with cancel culture, you must be a racist, a misogynst or just plain stupid. 

I don't think both are fair assessments. 

But I also think too much of this is painted with too broad of a brush.

My issue with the criticisms of cancel culture are that they are often overly broad and often serve a political agenda.  Conservatives like to paint all instances of cancel culture of the "woke" mob out to ruin anyone who disagrees with them.  But as I've pointed out numerous times in this thread, they have a long history of trying to cancel people and groups of people they disagree with.  Right now the number three Republican in the House of Representatives is about to lose her leadership position because she continually refutes the party line on Trump's election loss.  

I also disagree that all calls to "cancel" someone for their words is misplaced or wrong.  There are actions and words that should face consequences, sometimes serious consequences.  Blaming "cancel culture" in some cases is a cop-out. 

One example is when New York Governor Andrew Cuomo blamed cancel culture on people demanding his resignation for the numerous women coming forward with claims of harassment or abuse.  It's an inane response that attempts to excuse his behaviour by latching on to a trendy pejorative concept that loses its meaning when employed in such a fashion.

But like anything, there are instances where calls for social or economic consequences go too far.  People can grow and evolve and statements said in people's past should not be used as ammunition to banish them from society.  The movement of moving to a fairer and more understanding society needs to also allow for apologies and ownership of past problems.  

Ultimately I think each instance needs to be considered on its own and not part of some overarching effort.